Do you have any artists you listen to that you won't openly admit to people you know?

Page 1 of 2
I'll be honest here, sometimes i listen to Michael Jackson and Prince, but i don't tell anyone in real life. It's like a hidden secret that no one knows, except UG of course.
uhhh, i'm trying but i can't think of anything that i'm too proud to admit to listening to.
Quote by IronTallicaDeth
I'll be honest here, sometimes i listen to Michael Jackson and Prince, but i don't tell anyone in real life. It's like a hidden secret that no one knows, except UG of course.

Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Lights.

Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by IronTallicaDeth

lol, that's nothing embarrassing.

Iron Maiden, Metallica, and Megadeth on the other hand... >_>
no, I'm quite proud of my tastes, even the bad ones.
but i did learn and play a nickelback song for a girl like half an hour ago
>>
<<
might not be mentioning that to my friends.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
No, it's only music. If people decide to judge me on the kind of music I like I probably wouldn't want to be friends with them anyway.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I think that when some musicians reach such an epic status in their genre they just become universally acceptable - I believe Michael Jackson and Prince fall into that category. I generally don't hide my musical tastes, I enjoy flaunting myself as a superiorly cultural individual. There are some things that I hesitate to tell people though, and its mostly because I don't think people would typically expect them from a guy like me or would listen to themselves so I just keep them to myself. These include a lot of Jazz musicians, especially when I pull out the Gilberto & Getz records. Most recently though - Grimes. I get a really weird but relaxed feeling from her music.

Edit:

In case that didn't go through well over the internet, I don't tell people about liking classical music, jazz, and any other music typically considered 'old' or 'classic' because they tend to instantly assume that I'm just a cynical asshole against new music or think highly of myself as some sort of intellectual for liking classical music.
Last edited by Picklelerner at Nov 16, 2013,
Phil Collins, like you said though ^, not a sin.

On the other hand I listen to songs from artists that I wouldn't openly tell many people. Like this one Whitney Houston song that has a really nice melody.

Then there are some albums or artists that I will not let people know I listen to, like I would never put on a Bright Eyes, Elliot Smith, Mark Kozelek (and his bands) CD's on around other people because those are some heavy shit that is best listened to alone.

I suppose it's risky to say that I like early Creed here haha, also I have a soft spot for DragonForce
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Billy Joel

Although I admit it, but receive scorn from my peers.

"You listen to the weirdest music."

Billy ****ing Joel is weird? I don't even know anymore.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
not recently, but when I was into metal I used to be pretty ashamed of it. Its a thing I don't tell many people about. They'd never suspect it anyways, given the kind of artists I listen to today
Quote by eGraham
Billy Joel

I get peers look at me funny when I say I listen to Bob ****ing Dylan -_-
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I listen to death metal 90% of the time, but I happily sing Phil Collins, Cascada and other shit in the shower. All my mates know this and think I'm weird. I listened to the Tarzan soundtrack in 5 different languages consecutively the other day.
I listen to NPR quite frequently so there's a lot of random music going on in my car.

I think from the reactions I've gotten from people flamenco is the oddest
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Phil Collins is lame

Peter Gabriel era Genesis is where it's at. Although I do love Trick of the Tale and Duke
Just went through my library and there wasn't really anything there other than a few one hit wonders I indulge in every now and then

Like brimful of asha/steal my sunshine kind of stuff
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I'll have the occasional girly anime song on my iPod. Chvrches have some ridiculously catchy songs too. Actually I don't even mind blasting these songs out in public, but I can see how others would be afraid to admit that they like it.
Oh look it's that thread again...
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
no, i dont

there are artists that i never bring up/put on in front of certain friends though, as i know they dont like them
I'm not ashamed of anything I listen to. I will proudly drive down the road blasting mongolian throat singing.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by IronTallicaDeth
I'll be honest here, sometimes i listen to Michael Jackson and Prince, but i don't tell anyone in real life.

But those artists are nothing to be ashamed of, even if you were the type to be ashamed of liking pop artists.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by eGraham
Billy Joel

The first concert I went to was Billy Joel. Absolutely loved it. He was my favourite artist from like 12-14 pretty much.

There's a lot of bands that I don't tell people I listen to, because they've not heard of them. Other than those, it's pretty much the same as what I said in the "Guilty Pleasure Music" thread.

Which, by the way, is literally the same as this thread.
Quote by Shotgunmerc
I listen to prog metal half the time, not like anyone knows who those bands are anyway

I think I'm more ashamed to admit that I DON'T listen to certain bands/artists

HIPSTER ALERT!!!

I can't honestly think of any bands I am ashamed I listen to and if I did Micheal Jackson certainly wouldn't be one of them.

I guess I just don't care what people think about my tastes.
Yeah there were a few really cheesy songs from Nightwish that I listened to a lot when some of my friends were metalheads.
And similar stuff from back then like 3 inches of blood
managed to avoid Manowar though

Also I listen to some jazz stuff, and much of it is cool but some of it is Michael Buble
who is cool
I take back anything I just implied
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Kings of Leon. Even the post-Only By the Night stuff
My Gear:
Fender '72 Tele Thinline Deluxe Reissue
Vox Night Train 15W
I ****ing love Lily Allen.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Not embarrassed by a single genre I listen to. But some people find my music hard to swallow as it's nearly all metal, peppered with some grunge, orchestral, techno and acoustic pieces. It's not as accessible. Oh well, I enjoy it.

mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by Cold Reader
La Dispute.

That's just unfortunate.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
I listen to the soundtrack of Sonic R sometimes. The soundtrack is what I believe to be power pop, which runs against everything I am musically, so nobody knows I listen to it. I used to play the game with my sister when I was young, and listening to the soundtrack just fills me with nostalgia.

I listen to Asian Kung-Fu Generation a bit as a remnant of my J-Rock phase in early high school.
mindless self indulgence and most third wave ska. it's not that i'm ashamed. it's just everyone outchea in these streets is a hater, and i'd rather not have that argument where i have to defend my tastes.
#DTWD
Quote by mikeYekim
Taylor Swift. Yupp.

I've stopped hiding that one, myself; she's so loathed by so many people it's more fun just to irritate everyone by being cool with it.

Quote by triface
I listen to the soundtrack of Sonic R sometimes. The soundtrack is what I believe to be power pop, which runs against everything I am musically, so nobody knows I listen to it. I used to play the game with my sister when I was young, and listening to the soundtrack just fills me with nostalgia.

Wasn't that the game with the curse?
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Nov 17, 2013,
Quote by Shotgunmerc
I think I'm more ashamed to admit that I DON'T listen to certain bands/artists

this!
Page 1 of 2