Hey guys, sorry to make this thread but I need some advise.

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/6512/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Traynor_Amplifiers/Custom_Valve_50_Watt_in_Black.htm

Basically, I've been playing for like 8 years... On a Cube 15x lol. I'm exhausted with this awful tone. I wanna start playing small gigs every now and then, or maybe even make cover songs on youtube.

The heaviest thing I play would be Lamb of God, Megadeth, Metallica, Iron Maiden however if I'm going to be gigging I need something really versatile, so from what I've heard maybe putting an Ibanez tube screamer infront of this would give me what I want.
The amps natural distortion should cover the rest.

If someone has any better solutions for not a penny more then 899.00 from Long and Mcquade I'd be interested.

My other question is this going to be too loud for bedroom playing. If I play it at a low volume it should be okay eh?

Thanks in advance guys.
First of all, plugging a Tubescreamer into a modelling amp is going to produce subpar results.

Second, I have never played that amp you linked. If you have a chance to go to their store, however, give the Orange Dark Terror head a try. You would have to buy a cab for it, but honestly L&M's combo selection is pretty poor.
That's not a modelling amp its a tube amp isn't it?... I hope i'm not losing it.

Also I think the dark terror is too heavy.

L&M is basically my only option because I'm from a very small province.
Quote by Bubbles516
That's not a modelling amp its a tube amp isn't it?... I hope i'm not losing it.

I was talking about your Cube. Sorry, didn't know you spun off and started talking about the Traynor.

And you listed heavy bands, so I recommended a heavy amp.

Is there much of a used market over there? Or are you being forced to buy new?
Nah hardly any used market, and if you buy used you might have to drive that far that you're not even saving any money lol.

I listed the heavy bands as an extreme basically, but a nice clean and good led zeppelin bluesy sound is more important.
That Traynor actually looks like a pretty solid amp IMO. Pretty versatile. I've just never played one, so I can't give much input. Perhaps somebody here can shed some light.
I have that amp, it's pretty good. Lots of features. It does not have a lot of distortion, so you'll have the gain knob on 10 when playing any sort of metal. It is good for gigging and practice at home; maybe a tad on the quiet side if you're competing with a loud drummer and a second guitarist with a half stack.

Mine was quite a bit cheaper if I remember correctly though.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Thanks for the response guys.

@jthm the tube screamer would probably help give it that pinch more gain lol.

Its funny the difference in opinion though eh. I read one review where they say they sold the amp because it was just too loud haha.
Quote by Bubbles516
Well I made a down payment on the ycv50 now i'm just hoping its good!

Make sure you post pics and clips! Would love to hear what that amp has to offer.

Solid amp.

From Random island eh? I'm originally from C-Ville Living in Sask now though.

You're only the 2nd islander I've see on here.

Nice choice in amp btw! I played in a band with a guy who had ycv40 back in Highschool. As much as I can remember, that was a pretty solid amp!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by Bubbles516
Thanks for the response guys.

@jthm the tube screamer would probably help give it that pinch more gain lol.

Its funny the difference in opinion though eh. I read one review where they say they sold the amp because it was just too loud haha.

All the Traynors I've ever played were barely loud enough and much quieter than other amps of similar wattage. Generally the few times I've used them with a band I had the volume nearly maxed. I wasn't playing in a particularly loud band either. Saying that, I did find that I could cut through the mix much easier and at a much lower volume than I could with my Mesa.

I was really impressed by the cleans, but honestly I kind of felt the driven tones left a LOT to be desired. They sounded thin and papery to my ears.

Personally I would look into the Orange Tiny/Dual/Dark Terror or a used Mesa TA-15 or Express 50... That said a lot of people really do swear by Traynors so give it a shot and if you don't like it take advantage of L&Ms return policy.
if you need more gain, stomp a boss st2. its cheap and amplike and Tony Monaco sized. absolutely huge in my opinion
Quote by icronic
All the Traynors I've ever played were barely loud ***ugh and much quieter than other amps of similar wattage. Generally the few times I've used them with a band I had the volume nearly maxed. I wasn't playing in a particularly loud band either. Saying that, I did find that I could cut through the mix much easier and at a much lower volume than I could with my Mesa.

I was really impressed by the cleans, but honestly I kind of felt the driven tones left a LOT to be desired. They sounded thin and papery to my ears.

Personally I would look into the Orange Tiny/Dual/Dark Terror or a used Mesa TA-15 or Express 50... That said a lot of people really do swear by Traynors so give it a shot and if you don't like it take advantage of L&Ms return policy.

Traynor amps are usually know for being loud. I know when I played in a band with a guy who had the ycv40, it kept up with my 36' coupé, and my other buddy's classic 50 410.

You're right tho, they have great cleans, but a pretty sub par distorted channel. I believe my friend was using a Marshall governor with his. It sounded good, for a led Zeppelin Hendrix type od.

If you can manage another $100, the YCS50 is what you really want. Solid amp for rock.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by ScalaMania
if you need more gain, stomp a boss st2. its cheap and amplike and Tony Monaco sized. absolutely huge in my opinion

No, not at all. A tube screamer of some kind is what you use with a tube amp

The Traynor your getting is very Marshall JCM800ish in tone and gain. Throw a TS-9/similar as a boost and you can do some pretty heavy styles of music.

The V30 speaker is a very loud speaker, so in a typical band you should be fine. You can always add another 1x12 cab if you need a little more punch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hey thanks everyone for their takes on this amp.

I've gone with it, I'm gunna pick it up later this month. If its not what I want I'll just exchange it or return it or something.

Sounds like it should be fine, its kinda unfortunate that there aren't as many clips on youtube as there would be if it was a more popular brand.

Thanks again!
Pre-congratulations, I really compared a lot of amps and thought hard about it when I bought mine and thought it was the best combo amp of that size. The reverb stopped working on mine though, kind of rough.
Quote by icronic

The cleans are definitely better than the overdrive channel, but the YCV50 in particular is not what I would call thin. Maybe even the opposite. At least mine has plenty of low-end by default, it's incredibly round, thick and full.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.