OK, first off, I don't play guitar...I know absolutely nothing about guitars. But I recently inherited 3 guitars. They are all in perfect condition, in hard cases:

Gibson Les Paul Gary Moore, looks to be new

Gibson Les Paul Standard, an inspection paper in the case says it was made in 2010

Taylor 614ce, new?

I intend to sell two of the guitars and keep the third. I'd like to keep the guitar that will keep it's value best over a period of , say, 5 to 10 years.

My question: which guitar do I keep?
Jesus, dude. You're sitting on a gold mine.

Probably keep the Taylor.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Nov 18, 2013,
Keep all of them.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1581765

Try this thread, mulwyk. That one's the big Les Paul discussion on this site, they'll be able to help you better than everyone in this forum. In fact, the best opinions you will probably find on selling those LP's is on www.mylespaul.com, all the big LP experts on here are on there, and they have a whole forum dedicated to pricing and sales of those guitars.
Moving to Electric Guitar
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Keep them all and use them for different tunings. One for standard, one for Eb and one for D. You have great guitars there and if you are serious about starting to practice guitar you will kick yourself later in the ass for not having them anymore. We have multiple guitars for a reason and not just because we like looking at guitars. Though they really are pretty...

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by mulwyk
OK, first off, I don't play guitar...I know absolutely nothing about guitars.

The Taylor would have been around $3K new, the Gary Moore sells for around $2100 new, and the LP Standard might have been around $2500 new. All are high quality guitars that will retain their values well (though only after some significant initial depreciation, a bit like driving a new car off the lot), though overall the Taylor is the best pure instrument of the bunch.

If you're retaining a guitar and intend to play, realize that either of the two Gibsons will require that you buy and maintain additional gear (amps, cables, etc.), while the Taylor, as a primarily acoustical guitar, is self contained.

In terms of "investment" potential, the Taylor will be steadily good, while the LPs will be subject to a more variable market that depends on the interest of a baby boomer generation that's currently moving (at a rate of about 12,000 per day!) into retirement age. There are also over 100 models and a glut of LPs on the market. The Taylor is a top of the line guitar (I have an 814ce, with slightly different woods) that's not part of a very subjective market.

Whoever left you the guitars probably did so with some thought that you might play. If that's not your intention, then keeping one for future returns is probably not your best investment play. Sell all three and put the money into a decent sector fund.

If this is mostly just found beer money to you (not a dishonorable use, by the way) then there's no particular reason to keep one. The rock and roll thing to do would be to sacrifice them on the altar of hookers and blow.

If you don't need the money right now, keep all three stuffed away and see what develops.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
Keep them all and use them for different tunings. One for standard, one for Eb and one for D.

Did you miss the part where the OP says, "I don't play guitar...I know absolutely nothing about guitars?"

I'll give the OP $50 for the lot.
Quote by dspellman
Did you miss the part where the OP says, "I don't play guitar...I know absolutely nothing about guitars?"

I'll give the OP $50 for the lot.

Oh, balls.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Keep them all abd learn to thrash. If not, sell them to me
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
If you're keeping one because you want to learn guitar then go with the acoustic. If you're keeping one as an investment, don't. All three of those guitars are valuable and will hold their value well but none will increase in value (at least no more than the inflation rate). Selling them all now and investing in mutual funds or something would make the most financial sense.

Just don't sell them to Guitar Center or something... they'd probably try to offer you $1500 for all three. Either sell on ebay, craigslist, or maybe through a shop that will do consignment.

Just browsing Ebay:
Gary Moore LP - $1400-$1800
Standard LP - $1200-$2000 varies a lot depending on condition
Taylor - $1700-$2200
Last edited by demonhellcat at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Masquirina
I'm sorry for your loss.

this right here is the best so far, and I echo the sentiment.

If this person was close to you, perhaps you should consider keeping them if not for sentimental reasons but to pass down to your kids. I dont know about your situ, but money can always be earned....but treasures are not easily replaced....consider your fortune very wisely

Don't play guitar? You have fine instruments to learn on....you're never too old.
taylor is the jem of the bunch. however its acoustic. for this reason, i say you keep 2, because every TRUE guitarist will eventually own an acoustic and electric. plani and simple, almost a rule if you ask me. i have never known a person that REALLY like to play and didnt end up buying both.

that being said, after looking as the specs of the gary moore, i say keep it. its just too freaking sick, i love the wood and no pickguard, reversed neck pup etc. something different. how many les paul standards do you see? oh about 2 dozen in every guitar center in the country.

sell the les paul standard for as much money you can get, and buy a real guitar, like a music man. PRS, heck i love my carvin buy one of those. or, get something a bit agressive with a good tremolo on it, more hard rock metal suiting. get a used music man JP6. amazing guitars. amazing.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_

sell the les paul standard for as much money you can get, and buy a real guitar, like a music man. PRS,

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You're asking on a guitar forum about selling these fine wares. We are going to say keep them! They're the kinds of guitars that people save for and aspire to own, all wonderful. So I say keep them and learn to play, maybe sell one of the Les Pauls.
i say you keep 2, because every TRUE guitarist will eventually own an acoustic and electric.

That is simply not true. Exhibit #1: Andres Segovia. (There's others.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
In the meantime, I agree with the statement that you shouldn't keep any of the guitars as investments. If you intend to keep one for sentimental reason, keep the one you most strongly associate with your lost loved one. If you intend to keep one to learn on, keep the Taylor.

If you can't find a price you think is acceptable- and you should be able to on eBay or some such- consider donating the guitars to a charity fundraiser or school music program in the name of the of the person you lost. You can then take the full appraised value of them off of your taxes if you itemize.

You could also create a trust- keeping ownership of the guitars- while loaning them out to students as part of some kind of scholarship program, much like is done with high-end classical instruments, like Stradivarius violins.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

i dont know who that is, but like i said, why would anybody not get an acoustic? even yingie malsteen can literally shred on an acoustic. i find that more impressive than anything he has done on an electric.

i didnt even know tehcniques and speed like this were possible (that sounded good) on an acoustic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMNlMghwCsQ
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i dont know who that is,

Segovia? He was one of the great modern masters of classical guitar, and was quite vocal in his dislike for electrics.

And I personally know some very talented electric guitarists who don't own an acoustic.

Sell me them for $250 each.

In all seriousness though, that's quite a lot of money in guitars you're sitting on. The Gary Moore models, if memory serves, went for around $900 - unless it's not one of the sanded-down ones with wooden knobs. If it's not, I think those were around $1,400 when they were available. Les Paul Standards are around $2,500-$3,000. Taylor 614ce's are $3,000. Bear in mind though these are all new prices, and guitars lose value about as fast as cars. Or at least until they're vintage, then they boom.

Personally, I'd keep the Les Paul Standard and the Taylor, but if you only want to keep one, that depends on what kind of music you're into. I'd personally take the Taylor between the two because as an owner of one, they're breathtaking instruments, but it's down to musical preference.

And on a more serious note, condolences for your loss. As much of a goldmine of instruments as that is, it doesn't compare to the loss.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
you don't play so they're worthless to you.

i say sell them.

the 2010 standard is worth $1500 roughly on a quick(er) sale. maybe you could get 2K on the 614ce.

post pics of the gary moore.
Quote by ikey_

i didnt even know tehcniques and speed like this were possible (that sounded good) on an acoustic

everything sounds good on an acoustic.