So a few months ago I found myself in need of a better guitar sound...so I bought a few pedals like most of us do. Now like most of us, I soon found out that having pedals on the floor sucked ass lol. Now, I looked online to buy a pedal board to house my pedals in and I soon found out...Boy are these fucking things expensive So I decided to build my own. Now the board is finished, but I wanted to give you guys a recap of how everything went down and how much it cost.

So I went to Home Depot (a home improvement store for those not in the U.S) and I got a few items.

A slab of wood about 26" X 15" (I thought this was big enough, in hindsight I should have gotten a larger piece) which was about $23.00

A box of nail which was about $4 dollars, I used 1" 1/2 nails because anything larger would have been overkill and probably would have split the wood.

This is it in the rough.

That pedal layout changed later. Now I didn't want to leave it in bare wood because...well that's just tacky so I went to my local auto parts store and bought myself a can of spray on Bed Liner and a spray can of VHT Wrinkle Black. I will be returning the VHT because I didn't use it.

Let me tell you, If any of y'all aint ever used bedliner...its phenomenal, its durable, and it lays on THICK, but its easy to apply and it dries quickly. VHT on the other hand is pain in the ass to dry on wood.

Now I had a layout in mind for it, which was simple but effective.

This is how it came out before paint.

A note here for those who are considering building a board and haven't done one, just plan out what goes where and size it right before you build anything because it will save you a TON of headaches.

Now its time for paint!

What did I tell ya? Lays on thick like barbecue sauce.

Now after it dried, I made a mockup of what the pedals would actually look like on the final design...this later changed...slightly

I got tired of playing my POS Digitech pedals and I bought a Boss CE-5 and a Boss GE-7 for good measure. Best $100 I've ever spent.

Drillin' some holes here for the cables to run through.

Patch Cables test fitted...this would later change ever so slightly

Continued on the next post.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Now when it came time to secure the pedals, the cables and the eventual power strip that would power my board I called upon a good old friend...zip ties. $2.97 cents for a 100 pack of the 8" ones at Walmart. Now I did all the drilling and all of the dirty work outside, the final assembly however was done in my studio room so I could test everything. I borrowed my friend's bass wah for testing purposes because I will eventually get one.

That's a big mess right there.

Final mockup outside before assembly.

I went to Sam Ash earlier today as well to pickup a Visual Sound One Spot daisy chain, some patch cables, and I stopped at Walmart for a power strip. That trip was probably the most expensive out of the whole thing clocking in at $76 with tax.

This is how I laid her out.

Finishing out the cable management

and here it is in all its glory

The final product. Now things will change and things will be deleted from this board because obviously I can't have 2 chorus pedals, 2 noise gates and a distortion and overdrive...its gonna sound like shit! lol. So I will eventually add a nice reverb pedal, a delay and a compressor pedal, but that's enough money for one weekend.

Total Cost (All prices in USD)

Wood: $23
Velcro: $10
Power Supply: $40
Power Strip: $5
Nails: $4
Patch cables: $28 (I know, I know Sam Ash ripped me off)
Total Rough Cost: $115

To be honest, I probably could have bought a Pedal Train board for cheaper....but why? When my board is twice the size has room for other pedals STILL. A comparably built and sized board is 200 bucks and up, so I think I got a hell of deal. Questions? Comments?
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I built mine for <$30 and it is made of solid Oak 1x6, Velcro and screws. Its amazing how cheap they are to make even paying retail for the supplies
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate