Ok so I will list the chord progressions for the verse pre chorus and chorus. I feel like i jump keys in more than one place and would love someone to kind of dissect the theory aspect of what I have written to help me better grasp the subject as it pertains to my music. I appreciate any and all enlightening responses.

Verse
Am Cadd9 Am Cadd9 Fmaj Dm Aadd7 Gm

Pre Chorus
Dm Aadd7 Dm Em7

Chorus
Gmaj Dsus4 A7sus4 B/G
First of all tell what the hell is an Aadd7? Do you mean A7? First thing I'll tell you is, knowing the theory behind your song won't help you write a better song.
Edit: If your Aadd7 (which I'm assuming is an A7) is actually an AMaj7, it will change the context completely and my analysis will be void.

So the first four chords of the Verse could easily be in C Major (vi, I), then from the F Major (C:IV, Dm:III) chord it which is used to bridge the two keys (I forgot the term) changes key into Dm. From there you've got a i-V7-iv progression.

In the pre chorus it's basically in D minor, the only non-diatonic chord there is Em7. I'm treating as a chord that leads into the GMaj chord in the chorus. Or the vi chord of G, quick tonicization. But the Gmaj chord is the IV of D Major at the same time.

The Chorus is in D major. IV-Isus-V7- for the B chord it's best to know where it leads to before telling what it is. Because context matters.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Nov 17, 2013,
Quote by sidereal9
Ok so I will list the chord progressions for the verse pre chorus and chorus. I feel like i jump keys in more than one place and would love someone to kind of dissect the theory aspect of what I have written to help me better grasp the subject as it pertains to my music. I appreciate any and all enlightening responses.

Verse

Pre Chorus
Dm Aadd7 Dm Em7

Chorus
Gmaj Dsus4 A7sus4 B/G

Key of Am - the Gm is bvii To me the F and Dm are very similar and don't "move" much. Your A7 is the V of D and Gmaj7 is the IV

Youre prechorus appears to be based upon D Harmonic minor because of the V7

Your chorus sounds like D - I wonder if your intended chord wasn't G/B?

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Nov 18, 2013,
I agree with Sean.

Yeah, B/G sounds a bit dissonant (because of the G in the bass). If you remove that G, it would sound OK. Also, what is an Aadd7?

And it would be nice to hear the recorded version. Just by looking at chords you can't tell everything (it lacks the rhythm and melody and we don't know which voicings you use).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by sidereal9

Verse

Pre Chorus
Dm Aadd7 Dm Em7

Chorus
Gmaj Dsus4 A7sus4 B/G

Nice Chord progression bro

The verse appears to be in A minor with exception of the Gm chord at the end which is probably borrowed from Cminor.

The prechorus appears to also be in A minor.

The chorus appears to be in D major,

Gmaj7 is the IV chord
Asus4 is the Suspended V chord
and D sus is the Suspended I chord

THe B/G could technically be called a G maj 7+5. Real cool dissonant sound and is a borrowed chord from E harmonic minor.
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I will clarify the few chords mentioned.
Aadd7 was what a chord program called it. It's played in open position with the notes starting from root as a e g c
A7sus4 is b e g c (which seemed strange when I looked it up because there was no root note in it) it's played like the previous a but changing the root note from a to b
B/G I guess should have been labelled g/b since its a cowboy chord g but not playing the root. The root ends up as the b note.
Could you write a tab of the song?

A C E G is Am7, A C# E G is A7. So if it has a C in it, it is Am7. But I'm not sure about your note/chord naming skills. So post a tab of the chords.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
actually i can do it this way

Verse

e-----------------------------------------------1----------------------------------------------------------
B--1-------3------1--------3--------1--------3-------1----------3---------------------------------------------
G--2-------0------2--------0--------2--------2-------0----------3---------------------------------------------
D--2-------2------2--------2--------3--------0-------2----------5----------------------------------------
A--0-------3------0--------3--------3-----------------2----------5---------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre Chorus

e------1---------------1------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B------3------1-------3-----------3----------------------------------------------------------------------------
G------2------0-------2-----------0---------------------------------------------------------------------------
D------0------2-------0-----------2-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A--------------2-------------------2---------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-----------------------------------0------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chorus

e-------3----------0----------0---------3--------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------3----------3----------3---------3----------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------0----------2----------0---------0--------------------------------------------------------------------
D-------0----------0----------2---------0------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------2--------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------3---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you got A minor, C add9 twice, then F, then Dm, then F add9, then G m

Dm, Fadd9 Dm F add9/E

G D add9 Em7 or A7sus4 depending on the bassnote G/B
Quote by joshbeetler
So you got A minor, C add9 twice, then F, then Dm, then F add9, then G m

Dm, Fadd9 Dm F add9/E

G D add9 Em7 or A7sus4 depending on the bassnote G/B

Fadd9?

That's definitely not an Fadd9. The notes in Fadd9 are F A C and G. The notes in that chord are B, E, G and C. I would say it's Cmaj7/B. And the last chord in pre chorus is just Em7.

And if you listen to the song, there's an A in the bass in chorus so it's A7sus4.

And the D chord in chorus is Dsus2.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 19, 2013,
Magg that's what I thought as well except for te c with b in base I was very unsure of its name.
Last edited by sidereal9 at Nov 19, 2013,