Hello everyone,

I'm going to get a pedal board and I'm trying to figure out which overdrive / distortion pedals I want to buy. The amp I'm playing at home, is a Randall RG100 and I just love everything about it. It has one clean channel and 2 gain channels, both very high gain ''Pantera'' sounding, but I can get a classic ''AC/DC'' sound aswell by playing with the gain and my guitars volume knob.

So I want to get a pedal for a classic ''AC/DC'' sound, and a pedal for the ''Pantera'' sound, and I don't really care about the price for now. By the way, I'm referring to them as a ''Pantera'' and ''AC/DC'' sound, but that doesn't mean I want to copy their sounds at all, I just want to give you guys an idea of what I mean .
There are two pedals that I'm really interested in right now, but if you guys know any other great pedals I'd love to hear about it.

- Randall RG13
It's a 3 Channel, 1 watt High Gain Solid State Guitar Floor-Pedal/Amplifier with Switchable FX Loop and a shitload of other stuff. I would just use it as a pedal. I think it's the closest I'll ever get to my RG100 amplifier and I've seen great reviews about it. Anyone ever tried one of them? What are your thoughts about it?

So, that would be great for mid/high gain metal and hard rock, however, with my rock band I'm not really playing any metal at all, so I'd love to get a more classic rock sounding, low/mid gain pedal. Anyone has any suggestions? I was looking into the...

- Bogner Ecstasy Blue
The Blue is a low/mid gain pedal. There's also a Red one which is mid/high gain, and a Bogner Ecstasy Uberschall but I think the RG13 does a way better job for metal. So... The Blue really sounds great for some low gain sounds. Did anyone ever try one of them?

Anyone has some suggestions? I'd like to try them out before buying them but it's quite a drive to the nearest guitar store so I'm just trying to gather as much info on the internet. So again, I'm looking for a low/mid gain classic overdrive pedal, and a high-gain modern distortion. Thanks .
Last edited by Dorky at Nov 18, 2013,
Well, RG13 is my RG1503h amp in a pedal/amp-in-a-box form and it sounds great but... I dont get it. The new RG serie is basically hot rodded RG100 and some Warhead mixed in (the new RG is designed by the same guy who designed Randall Warhead), more gain and br00tz than old Dimebags RG100ES but its still same breed. Why would you want to put a pedal in front of an amp that already produces rather similar sound? Your amp is one of the older RG100 right? Not the G2 or G3 and such hybrids? They are different than RG100ES.

Oh well, it is definetly uber high gain amp, channel 3 especially.

About AC/DC tone that is the sound of cranked to hell Marshall so you need a pedal with Marshall sound. But the thing is, in my experience (albeit limited) distortion pedals rarely work well with solid state amps due to their sterile nature. They really need tube richness added on top to sound good. Dirt pedals and my Randall do NOT mix. Even boosting with tubescreamer is a bit so so.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Dorky
Hello everyone,

I'm going to get a pedal board and I'm trying to figure out which overdrive / distortion pedals I want to buy. The amp I'm playing at home, is a Randall RG100 and I just love everything about it. It has one clean channel and 2 gain channels, both very high gain ''Pantera'' sounding, but I can get a classic ''AC/DC'' sound aswell by playing with the gain and my guitars volume knob.

So I want to get a pedal for a classic ''AC/DC'' sound, and a pedal for the ''Pantera'' sound, and I don't really care about the price for now. By the way, I'm referring to them as a ''Pantera'' and ''AC/DC'' sound, but that doesn't mean I want to copy their sounds at all, I just want to give you guys an idea of what I mean .
There are two pedals that I'm really interested in right now, but if you guys know any other great pedals I'd love to hear about it.

- Randall RG13
It's a 3 Channel, 1 watt High Gain Solid State Guitar Floor-Pedal/Amplifier with Switchable FX Loop and a shitload of other stuff. I would just use it as a pedal. I think it's the closest I'll ever get to my RG100 amplifier and I've seen great reviews about it. Anyone ever tried one of them? What are your thoughts about it?

So, that would be great for mid/high gain metal and hard rock, however, with my rock band I'm not really playing any metal at all, so I'd love to get a more classic rock sounding, low/mid gain pedal. Anyone has any suggestions? I was looking into the...

- Bogner Ecstasy Blue
The Blue is a low/mid gain pedal. There's also a Red one which is mid/high gain, and a Bogner Ecstasy Uberschall but I think the RG13 does a way better job for metal. So... The Blue really sounds great for some low gain sounds. Did anyone ever try one of them?

Anyone has some suggestions? I'd like to try them out before buying them but it's quite a drive to the nearest guitar store so I'm just trying to gather as much info on the internet. So again, I'm looking for a low/mid gain classic overdrive pedal, and a high-gain modern distortion. Thanks .

My guess is you may only need one pedal. (Maxon OD808) and switch between your clean, and dirty channel on the amp for the style your looking for.

For you classic overdrive tone similar to AC/DC run the amp on the clean channel, with the pedal.

For your Pantera style overdrive, use the pedal with the overdrive channel.

Should give you the best of both worlds.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

But be sure to give one of these pedals a try. The clean boost style is very popular for a good overdrive/distortion. Both classic and modern.
For your AC/DC tone you should check out the Boss SD 1 super overdrive pedal. It's a bit more of a bluesy rock tone a la Stevie Ray Vaughan, but with the settings ramped up it can be very hard rock. It's not metal at all though, which is what you'd be looking for anyway in an AC/DC tone. I also got mine new for just 40 bucks.
Add another vote for the BOSS SD-1. Great pedal for the money, and gets even better with the C6 cap removed.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
You didn't mention a budget so I'm throwing this out there for your ACDC tones:

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/plextortion.html

I would have thought that the RG would already be getting your Pantera sounds but if you need a bit more punch, push it with a tubescreamer type thing. The Bad Monkey is a good one on the cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MaaZeus
Well, RG13 is my RG1503h amp in a pedal/amp-in-a-box form and it sounds great but... I dont get it. The new RG serie is basically hot rodded RG100 and some Warhead mixed in (the new RG is designed by the same guy who designed Randall Warhead), more gain and br00tz than old Dimebags RG100ES but its still same breed. Why would you want to put a pedal in front of an amp that already produces rather similar sound? Your amp is one of the older RG100 right? Not the G2 or G3 and such hybrids? They are different than RG100ES.

Oh well, it is definetly uber high gain amp, channel 3 especially.

About AC/DC tone that is the sound of cranked to hell Marshall so you need a pedal with Marshall sound. But the thing is, in my experience (albeit limited) distortion pedals rarely work well with solid state amps due to their sterile nature. They really need tube richness added on top to sound good. Dirt pedals and my Randall do NOT mix. Even boosting with tubescreamer is a bit so so.

I'm not gonna run my RG13 through my RG100, the point is that I dont want to take my 100 watt combo everywhere, but a pedalboard WITH the RG13 instead . I should have clarified that >_>
I might have a hybrid, mine is called the RG100SC, with stereo chorus (hence the name) and reverb. I believe it was built in 2003 or something, maybe it doesn't sound like Dimebag like the RG100ES does, but it's pretty close, and I just love everything about it (especially the part about how I picked it up for 200 euro's second handed, I never thought I'd get such an amazing sound for that money).
Dirt pedals and a Randall don't mix at all indeed... I actually own a Boss SD-1, and I'm actually not that satisfied with it, but now that you mention it, it sounds pretty good through the tube amps at my school. Maybe I won't need a new pedal for the ''AC/DC'' tone at all. But how would the RG13 sound through a tube amp? Or is it powerful enough on its own to plug it into a big cab and play with my band?

edit: Btw, thanks alot for the responses already guys!
Quote by Stillhouse
Add another vote for the BOSS SD-1. Great pedal for the money, and gets even better with the C6 cap removed.

Quote by RebelDawg13
For your AC/DC tone you should check out the Boss SD 1 super overdrive pedal. It's a bit more of a bluesy rock tone a la Stevie Ray Vaughan, but with the settings ramped up it can be very hard rock. It's not metal at all though, which is what you'd be looking for anyway in an AC/DC tone. I also got mine new for just 40 bucks.

Im sorry OP but do not listen to these guys when it comes to pedals.

They are pretty much right on about everything except for their taste in pedals.

I would have a digitech bad monkey over the SD-1 anyday .

Or even a BBE green screamer, now why the hell would you deal with something as backwards as the SD1 when even guys who have keeley moded ones hate theirs .

Aside from that if a guy has a Beringher anything pedal on his board it really speaks volumes as to not listen to anything about what he has to say about pedals or to take his opinion to seriosly on the matter. Especially when one of the guys suggesting the SD-1 has two other metal/distortion to boot in his pedal chain /
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
You didn't mention a budget so I'm throwing this out there for your ACDC tones:

http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/plextortion.html

I would have thought that the RG would already be getting your Pantera sounds but if you need a bit more punch, push it with a tubescreamer type thing. The Bad Monkey is a good one on the cheap.

Wow, those Wampler pedals are amazing , are they really that close to a JCM800?
But like I said, I'm looking for pedals that sound like my RG distortion because I can't take my 100 watt combo everywhere, and I'm also looking for a more classic sound that I can't really get out of my Randall, like the Wampler pedal you just suggested. Thanks for your comment, I'm gonna look for some more reviews of the Wampler pedal .
They're pretty good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Im sorry OP but do not listen to these guys when it comes to pedals.

They are pretty much right on about everything except for their taste in pedals.

I would have a digitech bad monkey over the SD-1 anyday .

Or even a BBE green screamer, now why the hell would you deal with something as backwards as the SD1 when even guys who have keeley moded ones hate theirs .

Aside from that if a guy has a Beringher anything pedal on his board it really speaks volumes as to not listen to anything about what he has to say about pedals or to take his opinion to seriosly on the matter. Especially when one of the guys suggesting the SD-1 has two other metal/distortion to boot in his pedal chain /

I've never been that satisfied with my SD-1, like I said... But I'm not sure since I don't run it through a tube amp that often. And yeah, I'm not a big fan of Beringher too, I've had my ''Boss'' phase though, got quite a few pedals from them, and they're fine, but nothing special really, I really like the GE-7 equalizer and the noise surpressor (NS-2) seems to do the job just right. Right now I'm just looking for high quality overdrive and distortion pedals.
Quote by Dorky
Wow, those Wampler pedals are amazing , are they really that close to a JCM800?
But like I said, I'm looking for pedals that sound like my RG distortion because I can't take my 100 watt combo everywhere, and I'm also looking for a more classic sound that I can't really get out of my Randall, like the Wampler pedal you just suggested. Thanks for your comment, I'm gonna look for some more reviews of the Wampler pedal .

Honestly Cathbrad knows what he is talking about and I would listen to what this cat has to say.

I have never tried a Wampler but I imagine they are all they are cracked up to be from what I hear, this is a good option.

There is also AMT electronics. This pedals are known for their excellent sound and their correct emulations of alot amp tones we have come to know and love, the JCM800 being one of them.

http://amtelectronicsusa.com/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161044442934?lpid=82
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Honestly Cathbrad knows what he is talking about and I would listen to what this cat has to say.

I have never tried a Wampler but I imagine they are all they are cracked up to be from what I hear, this is a good option.

There is also AMT electronics. This pedals are known for their excellent sound and their correct emulations of alot amp tones we have come to know and love, the JCM800 being one of them.

http://amtelectronicsusa.com/index.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161044442934?lpid=82

Thanks for your response! Cool, I'll look into it. Are there more brands who emulate amps like the JCM800 as well as AMT and Wampler?
Trying to get AC/DC sound out of a solid state, metal-centric amp is like trying to get a dog to meow. Few, if any, SS amps work well with overdrive or distortion pedals, doubly so when compared to a tube amp. My Class5 can get into AC/DC territory on it's own, albeit at higher volume than is practical in most occasions. My SD-1 is just right to give it that extra boost while having the amp at lower volume.

And If I want high-gain, balls out, metally distortion, yeah, I've got a BOSS Hyper Metal in my chain as well. Because man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Dorky
I'm not gonna run my RG13 through my RG100, the point is that I dont want to take my 100 watt combo everywhere, but a pedalboard WITH the RG13 instead . I should have clarified that >_>
I might have a hybrid, mine is called the RG100SC, with stereo chorus (hence the name) and reverb. I believe it was built in 2003 or something, maybe it doesn't sound like Dimebag like the RG100ES does, but it's pretty close, and I just love everything about it (especially the part about how I picked it up for 200 euro's second handed, I never thought I'd get such an amazing sound for that money).
Dirt pedals and a Randall don't mix at all indeed... I actually own a Boss SD-1, and I'm actually not that satisfied with it, but now that you mention it, it sounds pretty good through the tube amps at my school. Maybe I won't need a new pedal for the ''AC/DC'' tone at all. But how would the RG13 sound through a tube amp? Or is it powerful enough on its own to plug it into a big cab and play with my band?

edit: Btw, thanks alot for the responses already guys!

In that case, I do recommend RG13. Again, I do not have RG13 but it is a RG1503 preamp section in a pedal and a 1w power amp with it and I really like my amp. Valveking and Valvestate are gathering dust most of the time.

The Channel 2 is closer to classic Randall sound with more gain on tap and Channel 3 is very crunchy and ballsy and even more gain available than 2. Both of them reach to stupid amounts though. It is a pain in the ass to EQ really (Always feels like there is too much of something) but it could be my speaker too. My Jet City cab has an old british Celestion G12-T75 inside at the moment. But the EQ is active and behaves differently than passive. But as a hint do not be afraid to use the midscoop button. Yes it scoops the mids but it also change the voicing of midrange (in my opinion to better) and you can counter the scoop by turning the mids up.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by MaaZeus
In that case, I do recommend RG13. Again, I do not have RG13 but it is a RG1503 preamp section in a pedal and a 1w power amp with it and I really like my amp. Valveking and Valvestate are gathering dust most of the time.

The Channel 2 is closer to classic Randall sound with more gain on tap and Channel 3 is very crunchy and ballsy and even more gain available than 2. Both of them reach to stupid amounts though. It is a pain in the ass to EQ really (Always feels like there is too much of something) but it could be my speaker too. My Jet City cab has an old british Celestion G12-T75 inside at the moment. But the EQ is active and behaves differently than passive. But as a hint do not be afraid to use the midscoop button. Yes it scoops the mids but it also change the voicing of midrange (in my opinion to better) and you can counter the scoop by turning the mids up.

A midscoop that doesn't sound like shit? Well that's a welcome change . Thanks for the comment bro, I'll definitely get a RG13 ASAP! I'm so glad they didn't abandon the RG series. I believe they're just the best amps for the money if you play metal, and to be honest, I'd rather play metal through a Randall than any amp brand I know of. You seem pretty happy with your RG1503 aswell .
Quote by Dorky
A midscoop that doesn't sound like shit? Well that's a welcome change . Thanks for the comment bro, I'll definitely get a RG13 ASAP! I'm so glad they didn't abandon the RG series. I believe they're just the best amps for the money if you play metal, and to be honest, I'd rather play metal through a Randall than any amp brand I know of. You seem pretty happy with your RG1503 aswell .

Oh yeah, the amp is awesome but the EQ is not. Distortion characteristics are fantastic but I am not active EQ compatible, to a point I am afraid of touching it and break the delicate balance I have managed to create.

YMMV.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3