I play guitar in the church band. I bought a Gretsch g5120 a year ago which I love but I am the only guitarist in the band not and I need something versitile. I do not have a ton of money so I was looking around the $600 to $700 range. I wanted to stay with fender or eoiphone but I am open to anything. Suggestions please???
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Nov 18, 2013,
I thought of that. I have a MIM strat that sounds really twangy through our aviom system. Also another reservation is that all but guitar buddies play strats so I would like to go with something a little different.
Quote by nebakanezer13
I thought of that. I have a MIM strat that sounds really twangy through our aviom system. Also another reservation is that all but guitar buddies play strats so I would like to go with something a little different.

Maybe a Jaguar, then?
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'd second the above and recommend a Jaguar. Mustangs (my weapon of choice) are also very versatile, as are Jazzmasters.

Also, Gretsch g5120s are lovely but I know exactly what you mean in the lacking versatility. I have a g5122 (same but a double cutaway) and it is very limited.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 18, 2013,
My instincts say a used Carvin would be the best bet for covering everything, but as always, Danny's post offers a lot of alternatives.
Finding a used Carvin would be an utter steal, though! High quality builds, good ergonomics, and usually ridiculously sweet finishes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Hmm reverend i have never considered them. Nice looking guitars, they kinda remind me of a Hagstrom. Also I looked at Carvin and couldnt find one in my price range...
I see mid/high end used Godins in your price range. Try looking for a Freeway or 5th Avenue. Or if you like hardtail HSS guitars,met rack down a Godin Richmond Belmont.

The key to Carvin is knowing where to look. Craiglist is always the best since the local non-internet-saavy guitarists don't seem to know them, so sellers resort to dropping the prices WAY down so they can get it off their hands. The DC135 seems to be the best bang for the buck. There's one in my town now for $600. I bet it'll be $450 after a month.

If you're willing to make a 1 or 2 hour drive to the guys with home studios in the boonies that always seem to have them, then you're in for one hell of a deal. Otherwise, sometimes eBay gems can be had, but they're far more rare.
Quote by nebakanezer13
I play guitar in the church band. I bought a Gretsch g5120 a year ago which I love but I am the only guitarist in the band not and I need something versitile. I do not have a ton of money so I was looking around the $600 to $700 range. I wanted to stay with fender or eoiphone but I am open to anything. Suggestions please???

I think Fender start will work the best it is one of the most versatile guitars
Actually, if you're the handy sort, a Carvin kit might work for you, too. Very affordable, and if you have the skills to put one together, a great deal!

Well I took the plunge and bought a 2013 Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe HHS on Saturday. I do love it and I think I make the right decision.
We want a nice NGD thread with mucho pix, dude!

Quote by nebakanezer13
I have a MIM strat that sounds really twangy through our aviom system. Also another reservation is that all but guitar buddies play strats so I would like to go with something a little different.

Quote by nebakanezer13
Well I took the plunge and bought a 2013 Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe HHS on Saturday. I do love it and I think I make the right decision.

Wait. What?
Well I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up. I think it was meant to be though because that humbucker is a monster!!
Quote by nebakanezer13
Well I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up. I think it was meant to be though because that humbucker is a monster!!

Okay, so I'm curious why you couldn't have simply put that humbucker in your other strat. And what happened to your quest for versatility?
Well I think it is a pretty versatile guitar. The other strat is a MIM and doesn't sound right through the Aviom system, it's really twangy. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the deluxe hss. I played about 10 different guitars and came to the Hss conclusion.
Quote by nebakanezer13
Well I think it is a pretty versatile guitar. The other strat is a MIM and doesn't sound right through the Aviom system, it's really twangy. Anyway I'm pretty happy with the deluxe hss. I played about 10 different guitars and came to the Hss conclusion.

One, I doubt that "MIM" has anything to do with how the guitar sounds; you could (still can) easily replace the existing pickup configuration to get exactly what you have now.

For those who may be reading this who are still on the hunt for a versatile guitar:

I have a couple of superstrat-style guitars. They're HSH configuration with a master volume, master tone, five-way, coil taps and a bridge pickup add-in switch. One, for example, is a neck-through mahogany body and neck with a flame maple cap. 25" scale, 24 frets. When the coil taps (miniswitches) are activated, the coils nearest the bridge (on the bridge humbucker) and nearest the neck (on the neck humbucker) are the ones still active. The humbuckers are slightly hot, so that when they're split, the active coils approximate decent strat pickups. Between the various combinations, there's a LOT of versatility -- but it's the bridge pickup add in switch that takes it a notch up. This gives you the Les Paul "middle switch position" sound if your 5-way is on the "neck pickup only" selection in full humbucking mode, and an interesting "all three pickups at once" choice if you're in the "Neck plus middle" position on your 5-way.

I've also got a wide variety of options for H-H guitars, including Carvin's active preamp. Here you have the standard four controls, except that they're not 2T 2V. Instead, you have a master volume, master treble, master bass, blend knob. And, of course, a pair of coil taps and a phase switch. The master treble and master bass knob offer a full 15 dB active boost and cut beyond where you'd normally "dime" a set of 2T2V controls. The blend knob takes great advantage of the phase switch; there are a TON of usable tones out there on either side of the center position when the phase switch is engaged, particularly when used with the advanced tone controls.

And of course, there are the Variax guitars -- the older ones can be had for around $350 (the Electric 500, for example). In a praise/worship setting, these are amazingly versatile, allowing you to fit in with acoustic guitars, allowing you to essentially play bass (using the alternate tunings) and offering a wide variety of electric guitar sounds.