Whenever I switch my effects loop on, the volume drops significantly. Is there any way to fix this? It does not matter which pedal or pedals I have in the effects loop.
That is odd.

I would hit up NinjaRaf at Guitar Amp Board if you are having a real issue with the 6505 +.

That dude is an expert when it comes to these amps.

Anyone else here have any suggestions. If not go there and hit that dude up.

He should help you.
Quote by guitarmageddon0
Whenever I switch my effects loop on, the volume drops significantly. Is there any way to fix this? It does not matter which pedal or pedals I have in the effects loop.

What happens if you have nothing in the loop or simply a patch cable? Probably what I would do to start is hit the FX loop insert jacks with some contact cleaner (like Dioxit) and then find out if it has a tube driven loop - I don't think it does.
check the output/volume of your pedals.

if that doesnt work, check the length of your cables. If the cable is too long you might start to notice some treble loss and an overall weaker tone. in this case it would be good to have a non true bypass pedal at the end of your signal chain. or find a signal buffer on ebay(dont really know of any popular vendors who sell these commercially. one sjhould be easy enough to build too if you know how to use a soldering iron too.

couldnt find a 6505 schematic, but by looking at other peavey fx loops, it looks like they dont put any components int he fx loops other that the jacks. so theres no reason the fx loop should be the problem. the problem should lie in the cable or in the pedals.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
a test to see if cable length is the problem would be to connect one very short cable(less than a foot) to from the fx send to the return. if the problem still occurs, the problem is in the amp and I dont know how to help. if the problem disappears then its the cable and youd need a buffer in the end of your signal chain.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
The FX loops on the heads are definitely tube driven.

Looked it up, and yes, your V4 affects your FX loop on the 112.

http://forums.peavey.com:81/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2464

As a note, disregard the names of the tube positions there. They are descriptive, but very confusing for the layman. For the list, just think of it being numbered V1-V5 from top to bottom, instead of the number/letter combo they have.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 17, 2013,
being tube driven doesnt really affect the situation unless the fx loop switch bypasses the entire tube, which I doubt it does. When the fx loop is inactive, that tube is still processing the signal. since it sounds fine with fx loop inactive, then the tube should be fine.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
On the Peavey FAQ, it says that the V4 affects the FX Return stage. Implying that the FX loop is hybrid, meaning the Send stage is SS, no?

So the SS components could be working just fine to pass the signal along to V5, while if V4 is bad, then turning on the loop would result in a huge volume loss to me.

I'm not a tech by any means, but that seems to make sense to me.

Tube FX loops are really dumb in the first place. Just not a good idea at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
probably, but what I believe it to be is just that V4 is the triode that sees the fx loop signal, the triode before it is just turns your guitar signal to pedal levels. heres a schematic os the 5150(which according to that faq has the same tube arrangement as 6505.

here, one triode turns the signal to pedal levels and sends it to the fx send. then the fx return sends the fx signal to the next triode. if the 6505+ and 5150II is anything like this, which is the case with most tube fx loops, the tube really has no fault with this fx loop switching problem.

tube fx loops are a bit tedious, but necessary in most cases. they serve as a buffer to compensate for the tone loss in the usually very long cables.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

My Gear:

Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
The 5150/6505 is a totally different amp than the 6505+ combo, the 6505+/5150 II head is different than the combo.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate