View poll results: How do you feel?
66 53%
Dislike
12 10%
Indifferent
46 37%
Voters: 124.
Page 1 of 3
Since the "This guy blew my mind..." thread I've noticed that a lot of people have an opinion on the hip-hop icon "Eminem". We've discussed JT, and maybe I'll do a "How does the pit feel?" whenever there's someone(or something) "important" that I'd like to discuss with the community, here in the pit. I know it's really "pop-culturey" but I think it will probably be interesting, to say the least, if we conduct these in the manner that "advice" threads are conducted; sort of, "I don't know how to feel about ____ " convince me that your way of feeling about is best, for or against. If you're in the middle I still added a voting option for you so that everybody is happy(happy).

Anyway, how do you feel about him as an artist/songwriter, public figure, musical influence, and just him in general?
"Dude, am I really thinking or am I, just like, thinking that I'm thinking?" -Bill Nye

CHIMPS>WOLVES

Quote by progdude93
I don't believe the Big Bang
He annoys me
He thinks he's black when actually he's some weedy white jerk
And he spends too much time whinging about the past
And generally I think he's a freaking douche
I have nothing important to say
I generally like his stuff. Haven't heard the new album but I hated Rap God.
he isn't terrible but I don't listen to him. He's pretty damn overrated. I think just because he's white. If he was another black rapper know one would know him. But just because he was the first mediocre white rapper everyone turned him into some rap icon.
Wheres the "just alright" option
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I dig him. Slim Shady and Marshall Mathers are frickin' brilliant. Then he kind of fell off my radar, and as time went on, he became worse and worse.

HOWEVER. the new album is suprisingly good. Rock solide. APART from frickin' guest-choruses, which makes me want to scratch out my eyeballs (Except on the track "Desperation", that's awesome. And it's actually.. a BLUES-RAP song. How cool does it get?)

Anyway, all in all, he has put out more misses than hits, but his hits are so damn good that it blows away any other rap-artist in my opinion. So i generally like him.

I don't remember who said it, but it was well said. "It's a different world. The president is a black man and the best rapper out there is a scrawny white guy" Amen to that.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I recently went back and listened to all his stuff again to get ready for MMLP2.

Infinite through to Eminem Show were good albums that varied the funny, psychotic, sad, angry and touching. He was in his prime at this point, had an hunger and reason to try and be the best.

Encore came out and was just a jumbled mess, you can see he was in the throes of addiction and how that effected his skill to write any substantial material.

Relapse and Recovery were better. Relapse got annoying with the stupid voices on all the songs and maybe took the alter ego a bit too far. Recovery seemed to be a more of a wangstfest. Although not as good as he was, they seemed like album he had to make to get rid of some demons.

I didn't expect much when I found out he named his new MMLP2, as MMLP was my favourite of his, but I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. While not on par with MMLP it had a good mix of all his personalities on the album and was easily his best album since The Eminem Show.

Also, if anyone wants to listen to someone a bit like Eminem back when he started, try Hopsin.
Last edited by Malchius at Nov 16, 2013,
Eminem is one of the greatest rappers of all time. Fight me.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Wormholes
he isn't terrible but I don't listen to him. He's pretty damn overrated. I think just because he's white. If he was another black rapper know one would know him. But just because he was the first mediocre white rapper everyone turned him into some rap icon.

People like this are more annoying than the ones who worship Em tbh.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I find him grating after a while but he's skilled and has some cool stuff. No strong opinions really
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
He's talented, got some good music. Don't listen to him much but around these parts he's kind of a big deal.

So if I have more right to be annoyed by him than most of you, you can deal.
Quote by Andrea55
I dont like him. His voice sounds squeaky.

ya this. He can rhyme but I just don't like his voice.
very skilled lyricist no doubt, though i respect him more than i like him.

Quote by StewieSwan
Eminem is one of the greatest rappers of all time. Fight me.

Nas over Eminem any day of the week, any day. definitely up there though.
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
the one rapper that gets a nostalgia pass. he raps like a monster but his actual material is really mediocre and immature
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I'm not a rap fan, but I think his good stuff is genius. I definitely give him respect for what he's done.
Quote by Cianyx
the one rapper that gets a nostalgia pass. he raps like a monster but his actual material is really mediocre and immature

listen to Bad Guy off MMLP2. He checked himself long before anyone else
My God, it's full of stars!
Eh, he has some really good songs, but also some stuff that's terrible. I don't really have any strong feelings, but I feel like he's an artist that I could be one good album choice away from really liking. I could end up loving the guy in a year or two, but as of right now indifferent.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
No one beats Snoop. Not Shady, Dre, or even Tupac. Granted, no one would know who Shady and Snoop werre if it weren't for Dre. Did Eminem even do anything, after Recovery?
¯\_()_/¯
I loved him when I started listening to rap but I think he fell off after The Eminem Show. Haven't really liked his new stuff though. If I want a white rapper I'd either take Macklemore or Aesop Rock.
I'm indifferent. I don't like much rap, but he is obviously very good at what he does and I respect that. And he has some good songs. Lose Yourself is probably my favorite rap song ever.
Quote by Wormholes

Fun fact--Dr. Dre faced a ton of criticism from his label for trying to take a white rapper under his wing.

The idea that Eminem only became famous because he's white is childish. Sure that might have gotten him more attention than otherwise, but he's generally considered to be one of the best in the business for a reason. Being white might have gotten him attention, but his skill in his craft maintained that fame.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
MMLP was good and it's one of the only two hip hop albums I still listen to (the other being Operation: Doomsday).

MMLP2 was disappointing. Really the only things I liked on it were a few distinct parts in Rap God (which also had probably the worst part on the album) and Kendrick Lamar's bit on that track he's on.
He wants to bring back "old" Eminem (slim shady/whatever), but he isn't really in same situations anymore, so it falls flat super hard.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
The idea that Eminem only became famous because he's white is childish. Sure that might have gotten him more attention than otherwise, but he's generally considered to be one of the best in the business for a reason. Being white might have gotten him attention, but his skill in his craft maintained that fame.

If being a mediocre white guy that raps and has the spotlight was enough to make it, Kevin Federline would be remembered more for his crappy music instead of his Superbowl commercial.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

+1

Much more realistic to say that he had a harder time getting his career started because he was white, not the other way around. Rap was, and still is, a style that enjoys "black privilege", for lack of a better phrase since I hate describing things via privilege.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by CaptainCanti
No one beats Snoop. Not Shady, Dre, or even Tupac. Granted, no one would know who Shady and Snoop werre if it weren't for Dre. Did Eminem even do anything, after Recovery?

He just released a new album
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
He just released a new album

I thouvht his new album was just a best of
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by Dreadnought
+1

Much more realistic to say that he had a harder time getting his career started because he was white, not the other way around. Rap was, and still is, a style that enjoys "black privilege", for lack of a better phrase since I hate describing things via privilege.

I agree, I'd never heard Infinite when I was really into him, but listened to it recently for the first time and blown away with the quality. It was a shame when I read that he was only able to sell around 1,000 copies of it out the back of his car, because he was a white guy trying to rap.

But on the other hand we wouldn't of got SSLP or MMLP if Infinite sold well, he wouldn't of been angry enough.
I'm a total Stan. Atleast up until Encore. His later stuff isn't as great as his classic albums. Recovery was good and could have been great if it wasn't for the cheezy production. I need to listen to MMLP2 more before i give my verdict but from what i've heard so far it sounds more like Relapse2.
I think we can all agree tbat ronnie radke is a decent white rapper
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by jimihendrix6699
very skilled lyricist no doubt, though i respect him more than i like him.

exactly this
West Ham United
Quote by LostLegion

The problem with his whole "burning Jimi and buying Clapton" line is that Hendrix actually said Clapton inspired him, so technically speaking Clapton was essential for Jimi, and therefore more important, because no Clapton means no Jimi, so you can have Clapton without Jimi, but not Jimi without Clapton.

Now if he had replaced Jimi with BB King or Albert King or Muddy Waters or another one of the big names in blues that got over to the UK and inspired guys like Clapton in the first place, it works. But as it is it's a broken metaphor.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Nov 16, 2013,
Quote by Dreadnought
+1

Yeah, it would have been a bitch for him to get noticed and the positive attention he would get for being white wouldn't have happened until he already had burst onto the scene. It was probably more like:

"pft, a white rapper? Yeah right, soon there will be a black golfer"
"Oh damn check out this white rapper"
"holy shit this guy is actually really good"
*five years pass*
"This guy is still really good"

The novelty of him being white wore off rather quickly, only idiots actually care. Hell, he's probably the reason hip-hop became very popular with white people around the time I was a kid

It's kinda like the idea that Barack Obama was only elected because he's black. People seem to forget that black people overwhelmingly vote Democrat anyway and, ya know, maybe being black would cause him to lose votes too.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 3