I am looking at getting an amp in addition to my
Jcm head.

I decided on a combo because I don't really have the space In my car to lug a cab about if one isn't at a venue which would mean I would be ampless.

I quite like the blackstar id. Tried one, sounded good. I know it emulates tubes and does a pretty good job but being a solid state I don't know if it'll cut through like a tube amp will

But up until recently I've been dead set on getting one.

But then I started looking at the pod hd500x. Sounds pretty good from what I've seen.
Apparently the guy from fear factory uses one as his rig with no amp.

But my fear is, could I put all my faith in an effects pedal to be my rig and go to a gig without an amp?

What are people's thoughts on this situation?
I'm very close to spending some money and if going to do it might as well do it right.

Another big plus is the ease of tweaking my sound via my computer and being able to record easy with it as micing up a half stack in a flat isn't viable. And I like the thought of being able to replicate my recording sound on stage.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
That's a lot of information but really just:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31052894&postcount=2

I hear the POD HDs are really decent and you can hook them up to a PA so yes, that is a viable option.
The downside of being ampless is that you have to rely totally on the sound guy getting your foldback monitoring right. I had a faulty wedge in front of me at a gig just the other night. Screw that. No way I'd play without being in control of my own foldback and that means a decent guitar amp behind me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I do not think I could ever go ampless. Worst thing that could happen would be A jackass sound engineer to f*** things up.then you still have your amp behind you

But again i carry an extra amp in the truck.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
True, a bad sound guy could mess things up.

Has anyone had any experience with the blackstar id range? I've just played it in store. But I like the tube emulation to mix up tones depending on songs.

But like I said without being tube I don't know how well it'll hold up in a gigging situation. I tried a spider head at practice that was lying about and it had no balls and the other guys drowned it out no matter how much I cranked it
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
If I was to do this I'd get the HD500 and a powered foldback wedge. Then your arse is covered. That's effectively a guitar amp, just a little unconventional.
I don't really know those Blackstar things so I won't comment but the Pod HD is not a bad jigger.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification