Hi there.
I want to add some chromatics to my playing. Can someone provide me with a list containing all chord substitutions? I read that you can imply a chord substitution and add some passing notes to your playing by using the notes that is added in the "imaginary" substitution. Can someone also explain a good way to use this technique? when to play the passing notes and a good way to get started?

Looking something like this

Major: Major7, major7#5 etc etc
minor: min7, min7#11 etc etc
dom: dom7 etc

(i don't know if these chords are functional btw)

Thanks.
I will give you some good advice on this. Seek out music that utilize chromaticism and chord substitutions and learn from it.

That is really the best way to learn it, if your learning it just cause you read somewhere on the internet that implying another chord over another is cool without actually knowing the sound you are not going to get far, you actually have to like and know the sound of it.

As said, a list of possible chord substitutions aint going to help you. Cause you will be like "apparently i can play a Eb7 over A7", but you will not know how to do it, how to resolve it and how it sounds. You won't know how to use it either.

The best way to learn about chromaticism and substitutions is by studying actual musical pieces that use it, and analyze how they do so. If you want to use it i recommend you check out the masters of jazz and fusion music.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by Sickz
I will give you some good advice on this. Seek out music that utilize chromaticism and chord substitutions and learn from it.

That is really the best way to learn it, if your learning it just cause you read somewhere on the internet that implying another chord over another is cool without actually knowing the sound you are not going to get far, you actually have to like and know the sound of it.

As said, a list of possible chord substitutions aint going to help you. Cause you will be like "apparently i can play a Eb7 over A7", but you will not know how to do it, how to resolve it and how it sounds. You won't know how to use it either.

The best way to learn about chromaticism and substitutions is by studying actual musical pieces that use it, and analyze how they do so. If you want to use it i recommend you check out the masters of jazz and fusion music.

Thank you for the advice and that is exactly what i am doing. I used to play rock, but started playing and listening to jazz not long ago and i know they use a lot of chromatics. I am also trying to analyze why they are able to use the notes they do, when they don't fit the scale.

I don't expect a list to make me a better player, but it will make it easier for me to understand how i can alter a chord. if i see a song with a Cmaj7, I will for example know i can switch it out with a Cmaj7#5 and then i will experiment and see what sounds good in a given chord progression.
study how jazz players use the blues .. there are many harmonic substitutions used in this 12 bar structure..in many tunes..the last four bars use "turnarounds" ... here you can experiment with lots of substitutions to get "back home"...

check how charlie parker & john coltrane used substitutions against the blues structure..

lots of guitar players to check out also...larry carlton..george benson..jeff loeb..and many others..

play well

wolf
I'm not sure a list is going to be of any use. The things you listed there aren't substitutions in any sense, they're just embellishments of the chord already there.

Substitution refers specifically to using a chord a with a different root, such as using a Db7 where you'd normally use a G7. In that example, the substitution works because the two functional tones in G7 - B and F - also appear in the Db7 (as Cb and F). The root changes, but the voices resolve similarly.

If you're just curious about extended harmonies, then that's largely a matter of taste and appropriateness. Is sticking a #5 on your Maj7 actually going to sound good? What does it do functionally? How do the altered chord tones work with or against the listener's expectations?

Chord subbing is all about voice leading, and it really won't make any sense until you have a firm grasp on how the movement of notes between chords affects the sound.
Last edited by cdgraves at Nov 19, 2013,
Completely coincidentally, Sean offers said personalised guitar instruction.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Completely coincidentally, Sean offers said personalised guitar instruction.

Yes I do - but the fact is that chord substitution is a huge subject and hes wanting people to list every possible one, and that's a ludicrous amount of time. But then maybe 20t is willing to take this one on. He's very generous about teaching people.
yeah his cut and paste key is gonna wear out sometime soon
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah his cut and paste key is gonna wear out sometime soon

It did, which is why I didn't post in this thread yet.

When you find yourself answering the same question for different people cut and paste helps. I tried linking to previous posts but people are too lazy to click links so it's easier if I just paste.

I did actually start writing a reply to this question the day he posted but it is such a broad topic that I ran out of time and saved it to a txt file. I opened it yesterday to finish it and rewrote the whole thing, but still didn't finish it.

I don't know if I'll ever get there at this rate...wish my cut and paste button still worked.

EDIT: way too many emoticons in this message.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
It did, which is why I didn't post in this thread yet.

When you find yourself answering the same question for different people cut and paste helps. I tried linking to previous posts but people are too lazy to click links so it's easier if I just paste.

I did actually start writing a reply to this question the day he posted but it is such a broad topic that I ran out of time and saved it to a txt file. I opened it yesterday to finish it and rewrote the whole thing, but still didn't finish it.

I don't know if I'll ever get there at this rate...wish my cut and paste button still worked.

EDIT: way too many emoticons in this message.

Yeah I probably post all the same stuff in the gear forums but i'm nowhere near organised enough to copy and paste stuff. though admittedly the answers in there are normally a lot less involved than in here.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?