Hi, I'll just start by saying metal was the reason I picked up guitar, flatout. That and flamenco and ridiculously beautiful acoustic chords, but anyways... metal. Not just any metal, mostly modern metal.

I also create a lot of music, mostly when I'm not actually trying to, I just riff around and find something I like and write from there, I also am trying to start a band. NOW, I see all the time people are like "learn more than one style, play different kinds of music" all that, then I see "play what you want to play, if you like ot play one genre, and not another, why torture yourself?"

Right now I've ventured into progressive metal/prog tech metal and "djent" and I'm amazed, I can't play it up to speed, but it's exactly the kind of music I'd imagine would be playing in my Gundam's radio or something... I can't get enough of it, I listen to it every day, but I've taken a break from it to play jazz (which I enjoy) and some RHCP, blues etc...

But I'm urking to put my .11s on and drop tune to C. If I keep playing/learning prog stuff, will that really make me a stale player/artist?

TL;DR: Been playing 1 year and 10 months, starting a band, love playing and listening to all kinds of metal, but I don't want to sound one dimensional... do i have to just force myself to play music that isn't necessarily as fun, orrrrr?
I think the important thing is to blend those two things which you mentioned. You should play things you enjoy, but you should also keep an open mind.

I recently stumbled upon Opera, rockabilly and electronic music that i actually liked, only 4 years ago i would have dismissed that without even giving it a chance cause i was in this very narrow mindset of "this is music, this isn't". And i can say without a doubt that i am much happier accepting all forms of music then just a few. That doesn't mean i don't prefer some music over other music. I'll listen to jazz way more then i listen to punk, but it is just the attitude of learning what you like and trying to seek out artists within each style that you can actually appreciate.

Play what you enjoy, but keep your ears open for different kinds of music. As for drop tuning stuff like you mentioned, i would advice you to get some software that allows you to change the pitch of songs. I've had similar problems, and i find it better to tune the song up to you than tuning your guitar down to the song.

Edit: Excuse my english, just woke up.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Nov 17, 2013,
Progressive metal generally isn't considered the easiest of music to play. Most of the stuff is pretty advanced and not exactly beginner friendly, so I wouldn't get too discouraged if you find it to be really hard. Keep in mind that speed will come naturally over time. I'm a firm believer of not forcing yourself to try to play at blistering speeds. It took me a good 3 years or so before i finally came to terms with the fact that speed will come gradually. You can't just force yourself to play fast because it wont work, and if you think it does then you're only kidding yourself. It might sound discouraging to say that you wont be able to play most progressive metal, but that's most likely the reality. Try to appreciate it for what it is now, and realize that in time you'll get there.
I am a strong believer that you don't need to learn something that you doesn't like, and something that you don't see your self playing in a band situation.
....no use in learning music you don´t like....

that said this does not include theory and the basics.....learning different scales and then applying them to your musical style will open a whole new world...more than noodling around not really knowing the "why´s" Don´t box yourself in though in one catagory, listen actively to other music genre´s...especially after learning some music theory.....it´s like staring at that picture at the mall and than finally being able to see the image!!
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Don't play music you don't like, but do find more music in more styles that you do like, then learn to play that.
you have to decide whether it's worth it for you to learn stuff you don't like as much. it'll certainly help if you're trying to become a studio musician, or want to be able to play stuff outside your genre, or want to be more "experimental" and do more creative exploration even inside your chosen genre...

you've really just started playing guitar though. eventually you will naturally just feel like playing some other stuff.

also, as you get better at guitar, the time/effort cost of learning something new goes down so you'd be more willing to try it.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Nov 17, 2013,
Okay cool I just had to make sure it wasn't bad that l really felt like playing some more metal/prog.

@Sickz which program does this? Thanks for the advice.

@vayne okay, I normally don't force speed. I read that if I can play a part cleanly and accurately at a certain speed, then that is just the max speed my technique will allow me to reach at that point, and that it will gradually increase. Cool man, appreciate the insight.

@visiblenoise I do wish to one day become a studio guitarist as well... It sounds cool and pays. I will learn other genres too then. And yeah I've noticed that eventually I just want to play something completely different after playing something for a while. Plenty of time to see where that takes me.

I've attempted teaching myself theory, I do understand how to make chords, the qualities that make a major or a minor, what intervals are and how they effect what you're playing, but I haven't memorized the sound of each interval.
Follow your heart man.

I can only speak from experience

But I also started guitar a long time ago just to learn metal. But then I got bored and wanted to learn how to get new sounds of the metal stuff I already liked.

So I studied jazz, funk, blues, and other styles to incorporate it back into metal.

Alot of modern progressive stuff is a fusion of other styles with elements of metal (break downs, fast riffs, offtime grooves etc.)

Everything you learn can be applied in many different contexts so don't box yourself in.
Start thinking in years. Maybe play prog for a year or two, then a few years of metal and by then you'll be tired of dist so try a few years of bossa nova or jazz, etc. Maybe some funk after 10-15 years. Whatever grabs you then..
these timescales should let you feel ok about what you play today and tomorrow. Practice and play whatever you want, but play it well and you'll get there
Last edited by innovine at Nov 18, 2013,
I think you should just play what you like, no sense in learning/playing music you don't like.
You know there's a lot of cool stuff in various genres. Sometimes I even hear a pop song and think "whoa, this might sound cool with distortion+PMs" (and then it usually does).
There's a lot of interesting stuff in other genres, even you don't really listen to them. Sometimes metal music has very traditionally written metal riffs (a bit chromatic, low pitched power chords), and if you only play/study that, it might limit you a bit as a musician. There's actually a lot in common with regards to rhythm and progression between very different genres (for example some of that techno/electronic has a lot of metal-ish stuff in it) and there's interesting aspects to learn from almost all kinds of music.
Just whatever you like. Re-arranging music to fit your style is very fun as well.