when i was younger i always wanted a Gibson Les Paul really really bad, as i got older and discovered the price tags and played the cheaper Epiphone versions my desire waned. they just didn't seem worth the price

i loved Les Pauls, but i wanted a quality version. I almost pulled the trigger on a Les Paul Studio one time but i would have been settling.

Well, there is a well known member of this forum (gregs1020) that is a Japanese guitar fetishist. evidently he grew up playing overseas knock-offs and i noticed he seems to pick up some pretty nice looking specimens. after greg went on a Les Paul knock-off buying spree i decided i'd approach him to see if these Japanese Les Pauls were as good as he was claiming.

it just so happened he had one for sale, it's style was very much to my liking so i picked it up:

i was informed by greg that this is a late 90's Bacchus BLS-120 model. one piece african mahogany back, one piece african mahogany neck, two piece maple top, madagascar rosewood, thin oil finish. i believe he also mentioned some actual factory handwork on the detailing of the guitar.

i am a total sucker of natural looking finishes, so as soon as i saw it i was hooked, just had to wait and see if it played as good as it looked. luckily it did, very solid piece of equipment.

the weight might turn some people off (~10 lbs / 4.5 kg) but i actually like a heavy guitar, makes it feel substantial to me. i am told the frets are a little on the big side, but i also tend to like a bigger fret. the neck is very smooth feeling, i can move around very easily. intonation is solid and i am not noticing any dead frets.

this guitar easily compares with some of the better les pauls i have played. i may be interested in a hardware upgrade (bridge and possibly tuners) and may look into some fancy overpriced pickups but i wanna do some comparisons first.

bottomline, this guitar was exactly what i was looking for. i am very satisfied with the purchase (owned it for ~2 weeks) and feel i definitely got my money's worth.

i also picked up some 'junk' a while back, might as well throw it in here too.

~1968 Guyatone openback 1x12 cabinet (dated from the speaker). thought this was appropriate as Guyatone is a pretty well reknown japanese guitar, amp and effects maker. so i'll put all the japanese stuff at the beginning of the thread

i dated the cab from the speaker, but i am sure it is not the stock speaker (so this could be from the early to mid 70's). it had a CTS square back loaded in it with a modified baffle to fit it. the cab itself looks like it's from a GA-930 (too bad he didn't have the amp too)

i actually like these old speakers (so i have it boxed), but i have a couple of old jensons i have picked up and wanted to load one in the cabinet. one of these jensons was actually housed in this

it looks like an old school or church PA cabinet. if you are old enough then you know the ones i am talking about; it would have been mounted to a wall and painted on/over like 5 times. well this one had this speaker loaded in it:

it's an old alnico 5, i think i dated it to the late 50's. it's really not an overly spectacular or sought after jenson but it does break up earlier and at a much lower volume than a modern speaker. so it's great for getting that mojo at a reasonable volume.

the other jenson i may potentially plug into the guyatone is from an old Bell and Howell film projector speaker cabinet. when you had to watch recruitment films or personal hygiene films in HS in the 50's, you'd plug one of these cabs into the projector to hear the audio:

has a real cool look and is in really good shape for how old it is (mid/late 50's). the bonus is that the cabinet opens up in the back via latches and this cool old jenson is in there

i can't really tell exactly what model the jenson is but it looks awesome and i have loaded it in other 1x12's i have had sitting around and the thing sounds very sweet and warm with a beautiful chimey quality. the speaker had to be sent in for a recone though as there was some voice coil rub i just couldn't get rid of

anyway, the stock cabinet just rattles like a MF whenever i apply any substantial volume (even with the back open) so this will be another option to load into the guyatone.

and no, this is not one of those NGD threads were i keep teasing more stuff. what you see is what you get. though i may have another really cool NGD in about a month.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 17, 2013,
Nice haul.

HNGD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Nice score, hombre. It'd be cool to hook all those speakers up to some switcher and punch them them in and out like OD pedals. Or build them into one massive retrofunky cabinet. HNGD
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Much of that guitar is handmade. it's part of their "handmade" series before the "classic" series started.

They make incredible instruments for sure.

glad you love it, hard not to like that one.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
sweet

those bacchuses are meant to be badass, but i've never tried one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thx everyone, appreciate the comments.

Quote by gregs1020
Much of that guitar is handmade. it's part of their "handmade" series before the "classic" series started.

They make incredible instruments for sure.

glad you love it, hard not to like that one.

well i am very impressed. don't think i could really be happier. it delivers.

if this is the one you were willing to part with then it makes me wonder about the others you kept

Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

those bacchuses are meant to be badass, but i've never tried one

i'd never even heard of them before. from what i understand they are pretty damn rare outside of japan so it's not too surprising you haven't tripped across one yet.

imo it's a primo product.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HNGD man

(we have the same tennis shoes)

-ae
I've heard nothing but brilliant things for Bacchus guitars. Sweet Haul!
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by gumbilicious

i'd never even heard of them before. from what i understand they are pretty damn rare outside of japan so it's not too surprising you haven't tripped across one yet.

imo it's a primo product.

Yeah I know on the tokai and japanese guitar forums they're really well-regarded (and that's compared to the other MIJ stuff, which itself is pretty darn good if you ask me), but as you say, hard to come across outside japan. Not completely impossible, but definitely very rare.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, i was kinda lucky to have picked it up. i really would have been off the map if i didn't get it from someone who was in the know

-ae
Here's a project for you gumbi - build a 5F1 champ into one of those old PA type cabs. With a bit of inventiveness I reckon you could squeeze one into one of them. Would be a pretty cool thing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gumbilicious
yeah, i was kinda lucky to have picked it up. i really would have been off the map if i didn't get it from someone who was in the know

yeah greg's great

or has a lot to answer for, depending on your opinion of GAS
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Cathbard
Here's a project for you gumbi - build a 5F1 champ into one of those old PA type cabs. With a bit of inventiveness I reckon you could squeeze one into one of them. Would be a pretty cool thing.

sounds like an almost reasonable project.

i'll be honest, i have a hard time getting my pedal projects to work after i breadboard them. but what you propose does sound fun.

i was thinking about selling my marshall 18 watt clone and a 5F1 would be a great low powered amp to have around for these low powered speakers i seem to collect.

Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah greg's great

or has a lot to answer for, depending on your opinion of GAS

oh, he has quite a bit to answer for.

-ae
cheers, beautiful. HNGD.

look into some older yamaha classicals, nippon gakki to be exact. i think i have five functioning and one i paid for $10 that is irreparable, but still a nice piece of art on the wall. that is my vintage cheap addicetion. i don't think i have ever paid more than $40-$50, but nice guitars.

and where do you get all of the vintage amps from? i have seen that you have quite a few.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
cheers, beautiful. HNGD.

look into some older yamaha classicals, nippon gakki to be exact. i think i have five functioning and one i paid for $10 that is irreparable, but still a nice piece of art on the wall. that is my vintage cheap addicetion. i don't think i have ever paid more than $40-$50, but nice guitars.

and where do you get all of the vintage amps from? i have seen that you have quite a few.

vintage amps? i don't see any vintage amps in those pics? i purposefully tried to keep those outta the pictures.

been collecting. you must have seen some pics on the profile

i am going 'home' next week, gonna pick up something special and then i'll have almost all my gear in one place again. keep posted and i'll do some family shots in another NGD.

-ae
Like he doesn't get to see the procession in WTLT?

We know what you've got man. Trashed keeps an SQL database on us all. You didn't get the memo?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Like he doesn't get to see the procession in WTLT?

We know what you've got man. Trashed keeps an SQL database on us all. You didn't get the memo?

**** missed that one. a weekend of my absence can be a scary thing.

forgot to put my wtlt tag back haha.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by gumbilicious
vintage amps? i don't see any vintage amps in those pics? i purposefully tried to keep those outta the pictures.

been collecting. you must have seen some pics on the profile

i am going 'home' next week, gonna pick up something special and then i'll have almost all my gear in one place again. keep posted and i'll do some family shots in another NGD.

you have a very nice collection. its cool to see things that aren't on here every day. odd question where do you find out what is good/bad how much cash it is worth?
cool
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you have a very nice collection. its cool to see things that aren't on here every day. odd question where do you find out what is good/bad how much cash it is worth?
cool

i've been lucky really. my first 'real' amp was a music man, hence the music man fetish. i also had a friend wherein we had a guitar equipment arms race (some of that stuff in profile pics is his). so i got to play a bunch of cool stuff that way (blackfaces, pre-production PRS's, etc)

i also befriended a shop owner that used to sell stuff in the 60's/70's. he got back in the game around '07 and his old clients tend to unload their old equipment back to him. so he gets some really stupid shit through there. i just happened to cherry pick the stuff i liked/could afford.

i am real lucky cuz i got to try out almost all the equipment before i bought it, so there was no guessing about what it might sound like before i bought it. also lucky in the fact that i got to play equipment i never had any business playing.

oh, the cash thing? probably not that much, it's real cool stuff and there is some real rare shit in there but for the most part it's not sought after so not any real dollar signs attached to it. the most i paid for any of the vintage equipment is a grand ('69 sunn 1200S), most of it was quite less.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by gumbilicious
i've been lucky really. my first 'real' amp was a music man, hence the music man fetish. i also had a friend wherein we had a guitar equipment arms race (some of that stuff in profile pics is his). so i got to play a bunch of cool stuff that way (blackfaces, pre-production PRS's, etc)

i also befriended a shop owner that used to sell stuff in the 60's/70's. he got back in the game around '07 and his old clients tend to unload their old equipment back to him. so he gets some really stupid shit through there. i just happened to cherry pick the stuff i liked/could afford.

i am real lucky cuz i got to try out almost all the equipment before i bought it, so there was no guessing about what it might sound like before i bought it. also lucky in the fact that i got to play equipment i never had any business playing.

oh, the cash thing? probably not that much, it's real cool stuff and there is some real rare shit in there but for the most part it's not sought after so not any real dollar signs attached to it. the most i paid for any of the vintage equipment is a grand ('69 sunn 1200S), most of it was quite less.

That's pretty damn cool. Funny you mention a grand, i have never paid over a grand on any one item. never.

you are kind of a person who got me into music man. I love mine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by gumbilicious

oh, he has quite a bit to answer for.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
That's pretty damn cool. Funny you mention a grand, i have never paid over a grand on any one item. never.

you are kind of a person who got me into music man. I love mine.

i have paid over a grand for equipment for sure. my suhr, the CEC, my orange, my heritage and a few other pieces.

i just haven't paid over a grand for a vintage amp... yet. it was mainly to accentuate that my collection just isn't worth some small fortune. most people probably wouldn't even want half the equipment i own.

Quote by R_Gallagher_Fan
Wowie wow! Nice gear, I have a Guyatone amp from the 70s, those things are beasts and weigh a ton haha.

By any chance is the speaker NACO?

i am at a loss as to what NACO is. i seriously doubt the guyatone cab still contained the stock speaker. the speaker code indicated a CTS (chicago telephone supply) speaker and the baffle was modified to fit it on there. so i have no idea what the stock speaker was.

-ae