When I bought my Firebird I coupled it with an AC15C1 for my bedroom rock adventures and I absolutely loved it, but there was a few things it was missing (or lacking) that eventually got me back on the market looking for something to fill the missing holes. I traveled down the street to demo a few of a buddy's pedals and found out that he wanted to get rid of a few amps, one being the Marshall SL5 that I had shown interest in a few months back and had this passive GAS going on for it ever since. So, long story short he cut me a good deal on it and I brought it home yesterday (thanks Matt).

So, with that being said, I present the Marshall SL5:

(Insert apology for crappy cell phone pic here)

This is a little (but heavy as hell) class A 5/1 combo that Marshall designed in collaboration with Slash. I didn't buy it for the name on the faceplate, I bought it because it sounded awesome and was an inexpensive way to get that ballsy no-frills Marshall tone that we have all come to love at some point.

The clean channel is really warm and pristine. Much brighter than those of the AC15, which is something I somewhat miss but they are a welcome change. It really doesn't start breaking up until you push it hard, which is ideal for me since I'm primarily a bedroom player.

The dirty channel is really where the amp shines. If I could compare it to anything, it would probably be closest to a JCM800. I am a huge fan of amp distortion, and I don't see myself needing a boost any time soon, it sounds good right where it's at. The EQ was kinda a PITA to get just right, but I eventually found a sweet spot that plays nicely with my Bird.

I am a lot happier with this than I was with the AC15, and I am glad I made the decision. I got it for a killer price too, so it just made the deal sweeter. I find that the ballsy Marshall tone is really what I'm most attracted to as far as voicings are concerned.

sweet get. you def gotta hook up some clips with the firebird

HNAD
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Aggressive ballsy tone is usually a plus. Glade you enjoy the amp and as they say, Happy NAD!
HNAD

But why a silver face? Marshalls are supposed to be gold. Very odd choice they made there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Probably a decision by Slash. His AFD sig had a silver plate as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Yeah isn't it a nod to the 2555?

I heard that the tone was somewhere between the JCM800 and the 2555, but I haven't seen one in any stores locally.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The 2555 is the most overrated Marshall ever made, but yeah, that's probably it. Good tinking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The 2555 is the most overrated Marshall ever made, but yeah, that's probably it. Good tinking.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan. My friend has one and it never struck me as being special
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan. My friend has one and it never struck me as being special
You can mod them into something special though. In stock form, not a fan.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cdr_salamander
I personally liked the Jubilee .

Oh I didn't mean it sounded bad, but that for the hype it gets it is kind of a let down IMO And the price tag is a little absurd
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They've got that shitty clipper circuit out of the 2210.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
Oh I didn't mean it sounded bad, but that for the hype it gets it is kind of a let down IMO And the price tag is a little absurd

Yeah, I'd probably never buy one but the one I did play sounded amazing. It could have been modded though, since it was owned by a tinkerer.
Looks really good. I actually prefer the silver control panel to the usual golden one.

HNAD, congrats!
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
HNGD!

I had the chance to play with one of these a while back when doing some recording. Great little amp. I'm thinking about picking one up myself.

I sorta felt like a douche tho; plugging my snakepit LP into a slash sig amp
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
hell yes.

i haven't had the chance to try one, they're always sold out of stock by me. no wonder why.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Linkerman
Looks really good. I actually prefer the silver control panel to the usual golden one.

HNAD, congrats!

Thanks! Yeah, the aesthetics of it was something that definitely stood out. Coming from mostly playing amps with rear-mounted controls, having them them in the front on a slant is really cool.
Quote by gregs1020
hell yes.

i haven't had the chance to try one, they're always sold out of stock by me. no wonder why.

I asked Matt if you still had dibs on it and he said no. What happened?
Sweet! I feel like you can't really feel like a member of WTLT until you buy a piece of Matt's gear
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Sweet! I feel like you can't really feel like a member of WTLT until you buy a piece of Matt's gear

This definitely isn't the first, and most likely not even close to the last
I am so ****ing Jellly.

Great amp brother

Will definately pop in and see how it goes.

Do you have any clips?
Quote by cdr_salamander
I asked Matt if you still had dibs on it and he said no. What happened?

the irt studio.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
the irt studio.

you seem familiar.
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
sweet
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by gregs1020
the irt studio.

I must have missed when you got it. They look like fun little rack amps. How has it been working out?
I plugged a Les Paul LPJ in to this and my friend grabbed a bass (we were at a guitar store). Cranked the dirt and rolled back some of the volume on the les paul and had one mean blues tone. Me n my bud must have jammed with it for an hour and a half, the workers just accepted it.
Quote by gregs1020
hell yes.

I think they've been discontinued recently.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Everyone needs a Marshall combo that isn't an MG or haze.

Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Everyone needs a Marshall combo that isn't an MG or haze.

So very true but let me add Valvestates to that list.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
+1

you guys know how often i sell stuff and even i couldn't get rid of that avt quick enough
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?