Hello, after 3 years of playing with beginner skills and gear, I think I have finally improved my guitar playing. Nevertheless I think it’s time to improve my gear as well. I have a budget of 400$- 500$. My goal is to get an 80’s tone; preferably a Slash like tone or an Ace Fehley one (Die-hard fan over here).

I don’t know where to start; I would like to get an orange or a marshall amp. In the other hand I have considered some other option such as line 6 or spyder amps.
As I said before, my goal is to get either a slash like or ace Frehley like tone, but I would also like to get a greater wattage, (30w and up) since I play for school events and do some clubbing.

Additional information: I own a BC rich Mockingbird st and a Gibson Les Paul especial 2. I also have a Zoom G1xN Guitar effects pedal, but I would like to get a more natural and less artiffitial tone.

thank you for your responses and for taking the time.
I want to come in and say a Peavey XXX combo.

Does that 80's hair metal tone very well and it can get you some more fluid and creamier rock tones if you want as well.

Three channels, fx loop, tube driven amp made in the good old USA.

A peavey XXX combo can be had used for around 400-500$.
Slash?
Try a used DSL401.

Also, why not a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Would you consider selling one of the guitars? Also, are you using much in the way of effects that would allow you to sell your Zoom? These are just ideas to boost your budget a bit.

I'd say a DSL401 (40W, used) as an amp, though that takes up about all $400-$500. It's also one of the few marshall tube amps that are consistently in that budget.

That's just regular a tube amp though. With that budget most guys will advise something like a Vypr 60. I've never tried it myself, so I can't say how artificial/natural it sounds.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I agree a Marshall DSL401 might be the way to go.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
400$ for a dsl combo is totally a possibility.

If you could find a marshall DSL combo for 400-500$ then that is your route.

I just suggested the XXX cause I am pretty sure it can pull those tones off as well.

But yeah if its that slash tone you are after buy that DSL combo if you could find one for 400-500$. Les Paul+ Marshall tube amp= Slash
The "Gibson" is really and Epi LP special2 I would bet money on it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks to everyone.
What about if I am looking for the Ace tone? Robbgnarly, you are right I have an Epiphone, My bad.
Quote by mahl96
Thanks to everyone.
What about if I am looking for the Ace tone? Robbgnarly, you are right I have an Epiphone, My bad.

Where do you live in the world, we might be able to find you a good used amp and guitar for your budget.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Where do you live in the world, we might be able to find you a good used amp and guitar for your budget.

I am going to the USA this month to catch some Black Friday Deals. I was hoping to get an idea of what to buy that way I would order it to the closest guitar center.

By now I am really considering the modeling amp (peavey) but I feel relucant about it.

However, the DSL401 sounds great! and if it can pull The Spaceman's tone, I think I'll go for the DSL401.
What about a Marshall Haze 40w combo amp? will it pull Ace's tone?
No, the Haze is horrible. Get the DSL.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by mahl96
What about a Marshall Haze 40w combo amp? will it pull Ace's tone?

It could probably do the job, but try one first, they are a love em or hate em amp. I herd a rockabilly band the other night and the guitarist used one and sounded pretty good, but he was running pretty clean with a hint of breakup

Laney Cub12 is very Marshall JCM-ish

Used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401/201 (201 is a 20 watt version) would work also.

used Peavey VTM 60 combo would be excellent and it would leave you enough to buy a Epi LP standard used also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
From what I've heard you will need a Les Paul (Gibson or Epiphone works) connected to a good Marshall and the optional Big Muff. You may want to wear makeup and have to learn some power chords, solos, and Rock 'N Roll technique. That's pretty much Ace Frehley's tone in a nutshell. This is just what I've heard on a couple forums but it should work. I thought after my long grueling thread, I'd help some others with tone problems.
Quote by Robbgnarly
It could probably do the job, but try one first, they are a love em or hate em amp. I herd a rockabilly band the other night and the guitarist used one and sounded pretty good, but he was running pretty clean with a hint of breakup

Laney Cub12 is very Marshall JCM-ish

Used Marshall JCM2000 DSL401/201 (201 is a 20 watt version) would work also.

used Peavey VTM 60 combo would be excellent and it would leave you enough to buy a Epi LP standard used also.

Listen to this dude.

He knows what he is saying. I dont agree with the peavey vyper VTM60 but everything else is spot on.

OP if you are coming to the US for black friday you are not looking to find a DSL combo new brother.

If you come for black friday dont take black friday as an idea to buy a new amp man, dont be silly

Black Friday is for hill billy hicks at wallmart and ghetto fat americans who like to shop at malls.

If you happen to come to the US buy in the used market.

Were are you coming to when you visit the States?
The Peavey VTM60 is an old combo from the 1980's and is based on a HR JCM800 circuit not the vypyr tube 60 (which is a good amp anyways)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Peavey VTM60 is an old combo from the 1980's and is based on a HR JCM800 circuit not the vypyr tube 60 (which is a good amp anyways)

Yeah sorry mate.

Thanks for correcting me.

Definately listen to this guys advice. The VTM60 yeah I forgot about that one I just confuse it for the Vyper tube thing.

The Vyper tube stuff is alright just not my cup of tea is all.
The VTM recommendation is a very solid one, they're one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world. They're basically a JCM800 that has a few switchable mods on board, such as the oldschool Zener mod for more compression. I've never seen a combo version though, just heads. They built a VTM without the switchable mods, which is called a Peavey Butcher (not to be confused with the current production Butcher). Those came in combo form.

Eddie Van Halen touredwith VTM's if that says anything. And the 5150 is loosely based on the VTM according to Internet lore and legend.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
The VTM recommendation is a very solid one, they're one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world. They're basically a JCM800 that has a few switchable mods on board, such as the oldschool Zener mod for more compression. I've never seen a combo version though, just heads. They built a VTM without the switchable mods, which is called a Peavey Butcher (not to be confused with the current production Butcher). Those came in combo form.

Eddie Van Halen touredwith VTM's if that says anything. And the 5150 is loosely based on the VTM according to Internet lore and legend.

5150 is based on the Soldano SLO actually they are really, really similar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It's supposed to be a cross of a VTM and SLO actually. I left off the SLO mention to keep my post simple

EDIT: I know the 5150 and VTM chassis' are almost identical in size, and their trannies have the same part numbers.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
It's supposed to be a cross of a VTM and SLO actually. I left off the SLO mention to keep my post simple

Never herd that at all, the 5150 is a SLO rip off that's why Soldano sued peavey originally. Ask matt, he even confirmed the Slo and 5150 circuits are virtually identical.

Now I could be wrong, but this is my understanding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Never herd that at all, the 5150 is a SLO rip off that's why Soldano sued peavey originally. Ask matt, he even confirmed the Slo and 5150 circuits are virtually identical.

Now I could be wrong, but this is my understanding

Wow for reals?!?!?!?!

I have never heard this before.

What is the source of this knowledge, this is the first time I have heard of this.

Where can I read about this to confirm?

Just interested is all being that the 5150/6505 line of amps are my favriote line of amps ever. Aside from like a classic Plexi tone but that is about it.
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
Did the see the edit I did on my last post, Robb?

"EDIT: I know the 5150 and VTM chassis' are almost identical in size, and their trannies have the same part numbers."
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by mahl96
Thanks to everyone.

Anything that can do Slash tone can do Ace tone. Ace tone is ridiculously simple, and Slash tone is just basically that but with more gain. Both are very simple, straight up cranked Marshall tone. Very easy to get, just not very easy to afford most of the time. A DSL401 will get you everywhere you want to go, you just need to spend some time dialing it in and keep in mind that you won't nail it 100%.

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Wow for reals?!?!?!?!

What is the source of this knowledge, this is the first time I have heard of this.

Just interested is all being that the 5150/6505 line of amps are my favriote line of amps ever. Aside from like a classic Plexi tone but that is about it.

They are very similar design wise, but in actual application they are quite different. The 5150 has a lot more raw gain on tap. The SLO is much more refined and... Soldano-ish, for lack of a beter word.

Also the SLO is a much better designed amp. The 5150 is a pile of shit, to be perfectly honest, and probably as a related result of that extra raw gain it has. I would use one in a heartbeat in the studio for tones, but not live ever again, I don't think. I've owned a 5150 212 and a 6505 head before and they are just not good without being modded. Tons and tons of noise and bleed issues. Kind of embarrassing actually, given how widespread and popular they are. The JSX on the other hand, that is an excellent amp. Owned one of those too in the past.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 18, 2013,
I would like to thank you all guys! great support and advice.

After all I think ill go either for the Marshall jcm200 401, or the Marshall dsl 40c(not sure about the peavey VTM60) .

I feel a bit reluctant about purchasing used gear at guitar center since they just provide one picture.. :P I guess ill have to take the risk , I jut don't know which to choose.
How come you're not sure about the Peavey VTM? I can answer most questions about them, there are a couple other regulars here on UG that have one as well. They're a very reliable amp, more so than the DSL401
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Wow for reals?!?!?!?!

The original Mesa Dual recto was a rip off of the SLO circuit also, but it was changed a little more than the 5150.

Google it. EVH played SLO's and when Peavey endorsed him he wanted to keep a very similar tone to the SLO so the 5150 was designed.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Flux'D
Did the see the edit I did on my last post, Robb?

"EDIT: I know the 5150 and VTM chassis' are almost identical in size, and their trannies have the same part numbers."

Yeah, and I'm not 100% that there is no VTM DNA in the 5150, but the VTM s a modified JCM800 type circuit. The 5150 doesn't seem to have any JCM qualities to me

Lots of amps use the same tranys and chassis size

Where is Matt when you need him
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by mahl96
I would like to thank you all guys! great support and advice.

After all I think ill go either for the Marshall jcm200 401, or the Marshall dsl 40c(not sure about the peavey VTM60) .

I feel a bit reluctant about purchasing used gear at guitar center since they just provide one picture.. :P I guess ill have to take the risk , I jut don't know which to choose.

GC gives a 30 day return policy on all used gear, if you don't like it take/send it back
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate