Currently i have an Ibanez RG7321 and i hate it lol. The strings buzz regardless of the action/truss setup. I cannot get the intonation right. I put a dimarzio evolution 7 in the bridge position and it still sounds thin and crummy lol. It was a cheap guitar though and i expected abiout as much.

Curently im stuck between two guitars:

The ESP LTD MH-417

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-MH-417-7-String-Electric-Guitar-106233729-i1503630.gc

OR

The Ibanez Premium RG927QMF

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-Premium-RG927QMF-7-String-Electric-Guitar-108591538-i2824684.gc

I plan on using Drop G# and Drop A tunings.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these guitars? Im not looking to spend over a grand and im open to suggestions.

Im looking for a guitar that translates well to the recording world. ill be playing very tight sounding metal and im looking for a guitar that will offer playability, and clarity. I will probably put bare knucle pickups in whatever i get.

Thanks in advanced for your help guys!
(signature removed, please choose another)
I don't know about the the ESP, but I had tested the Ibanez 927 once. Feels nice, though I don't like the RG form. I'm nore into the S-Series. I can't say there was any fret buzz. What string gauge and what tuning did you use when you experience said fret buzz? I'm not sure now, but the 7th String usually has a 56 gauge. That might be too thin for dropping down to G#. Try using heavier gauge. Or you migh also concider simply using a 6-string with a heavy gauge. I think Ernie Ball sells a pack of gauge 12 strings (6th string would be 60 or 62).
Ibanez S570DXQM-BBB
DiMarzio Evolution HSH
Ibanez RG927WBBZ-TGF
DiMarzio Evolution 7 & DiMarzio LiquiFire 7
Peavey Valve King 112, Peavey Vypyr 15
Harley Benton NG-100, Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by metalmingee
In fact, wanting different tunings is one of the best reasons to convince others that you need more guitars.
You might want to check out the Schecter Hellraiser C-7. Fantastic guitar, and an absolute bargain for the price. The EMG's sound nice too, both splitted and normal.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
For what its worth, i never liked schecters. they always felt bulky and kinda cheap to me (i know i posted an esp lol).

AMP: peavey 6505+

Cab: marshall 1960av

Strings: On the Rg i have now i have a D'Addario XL nickle wound .68 for the low B string, and an XL nickle wound light top/heavy bottom 10-52 D'addario set for the rest.
Pedals: i tend not to use them. I have a boss eq pedal, a jekyll and hyde overdrive/distortion and a boss ns-2 noise gate.

I will also be plugging directly into my interface (presonus firepod) and then using virtual amp sims occasionally.

im open to other suggestions as well. like i said, im not a schecter fan. The hellraiser 6 string i tired seemed very bulky and i just didnt like it.

This guitar will mostly be used in my home studio, i dont have a band currently so it wont see any gigging. atleast not for the foreseeable future.

Thanks a ton guys, i really appreciate it.
should i look at some extended scale instruments? im looking for great clarity and string tension at very low tunings.
What are some of the main differences with bigger scale instruments like 27"
The distance between the bridge and the nut will be longer and the frets will be further apart.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
how do you like you alex wade sig? What kind of stuff do you play?
A wide variety of rock and metal. I like it a lot. I really like the neck. It's glossy, but it has worked very well for me. I haven't felt any cramping or fatigue from it. The stock D-Activators are quite good. I'm still thinking of changing them eventually, but I'm in no rush. Sounds like a monster through my 5150 212. I really didn't enjoy trying to play in Drop G on it, though. That's probably because I'm not too crazy about having to use massive strings to achieve that. So that's a personal issue of mine. Worked just fine for Drop A (AEADGBE). But that's expected.

I remember Alex saying he used a 68 for the low G, so it's certainly doable for Drop G#. But he's been moving into the extended range territory for recordings tuned that low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUNGDSCqsTg

I think he's playing in Drop F on this 27". Maybe you can get your hands on a used SCT607B. There's also Agile. You can get one of their extended scale 7 strings and put whatever Bare Knuckles you had in mind into it.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Reviews are mixed because the quality control is hit and miss. However, living in America means you can easily contact Rondo and get any issue sorted out. I hear the guy that handles all of that is amazingly helpful and will gladly refund or replace the guitar.

Can't go wrong with either of those. Decide if you want a 30" scale length or a 27" and pick that guitar.

Personally, I would choose the 27". I don't have much use for 30", that's a nice blue, and I'm fine with Blackouts. But it's your guitar. You pick.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
If you like your 7321. why not go for the RG927? i have a premium 7 (the 827QMZ), the build quality on mine is nearly faultless and it plays better than most 7s i have tried to date.

EDIT: as far scale goes, 25.5" is fine for drop A and Drop G#, Thats what i usually play in and have had no issues with it, if you are concerned you could always go to 26.5" (RGD) for that little bit of extra tension. If you were playing in drop g and lower i would go to 27" though, just my 2c.
Last edited by sl1pk0t001 at Nov 20, 2013,
i hate everything about my 7321 haha. plus that guitar has a trem which i have no use for. I think im gonna go for an Agile septor elite.