So you want to change the tempo from 120 to 60 or something like that?

half note = quarter note
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Half time or cut time?

I don't think "half time" has any technical meaning outside of Football. If you mean to indicate a tempo change, then you just write a new tempo indication.

If you mean Cut Time, which is the same as 2 2, then you use the half note as the pulse. Count "1 2" for two half notes, and "1 and 2 and" for four quarter notes. Basically just moving all the note values up one denomination, so as to make reading easier at tempo.
Quote by cdgraves
Half time or cut time?

I don't think "half time" has any technical meaning outside of Football. If you mean to indicate a tempo change, then you just write a new tempo indication.

If you mean Cut Time, which is the same as 2 2, then you use the half note as the pulse. Count "1 2" for two half notes, and "1 and 2 and" for four quarter notes. Basically just moving all the note values up one denomination, so as to make reading easier at tempo.

i remember in marching band it was common to use "double time" for cut time and "half time" for halving the tempo, considering how important timing was for synchronizing step length &c.

i'd just half the tempo and leave it at that, or double the value of everything on the notation (quarter notes to half notes, etc.) just however seems less clunky/confusing for yourself and the performer