Does anyone know any artists using a Marshall 1974 18w amp (or clone)?

I just want to hear some examples of what is possible.
I build them and tbh I can't think of a single artist that actually used them. I am sure there are skreeds of recordings out there that use them but none come to mind.
They are basically like a quieter JTM45. There's precious little that a JTM45 can do that a 1974X can't. Very similar in tone and feel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ my 18 watter took a boost or OD in the front better than my JTM45. but my JTM45 had the capabilities for a much more lush clean tone. have you noticed anything similar?

both sounded pretty similar when cranked. i would def agree with your assessment.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Not really, the 18W'ers have a good clean sound too (especially if using the low input or rolling off the guitar volume), they just can't do it at as high a volume as the JTM45. OD wise, much of a muchness really.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I build them and tbh I can't think of a single artist that actually used them. I am sure there are skreeds of recordings out there that use them but none come to mind.
They are basically like a quieter JTM45. There's precious little that a JTM45 can do that a 1974X can't. Very similar in tone and feel.

Hey Cathbard, yes I had a look at yours I think you said you might try building a Combo? How did that go?
I'm part way through doing it but ran out of money when I bought the RM100. It's sitting in the middle of my lounge room in bits.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I'm part way through doing it but ran out of money when I bought the RM100. It's sitting in the middle of my lounge room in bits.

haha, Many of my projects run out of money.

btw, what is a tbh?
tbh = to be honest
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
From what I remember, the 1974x is also called bluesbreaker because it was designed for Eric Clapton to play with a band called "the bluesbreakers" or something like that, so that may be it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
No, the bluesbreaker is a JTM45 2x12 combo (greenbacks). That's what EC used with John Mayall so later ones got tagged bluesbreakers because of that. I have heard 18W'ers called mini-bluesbreakers though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by NakedInTheRain

I thought tbh was an amp, I don't know....

Quote by wiggedy

I thought tbh was an amp, I don't know....

i wasn't laughing at your lack of knowledge per se. i just thought it was funny how you used 'btw' when you were confused about 'tbh'.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
i wasn't laughing at your lack of knowledge per se. i just thought it was funny how you used 'btw' when you were confused about 'tbh'.

Last edited by wiggedy at Nov 18, 2013,
If I was to ever get into amp building, I think an 18W Marshall clone would be my first "DIY" project. There are more clones of that circuit out there than you can shake a stick at. Great little amps.