What are your opinions on this? Which one would you rather go with? Obviously, individual pedals can be quite expensive, but are there any good multi-effect pedalboards for a reasonable price? Ideally I'd like to build up a collection of individual pedals (who wouldn't?) but my budget is somewhat of a setback. Also, do I have to splash out to get decent pedals? I'm only looking for basic ones such as delay, distortion, overdrive, flanger etc. right now, can anyone recommend some good pedals for about £40 each at most? Or is it impossible to get good ones for that price?..

Thanks in advance for any help
Line 6 M13.

The line 6 m13 or M9 is the best when it comes to multieffects pedals that have that single effect pedal "feel".

If you cant afford the M9 or m13, then simply purchase two m5's.

The M5 is like a multi-effect pedal in a single effect pedal shape and form.

The M5 is probly the best multi-effects pedal on the market that does the best job of using the wonders of digital technology with the feel and sound quality of single effects pedals.

I like the m5/m13/m9 better than the onboard effects of a line 6 podHD or alot of single effects pedals. The disortions are decent, the modulations, delays, and reverbs tough are were it is at. Amazing chorus, tremolo, univibe, delays and reverbs to be had all around. These little boxes are magick and you will be definately happy with either an m5 or an m9 if you could afford it.

And that is saying alot my friends.

There are good multi effects but to get anything good you have to spend quite a deal of money.

Look into Mooer.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Pretty much the modulations, delays, and reverbs on the m5 rival almost every other stomp box in the market.

Especially if you are talking about delays and reverbs this thing is phenominal.
Quote by Cathbard
There are good multi effects but to get anything good you have to spend quite a deal of money.

Look into Mooer.

IDK man.

For the money he will drop on 3 or four Mooer pedals he could just get one M5 from line 6 that has like 100+ effects and that all are most likely better than any Mooer pedal he will purchase anywhere.

I would suggest a boss pedal over Mooer anyday. Maybe even Behringer pedals over Mooer.

Surely the danelectro stuff.

But for the money you will be droping on 2 or 3 mooer pedals it would make alot more sense to get one or two M5 pedals by line 6 used if possible.

Even getting one m5 over 2 or 3 mooer pedals would be better IMO.
Last edited by Dunning~Kruger at Nov 18, 2013,
Behringer over Mooer? Now you're just taking the piss. Some of the Danelectro pedals sound good (I use a Fish & Chips and own a FAB chorus) but they are built terribly. I'm always worried that the button's gonna crap out during a gig, they look like that mousetrap game inside, especially the FAB series. The Mooers are solidly built little jiiggers. They sound as good or better than the Dano stuff but won't fly apart on you at a gig.
And Boss? He was asking about budget pedals so that's moot.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 18, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Behringer over Mooer? Now you're just taking the piss. Some of the Danelectro pedals sound good (I use a Fish & Chips and own a FAB chorus) but they are built terribly. I'm always worried that the button's gonna crap out during a gig, they look like that mousetrap game inside, especially the FAB series. The Mooers are solidly built little jiiggers. They sound as good or better than the Dano stuff but won't fly apart on you at a gig.
And Boss? He was asking about budget pedals so that's moot.

Ok then well If you vouch for the Mooers so passionately they must be a solid peice of gear then.

Honestly havent tried one.

But I still retain that one or two line 6 m5 pedals would be a better route for the OP as opposed to buy 4 or even 5 mooer pedals.

Mooer would not be too bad I imagine Cathbard now that you put it like that.

But I will stick by getting the one or two m5 pedals over the 4 mooer pedals. For the most part you never have more than two or 3 effects on at a time in general for alot of style of music.

And if the OP needs a diffrent kind of effect the m5's 100+ options of effects would suffice IMO and no doubt better than any of the stuff coming out of Mooer despite how awesome I imaigine they might be or how great you state they are.
Yeah, if you're looking to spend 40 a pop, don't waste your time. Just get an MFX.

I don't have a strong preference either way. I LOVE the amp/FX routing capabilities of an MFX. I also like the idea of having a fleet of stompboxes (I'm building a large board at the moment). I have used both. It just depends on the situation.

I'm in two bands. In one, I play progressive death metal. I would never consider using stompboxes for that band (again). I used to, it was not pretty. I need to switch FX and channels and all kinds of shit too much instantaneously for it to be viable in any way.

My other band is an indie/atmospheric/rock band. The music is not anywhere near as intense or demanding. In that scenario, I can bring out pedals, because they're fun to play with and create sounds with.

So consider your playing style and your needs. But given your budget limitations, I suggest you aave up for a Line 6 M9. They are excellent values, and definitely worth the cost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

So consider your playing style and your needs. But given your budget limitations, I suggest you aave up for a Line 6 M9. They are excellent values, and definitely worth the cost.

All of this pretty much.

Quote by mickel_w
can anyone recommend some good pedals for about £40 each at most?

Not really gonna jump in on the debate, but I have three. Got a used Digidelay at $40USD ,Dan'o Fish n Chips is cheaper, and a Joyo Ac Tone at like $30USD. I like all three, personally.

I Also have a Mooer Shimverb that was $70 though. I really like it, it's only good for cleans though. Sounds awful with distortion.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
what about that t rex system out?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
has anyone tried the fender mustang floor? i know the mustang amps are suprisingly good as far as modeling amps go and i don't see a reason why the floor model should be any different, but i haven't tried it out myself
Quote by tas38

I Also have a Mooer Shimverb that was $70 though. I really like it, it's only good for cleans though. Sounds awful with distortion.

What's it based on? Or at least, what processor thingy is inside it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What's it based on? Or at least, what processor thingy is inside it?

Supposedly based on the Strymon Bluesky. I've heard them side by side because I'm still deciding on what reverb I want to get and... eh. It sounds good, but it's not a 100% clone. It doesn't sound Strymon good (as nothing really does).

The big issue I have with the Shimverb is that it adds +5 semitones, instead of +octave. That makes it kind of useless depending on what chords you use, I definitely wouldn't get one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by mmolteratx
Both the BlueSky and ShimVerb are shit.

Why do you say that? I really love what I've heard out of the Bluesky.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Dunning Kruger:

Thank you so much for posting that picture of an M9. I never knew a looper like that existed. I made a thread in response to your picture please read it
I need help to find something like that without all the stupid effects built in
The room/spring algorithms have an octave + a fifth harmony interval that sounds blah, especially when changing keys with extended chord voicings. Which honestly didn't bother me because shimmer is such a cheesy and overused effect recently. But the room mode was bland and had a shrill high end to the decay that sounded really unnatural, and you weren't able to dial it out with the tone control. The spring didn't sound anything remotely like a spring reverb, and neither did the plate. The only reverb I've had that I liked less was the ShimVerb, which isn't saying much since I really hated that one as well. The difference was that one cost me $40, while the Strymon was $300.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
So you don't like shimmer, that's fair enough. Are there any pedal verbs you do like?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I love the Space, Dr. Scientist RRR, the Wet, the RV-7, Supernatural, Spring Theory, etc. There are a lot of great reverb pedals, though my favorite sounds are in the Eventide H7600/8000 racks.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I actually far prefer the sound of some of the single stompboxes. Even the digital ones which are in a way like the multiFX in technology, but have substantially better algorithms. With that said, I myself am planning to just keep my EHX Ring Thing, Fulltone Wah and TC Nova Delay while replacing everything else with a Kemper. I still think some of the other pedals are better than ill get in a multiFX, but pedals are a massive pain in the ass.

Long story short....I say get a decent quality multiFX. If you need it for recording at home i'd say a POD HD (awesome amp simulation), or a M13 (for FX only).
The Zoom G3X, Zoom G5 and Zoom MS-50G or MS 70CDR are all very good pedals.

There is a lot of love for Line 6 gear on this forum, but take it from me, you really need to check out the latest Zoom multifx pedals. They are very good.

If you do a little googling, you will find yourself quite quickly on other sites such as The Gear Page that will offer other advice. At the end of the day you make your own choices, but I am very happy with my Zoom G3X.

Of course there are magazines as well, but I'm sure you will be told to ignore them by some people on here because they are bought and paid for by the manufacturers. But bear in mind that some people on here don't know what they are talking about but state it very forcefully so you might think they do.
I have a G3, great pedal, but the m9 sounds better.

I use both multi and single fx, depending on the situation. Hell, sometimes I get wild and crazy and plug straight into the amp.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
this may be a certain approach of mine that may be different, but here is what i do.

i have an old MFX i bought back when i started (2003ish), the amp models aren't great, but they are usable and the effects are different, it has always had when i needed. its a Korg AX1500G. i use it now to mess around but wouldn't ever gig with it.

but when i think 'building a pedal board' i think of it as a process, get what you want/need when you need something for something. or a good deal, or someting cool, etc.

i think of it as a process over time, weeks/months/years, etc. i probably have a dozen pedals (not sure) but at least 5 are OD's and the other ones i can't think of. i can find things i like for $80-$150, i always buy used. but mien has grown. i had tim build a zendrive and timmy for me. stellar job IMO.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If I did buy the POD HD, would that be good for BOTH gigging and recording?..
I've been looking into recording at home, and I have started off with a cheap guitar link interface, but I was considering buying the Scarlett USB Interface (I've forgotten the actual name of it now). I also have a Line 6 POD 2.0 at home, would it be better to try and record through that or stick with my cheap USB interface for now until I get a better one? I record into Reaper/Logic (mac user).
Pod HD is good to gig with as well as record

for the interface, go guitar - Pod - guitar in of usb interface - logic
Quote by ScalaMania
Pod HD is good to gig with as well as record

for the interface, go guitar - Pod - guitar in of usb interface - logic

What difference does that make to guitar - pod - logic? or guitar - interface -logic?
Sorry, I'm just a noob at these things

Also, anyone have any opinions on the Peavey X-port USB Guitar interface?
Last edited by mickel_w at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by tas38

Really? I use mine with all kinds of dirt (OD, fuzz, high-gain distortion) and sounds good.
Especially with fuzz, i get pretty cool shoegaze tones from it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
since no one has mentioned it OP check your used market as you can certainly find some decent pedals used for the money you have.
Quote by Linkerman
Really? I use mine with all kinds of dirt (OD, fuzz, high-gain distortion) and sounds good.
Especially with fuzz, i get pretty cool shoegaze tones from it.

Well shoegaze goes for some pretty crazy tones, so that could make sense. For more "traditional" stuff it doesn't work. It's very rough sounding at least to me.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
What are some advantages/disadvantages of having 2 line 6 m5's over one line 6 m9 or m13? Which is better in your opinion??
I finally ended getting the kemper. After playing with it I am going to sell all my pedals except. With that said, I am gonna miss my nova delay, and ring thing a lot

The studio now
If you are going to be using it live then you will need some sort of MIDI controller so you may as well make a pedalboard to hold that and the two or three pedals that you still want. It's not going to make it that much bigger.
In the studio wtf does it matter? Just bring out the pedals you want when you need them. Hell, in a studio setting you could have a cupboard full of pedals that you only use occasionally.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are going to be using it live then you will need some sort of MIDI controller so you may as well make a pedalboard to hold that and the two or three pedals that you still want. It's not going to make it that much bigger.
In the studio wtf does it matter? Just bring out the pedals you want when you need them. Hell, in a studio setting you could have a cupboard full of pedals that you only use occasionally.

Yeah, I already set it up to use my POD as the midi controller.