Yes, it's another one of these threads.

So I'm going to be buying a new amp soon, something that's pretty versatile and hopefully under $1,000.

I'll need an amp that can do high gain stuff (Opeth, Gojira, Between the Buried and Me) but also classic rock (Beatles, Floyd, Zeppelin), I also play 90's Britpop (Radiohead, Oasis, Blur)...along with some Grunge.

Is there such an amp out there that will do all of that to a decent standard?
Last edited by The_Locker at Nov 18, 2013,
Dude, scoop a Laney VH100R. You won't regret the decision. You can find them around $600. Then spend $300-$400 on a real nice 2x12. I personally love the Mesa Recto 2x12 with the VH100R, though you can find Orange 2x12s for $400 as well. Maybe even go with an Avatar. That is a killer set up for all of that music.
You can get a used EVH 5150 III for around $1000 USD. Are you in the US?

I would seriously consider a Mesa Roadster or Road King II. They go around $1200-1500.

The Mesa Mark V might tickle your fancy. Not sure how much they go for now.

You could build a rack, for example you can get a used Line 6 POD HD Pro and a Peavey Classic 60/60 for $1000.

EDIT: The Laney VH100R would be an excellent choice, completely slipped my mind. You'll probably have to boost the hell out of it for good Gojira & BtBaM tones though.

I don't know if you know this already, but it may help your thought process:

Opeth = Laney VH100R
Gojira = EVH 5150 III (L'Enfant Sauvage)
BtBaM = Mesa Roadster / Dual Rec (now Axe FX)

Beatles & Britpop = Vox AC30 ish
Floyd & Led Zep = 100W Marshall ish
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Nov 18, 2013,
I hate to disagree with you all the time Off world but I would not recomend the 5150 a PODHD with a power amp or porbly any of that stuff. Altough mind you the PODHD and power amp would be a good alternative.

What the OP needs is a Marshall with that vibe that can get him those classic rock tones but also high gain enough to get him into the more modern metal stuff like the 5150 can........

Enter the The Marshall JCM 900 dual reverb head or combo packed with all that Marshall vintage vibe and a shit ton of gain available in the OD channel just in case you want to go into Gojira or Opeth.

Can be had from aroun 500-900 in the used market for a combo or halfstack. Throw a boost pedal at the front end and you are ready for the high-gain to melt your face off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92iA-sPcjVE

Dosent have to be so sludge metal but you get the point
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
Haters gonna hate, but:

At least try the Peavey Valve King.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Haters gonna hate, but:

At least try the Peavey Valve King.

Why are we going to hate on the valveking bro.

The thing is a beast amp for what it offers

But in this topic I hardly would suggest it to the OP for what he is looking for
I still think the VH100R will be perfect. And that thing has a lot more gain than you would think. I got Gojira tones easy enough with it. Sounds great. Also here is a really shitty clip I made real late at night while I was probably a little too drunk to be recording guitar. hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcb94nd0mUY Shit is gnarly.
Quote by VishNuRoXoUt
I still think the VH100R will be perfect. And that thing has a lot more gain than you would think. I got Gojira tones easy enough with it. Sounds great. Also here is a really shitty clip I made real late at night while I was probably a little too drunk to be recording guitar. hahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcb94nd0mUY Shit is gnarly.

Wow its the first time I have heard a clip of this amp.

+1,000,000 for this suggestion.

Good Stuff VishnuRoxout
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
I hate to disagree with you all the time Off world but I would not recomend the 5150 a PODHD with a power amp or porbly any of that stuff. Altough mind you the PODHD and power amp would be a good alternative.

What the OP needs is a Marshall with that vibe that can get him those classic rock tones but also high gain enough to get him into the more modern metal stuff like the 5150 can........

Enter the The Marshall JCM 900 dual reverb head or combo packed with all that Marshall vintage vibe and a shit ton of gain available in the OD channel just in case you want to go into Gojira or Opeth.

Can be had from aroun 500-900 in the used market for a combo or halfstack. Throw a boost pedal at the front end and you are ready for the high-gain to melt your face off.

I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Offworld92
You can get a used EVH 5150 III for around $1000 USD. Are you in the US?

I would seriously consider a Mesa Roadster or Road King II. They go around $1200-1500.

The Mesa Mark V might tickle your fancy. Not sure how much they go for now.

You could build a rack, for example you can get a used Line 6 POD HD Pro and a Peavey Classic 60/60 for $1000.

EDIT: The Laney VH100R would be an excellent choice, completely slipped my mind. You'll probably have to boost the hell out of it for good Gojira & BtBaM tones though.

I don't know if you know this already, but it may help your thought process:

Opeth = Laney VH100R
Gojira = EVH 5150 III (L'Enfant Sauvage)
BtBaM = Mesa Roadster / Dual Rec (now Axe FX)

Beatles & Britpop = Vox AC30 ish
Floyd & Led Zep = 100W Marshall ish

The Mesa Boogie Tremoverb would be more doable at ~$750. Save another 250 or so and get the VH100R so you'll have both!
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
The Tremoverb is a great amp, but I think if I were specifically going for BtBaM I would go out for a Roadster. It's obvious why they used them - they employ a huge range of sounds.

Also not sure how well a Tremoverb can do Britpop compared to a Roadster.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
To be honest I was bit to ancy when I came in and I take back what i said about his innitial suggestions.

IDK i have played one and I didnt think the JCM 900 all that bad if I wanted to get some kind of JCM800ish tones I felt it did a good job in that realm.

I am not saying its a JCM800 spot on that would be ludacris. I just felt it had some of the vibe and it could also go into high-gain.

Yeah overlooked the fact the EVH part of the 5150.

I stand by the JCM900 suggestion tough.

But for the most part either hte EVH5150 as suggested would be nice for the OP or the VH100R from clips I am hearing that amp is a dream
I've probably forgotten more about the JCM900 than you'll ever learn. You're wrong, that's not just an opinion, you're simply wrong.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've probably forgotten more about the JCM900 than you'll ever learn. You're wrong, that's not just an opinion, you're simply wrong.

Ok I am wrong Cathbard.

I am so very wrong about my OPINION.

I am sorry to have angered you.

Why you mad bro ?
You're a dick that is going out of your way to piss people off. I recognise that you are probably just a troll but troll or dick it doesn't matter. Please go away.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Of all the JCM900 models the Dual Reverb is arguably the worst design of the bunch, that amp shouldn't have even come with a Marshall badge from the factory. Or left the factory at all for that matter.

There isn't much information about them out there, but I would definitely suggest looking into a Blackstar Series One. I didn't know a thing about them until I traded a Gibson Explorer for one and couldn't be happier. Tonally they're a cross between a Rectifier and a high gain Marshall, and you can tweak the low response between round/loose (Marshall) or tight and focused (Recto). Definitely a cool amp and more versatile than the Peavey JSX, Mesa Triple Rec, or Jet City JCA100H I've had.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Not just "arguably the worst design of the bunch" they are the worst of the bunch. There are some of the worst design decisions in there of pretty much any amp I've ever seen. The guy that designed channel 2 should be taken out into the street and shot.
They can be modded into something decent (I often get compliments on how good mine sounds compared to normal ones) but from the factory - what a piece of crap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I honestly think the JCM900 gets a bad rap for alot.

People say its a shit amp and it is arguably a commonly held consensus amongst many boards.

Yet you hear it on countless albums and recordings throughout the 90's and early 2000's and even now you still have alot of artist using them.

Just like when a couple years ago people hated the DSL40 combo's for being complete shit for some odd reason and JCM2000 heads were looked down uppon lower than MG combos people for some reason hate on the JCM900.

I really dont understand all the hate .
There are more than one model of the JCM900, you can't lump them all together. The JCM900 SL-X is a legitimate amp that I wouldn't hesitate to own myself... the Dual Reverb is an utter hunk of crap.

I can't imagine anyone loving an MG more than a DSL , I've gotta call you out on that one
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 18, 2013,
Get inside one and start pulling it apart and you'll understand. The circuit design is friggin ridiculous. I can't stress enough how stoopid it actually is. They add an ugly clipper circuit to channel 2 that actually reduces the distortion if anything. All it does is replace tube distortion with SS distortion. It's insane.

The only reason people put down the 2000's was the design flaw in the power supply that caused them to overheat. Once they sorted that out all was good. A $2 part, that was all that was wrong with them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification