Hi,

I bought a cheap,terrible beginners guitar two months ago to see if I wanted to continue to play the guitar or not, and I definitely do. But as my current guitar's pretty bad I've been looking for a guitar I like the look of at a decent price and narrowed it down to two guitars:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro and the Fender Squier Classic Tele 50s.

I was wondering if these are good for a beginner like me. I like the Les Paul better but it's £100 dearer, or £399 altogether($650) and I was wondering if this is too dear for a beginner too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by DingoLingo720 at Nov 18, 2013,
If you know that you are going to continue playing, you could spend as much money on your guitar as you want. Beginners are usually advised to buy a bit cheaper guitars because they may not know if they will continue playing - but you know that you want to continue. So if you prefer the Les Paul, buy it. I wouldn't look at the price that much if you feel like you have found the right guitar. I wouldn't want to make compromises because buying a worse guitar now won't keep you satisfied that long.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
If you know that you are going to continue playing, you could spend as much money on your guitar as you want. Beginners are usually advised to buy a bit cheaper guitars because they may not know if they will continue playing - but you know that you want to continue. So if you prefer the Les Paul, buy it. I wouldn't look at the price that much if you feel like you have found the right guitar. I wouldn't want to make compromises because buying a worse guitar now won't keep you satisfied that long.

Though I generally second that, I still would wait with buying a new guitar. Before I got my first decent guitar, I've been playing over a year on a cheap stratocaster rip-off. It's better to learn playing on a bad guitar and amp because they are usually less forgiving to mistakes (so you have to pay more attention to your technique) and after said year or two you actually know to appreciate your new guitar because you (painfully) remember how playing on a low budget guit feels like.
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
Quote by Dragonfyre137
Though I generally second that, I still would wait with buying a new guitar. Before I got my first decent guitar, I've been playing over a year on a cheap stratocaster rip-off. It's better to learn playing on a bad guitar and amp because they are usually less forgiving to mistakes (so you have to pay more attention to your technique) and after said year or two you actually know to appreciate your new guitar because you (painfully) remember how playing on a low budget guit feels like.

I don't know if I agree. If the guitar is really crappy, it won't inspire you to play at all and you'll practice less. And if you buy a better guitar, you'll practice more and improve faster. You want your guitar to feel as good as possible in your hands. If you want to make your playing harder, why not just set your action ridiculously high?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Either of the guitars you mentioned would be fantastic beginner choices. You've already got better tastes than most of EG.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Okay thanks everybody, I think I'll oh forthright Epihpone. If it's something I'll be playing for a long time I might aswell make it a guitar I really like.

Thanks again!