So I'm deciding between a fender hellcat 6 string and 12 string. I normally wouldn't spring for an 'artist model' guitar, but I've heard good things about this one. Also, it's smaller than a normal acoustic which is a plus for me and it has an input. I've never had an acoustic guitar that was set up properly (I'm left handed and have flipped a few) so this will be my first and only acoustic. Which would be better? I was thinking the 12 string because I have more tuning options/more of a "full"/chorus-y sound if that makes sense. I'm not sure though. I'm going to be plugging it in to effects a lot, too. So it'll be interesting to hear how either would sound.

Thanks for any help
Quote by Green_Ghoul
So I'm deciding between a fender hellcat 6 string and 12 string. I normally wouldn't spring for an 'artist model' guitar, but I've heard good things about this one. Also, it's smaller than a normal acoustic which is a plus for me and it has an input. I've never had an acoustic guitar that was set up properly (I'm left handed and have flipped a few) so this will be my first and only acoustic. Which would be better? I was thinking the 12 string because I have more tuning options/more of a "full"/chorus-y sound if that makes sense. I'm not sure though. I'm going to be plugging it in to effects a lot, too. So it'll be interesting to hear how either would sound.

Thanks for any help
First, this link should take of any of your future needs in the way of left handed string instruments, of all types: http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/LHMenu.htm

Second, while the 6 string "Hellcat" is indeed one of Fender's better acoustics and is well received, the jury, (I think), is still out on the 12 string model.

The Hellcat has a mahogany soundboard, as such, it's already a bright sounding guitar, with only 6 strings. A 12 string presents itself to the ears a being about a fifth higher than a standard 6 string. So, I predict really bright for the 12 string model.

It's going to be virtually mandatory to tune your 12 string to D - D standard. (Leo Kotke suggests C# to C#, 3 semitones down, instead of only 2). That's going to give you, effectively, a 12 fret neck design.

12 strings can be tiring to play, both physically, and to the ears. They also require a lighter picking/strumming touch, and for that reason, you can't vent all of one's typical strumming dynamics on them, as you would be able to with a 6 string.

"The Byrd's sound", courtesy of Roger Mcguinn, is what many folks think of, (at least us old timers), when they think of 12 strings. That tone is courtesy of a Rick electric 12, a compressor, and a shitload of mid-range boost.

Personally, I don't strive for that bright, penetrating, sound when I play my twelves as solo instruments.

So, I'm going to speculate: The 12 string Hellcat will be quite bright, you'll need to plug it in, to use an amp's, (in addition to the guitar's), EQ controls). Note I'm not going for volume, just a healthy bass boost, and some trimming of the mids and highs. (Results using your ears of course, may vary).

The most interesting thing about 12 strings is, once you get up to the 2nd fret on the D-4 string, the open note on the e-1 string is present. Effectively you can play a bass and/or melody note all the way up the D string and the e-1 note will occur 2 frets down. So G (3rd fret e-1) is going to appear on D-4 @ the 5th fret. This becomes a tactical exercise in avoiding having the notes sound lower, when you cross to either of the unison pairs.

With a small body, any 12 string can't help but be a trifle shrill. That's where the amp and guitar's EQ controls come into play. Push a few Db of boost into the bottom end, and you get rich full bass, and retain a nice sparkle as well.

I seriously wouldn't ever buy a non-A/E 12 string.

BTW, I almost always kick in a chorus when I'm playing my twelves anyway....

Anyhoo, this is my weapon of choice: Here's its link:
http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/crafter/12_string_hybrid.htm

This came with steel strings, which I replaced with standard PB acoustic set, and I always play it off the piezo under the bridge. (That SC junk up front is too thin and noisy).

With that said, this is easier to fret than a big body, (dreadnought size) 12 string, has gobs of sustain, and doesn't load up as much when you're strumming it.

Feel free to post back if you have any more questions...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Nov 19, 2013,