I've been saving up for a new axe for a while, and with x-mas coming up, I think its a good time for me to finally pick one up.

I've been saving, knowing that I want a new guitar, but I've been having a terrible time deciding exactly what I want. That's what brings me here. I'm just looking for a little guidance on how I should spend my money wisely!

So to start, I live in Saskatoon Canada, with the closest music store being Long and Mcquade. I have about $1500 to spend. I personally would spend more, but with an up coming wedding to also finance, I think my Fiancée is already going to have my balls for dropping that much

Right now I have a 97's Snakepit LP with Alico II's, an 85' MIJ Strat with GFS lil' killers (going to put some fender noiseless in the middle and neck this week), and a MIM tele bone stock. My LP has been my go to axe for the past 8 or so years, with my strat slowly working its way to that position with the new pickups (I only got the thing about 8 months ago). I don't really play my tele much, but I like it. If I went to sell it, I'd probably only manage to get $250-300 for it, so in my eyes I'm better off keeping it, and probably throw some better pups in it and mod it a little down the road.

I'm looking for something a little more aggressive than my lp and strat. I normally play blues, rock, punk and pop, but I've been trying to expand my skill set (sweeping, tapping) and style a little by learn some more metal (metallica, ax7, nothing too heavy), and I find my current gear to be a little to rock n' roll... if that makes sense. So I guess I'm looking for something that does rock/hard rock great, but can also cover metal better then my LP. I also wouldn't mind having something with 24frets, but that's not a must. It must have a slim neck. My LP has a 60's slime taper, so thats what I've become accustomed to.

What do you recommend? I've always been a LP guy, but it seems most of the new LP are out of my price range. I've looked at PRS (SE custom 24) but I'd prefer to get something american made, rather than an import.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
You're in Canada, so let's start with a good local product: Canada's Godin makes good guitars, and their Redline models are made with hard rock & metal in mind. They have slender necks, hot passive or EMG pickups, 24 frets.

And they're very good guitars for the price.

If you can find it, the discontinued Godin Velocity is also made with the same target market in mind.

http://godinguitars.com/godinproductlistingp.htm

A little further south is Detroit's Reverend brand. Most of their stuff is aimed at the mainstream country/classic rock/blues/hard rock portion of the spectrum, but a few of their models are thoroughly capable of delving into metal. Look at the Bayonets, Kingbolt RA, Sensei RA, Volcano RA, and the Reeves Gabrels II- all have hotter pickups than the usual, with a hybrid blade/pole design that is great for drop tuning.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 18, 2013,
Check out Fernandes guitars as well. Their entire focus is on the hard rock/metal guitarist. They make really good guitars, but they're not as high-profile as brands like Ibanez, BC Rich, or Shecter.

But if you look at their artist roster, you'll see they're used by performers you know.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 18, 2013,
As a Les Paul player and a fellow Canadian, I vote getting an Ibanez. I find my two Ibanez guitars play differently (in a good way) than my LP, and I reach for the Ibanez when I want to play shred stuff usually. Look in to their prestige line as many of their guitars are around you're price range. I went with an Ibanez S series but see what feels comfortable for you. Ibanez has been the only other company Ive found who's craftsmanship is on par with Gibson.
What gives me wood:

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Ibanez S5470F
Ibanez RGD2127fx
Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR
Axe FX II
Mackie HD1221
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You're in Canada, so let's start with a good local product: Canada's Godin makes good guitars, and their Redline models are made with hard rock & metal in mind. They have slender necks, hot passive or EMG pickups, 24 frets.

And they're very good guitars for the price.

If you can find it, the discontinued Godin Velocity is also made with the same target market in mind.

http://godinguitars.com/godinproductlistingp.htm

A little further south is Detroit's Reverend brand. Most of their stuff is aimed at the mainstream country/classic rock/blues/hard rock portion of the spectrum, but a few of their models are thoroughly capable of delving into metal. Look at the Bayonets, Kingbolt RA, Sensei RA, Volcano RA, and the Reeves Gabrels II- all have hotter pickups than the usual, with a hybrid blade/pole design that is great for drop tuning.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/category/guitar/

EMG pickups are bobbins mate
Quote by MCR95
EMG pickups are bobbins mate

I don't care for EMGs myself, but they ARE an ingredient in the tone some metal guitarists prefer, so I have no problem recommending EMG-equipped guitars for people who are aiming for a metal tone.

Thanks for the great replies!

Ill take a look through these. I completly forgor about godin guitars.

I think I'd rathet stick to passive over active pickups.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
I'm really digging the Fernandes Ravelle Elite!

Has anyone tried one of these?

I remember seeing Dave K from VR use them, and thought that they looked pretty cool.

I can't seem to find much info on the neck shape. Most reviews say that it has a fast neck, so I'm guessing its probably fairly thin? I like that fact that it comes with the JB, and it somewhat resembles a lp as well .

The only model that I can find with 24 frets is the splatted, which I do like the looks of, but it comes with EMG's Are there any other models that come with 24 frets + Passive PU's?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Look for a used PRS CE22/24

How far away from the US border are you? You can get them used from GC for $900-$1400. It might be worth the gas money to drive to the US grab a used one and drive home. You'd have a USA PRS.

But look locally, you may find one in your price range
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've been scouring kijiji for the past year and I haven't seen anything decent come up at all.

I'm def willing to go used, but there's not really a great market for it here.

It'd be about a 10hr drive to get me to Montana or N Dakota.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
I live in Edmonton. I haven't found anything on Kijiji guitarwise that's decent. For some reason people around here try and sell used guitars for almost what they're worth new. I heard that Guitar Center now ships used gear to Canada now, but I haven't looked into it much more than that.

I usually buy my guitars new but I had a great experience with Agile Guitars. My LP has been great and they have a ton of more shred-oriented guitars.
Gear:

Fender Strat
PRS SE Custom 24
Agile AL-3100

Jet City JCA50H
Randall 2x12 wV30s
Quote by red.guitar
I'm really digging the Fernandes Ravelle Elite!

Has anyone tried one of these?

I remember seeing Dave K from VR use them, and thought that they looked pretty cool.

I can't seem to find much info on the neck shape. Most reviews say that it has a fast neck, so I'm guessing its probably fairly thin? I like that fact that it comes with the JB, and it somewhat resembles a lp as well .

The only model that I can find with 24 frets is the splatted, which I do like the looks of, but it comes with EMG's Are there any other models that come with 24 frets + Passive PU's?

I have two Ravelles and love them. One just has some hot passives, the Elite has a Sustainer. They are very like Les Pauls in terms of mass, ergonomics and natural sustain.

The necks are fairly slender. Not as skinny as something like an Ibanez Wizard, but among the skinniest in my collection- only my Dean Cadillac is similarly built.

I'm not sure any of the Ravelles actually have 24 frets, though. That may have been a typo.

Other notable Ravelle players are Reeves Gabrels and Dave Navarro.

Quote by evmac
I live in Edmonton. I haven't found anything on Kijiji guitarwise that's decent. For some reason people around here try and sell used guitars for almost what they're worth new. I heard that Guitar Center now ships used gear to Canada now, but I haven't looked into it much more than that.

I usually buy my guitars new but I had a great experience with Agile Guitars. My LP has been great and they have a ton of more shred-oriented guitars.

Same around here. Everyone is wants top dollar for anything worth looking at. The only thing that I can find on kijiji right now is a 75' LP standard that the guy want $2500 for

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have two Ravelles and love them. One just has some hot passives, the Elite has a Sustainer. They are very like Les Pauls in terms of mass, ergonomics and natural sustain.

The necks are fairly slender. Not as skinny as something like an Ibanez Wizard, but among the skinniest in my collection- only my Dean Cadillac is similarly built.

I'm not sure any of the Ravelles actually have 24 frets, though. That may have been a typo.

Other notable Ravelle players are Reeves Gabrels and Dave Navarro.

Swee! I'm really considering the Ravelle now. I love the look of its finish from the pic's. The only thing is that I would have to order one from out of province, so I wouldn't have a chance to try it out first.

Are the Elite's made in the USA?
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
I don't think any Fernandes guitars are MiA- they're a Japanese company. The Elites are MiK.

They're very well made MiK, too. I've had my Elite over a year now, and still haven't had an issue with it: no fit or finish flaws, good tuners, etc. It's as solid as the rock it was meant to play.

Here's a tip: go to their website and hit the link to their online store. They sell a limited number of their guitars directly through the website, at generally reduced prices. Here are the Ravelles currently for sale:

http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/21-shin-series-guitars
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/33-ravelle

(Don't buy the SHIN Koi- MINE! )

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 19, 2013,
Good to know!

I'm just not sure if I would really save that much, by the time I pay shipping, and get raped by the UPS brokerage fee for carrying it across the border.

I'm gonna check out what the price would be at the shop in Calgary.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
If you want a PRS CE22/24, hit me with a PM I feel in the Christmas spirit and I'll go pick you one up and ship it out if your interested. There are a few at the local GC for $1000-$1350
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks for the sweet offer!

I'm going to head to L&M Fri when Im off and try out some guitars. I'll let you know then if I can't find anything I like.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look for a used PRS CE22/24

How far away from the US border are you? You can get them used from GC for $900-$1400. It might be worth the gas money to drive to the US grab a used one and drive home. You'd have a USA PRS.

But look locally, you may find one in your price range

I thought I'd post an update, to let everyone know I ended up getting a great deal on a tobacco burst Gibson 60's tribute with p90s. Not exactly what I had in mind when I set out, but I fell in love with its slim 60's neck, and the p90's are punchy as hell!

Thanks for all the help!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112