Page 1 of 3
I'm vaguely aware that Xbox, for example, has the Kinect and there are "games" that are designed to help you exercise.

I'm really considering this as I'm lacking motivation to exercise but at the same time going to the gym is too much of a hassle.

You guys think this is a viable alternative? And what games or consoles specifically has the best exercise thingy?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
If you're going to get one specifically for that, you can either get the Xbox, because the kinect is drastically improved this time and apparently their workout thing is actually a decent workout if you try hard.

Or get a wii, which has wii fit, which is really mostly yoga and stuff.
It's about as viable of an alternative as just jumping around for 45 minutes without paying 500 bucks for a machine that tells you to jump around for 45 minutes.
I have sport champions and sport champions 2 for the ps3 move

Those games worked up a sweat, especially the swordfighting and tabletennis games
ggg1 ggg3

I don't go to the gym and I'm fairly muscular. At home body weight workouts are easy and don't require hundreds of dollars
Get a Wii and Wii Fitness. Cheap as chips now, probably.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by DukeDeRox
I don't go to the gym and I'm fairly muscular. At home body weight workouts are easy and don't require hundreds of dollars

But the thing is I also really don't know what I should be doing or how to do them. I just checked out "Nike +" for Xbox and it seems to be designed for exactly that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
DDR
Video tape yourself week by week and watch your dance moves evolve.
EDIT: I mean Dance Dance Revolution, not to be confused with the RAM type.
Last edited by Skullivan at Nov 18, 2013,
I doubt gaming exercise would really get you anywhere. I mean, it can be a good start I'm sure, and I don't know much about it but I really wouldn't recommend it unless you really have a weight problem
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by Skullivan
DDR
Video tape yourself week by week and watch your dance moves evolve.
EDIT: I mean Dance Dance Revolution, not to be confused with the RAM type.

If only I could get stronger just by installing moar ram...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
If only I could get stronger just by installing moar ram...

Why install RAM when you can download it?
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by captainsnazz
hahahahaa finally a thread where I can legitly shout gaaaaay at you

gaaaaaaay

I will end you.

Quote by zincabopataurio
Try going for a one hour walk everyday

I do that. Not every day because my schedule doesn't allow for it but even if it did it's not enough to be substantial.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i dont care to exercise, but if i did, i'd go wii fit

it's no more effective than just going for a jog or whatever, but the stat tracking and stuff just keeps things interesting, and what with it being sort of a game, there's some actual motivation, wheras just exercising for the sake of it is really boring
Depends what you want to do, if you just want to be fit then eat better, you don't need to go to the gym for that. Ride your bike for 30 minutes every morning and do some pushup's and squats at home.

If you want to build some muscle then a gym is a better environment to do it then trying to play a video game.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
How fat are you?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I'm sorry, but you know you're in a bad place in your life when Chuckles is telling you to just go to the gym. (No offense meant to you Chuckles, but I know you've had anxiety issues in the past about going out in public and stuff.)

Going to the gym really isn't that bad, but if you've convinced yourself its not an option, try this thing called "The Internet". There are thousands of websites dedicated to fitness where you can find different workout plans, and its not hard to find bodyweight-at-home workouts. Seriously, just look it up. The information is out there, you just have to actually look for it. (And don't waste your money on a stupid gaming system for this purpose, because finding a workout program shouldn't cost you a cent.)
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Man, personally I think spending $500 to exercise is pretty stupid. Go out and run, do push ups and sit ups at home. You can buy a pullup bar thatll connect to any door frame for $30. Hell if you don't feel like spending any money go climb some trees. The outside world is full of free exercise opportunities.
Sail upon the open skies
You want to spend $500+ on an xbox because going to the gym is too much effort? Go for a jog or something.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I do that. Not every day because my schedule doesn't allow for it but even if it did it's not enough to be substantial.

Try setting up a regular schedule where you go for a one hour walk (I doubt you're that busy). The whole point mainly is to develop that habit first of getting off your ass before you start to actually exercise (although just walking consistently everyday for an hour can do wonders for those that are overweight or just want to lose weight).

Try signing up for a place that offers pickup *insert any sport you like*, or take up some form of physical activity that you like.
Just go for a run or something
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
if you hate exercise, i recommend just going running. build up to going once every one or two days. if you go at a decent speed without breaks for like 15-20 minutes, that's all you really need. supplement with a few body weight exercises, you're done in half an hour.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It depends on what you want to accomplish. I wouldn't call those fitness games a good workout but they're better than nothing.

For what it's worth I managed to drop a ton of weight over 6 months without the gym. Just doing squats and lunges and burpees and walking more and shit. Equipment helps but is not a requisite.
This looks like exactly what I need. It's guided, tailored, and not overkill like p90x was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoM_MNZ5pzU

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Sometimes I think you just want to spend your money Xiaoxi. Listen to the advice re: going outside/running/pushups etc. There's nothing stopping you.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B
Sometimes I think you just want to spend your money Xiaoxi. Listen to the advice re: going outside/running/pushups etc. There's nothing stopping you.

1. When's the last time any of you climbed a damn tree? Yea that's what I thought.
2. While I do go outside for leisure, during the workdays it's already dark when I come home. Not to mention it's about to get cold as shit.
3. Running/pushups are really monotonous and I can't exactly do either of them for a sustained period of time without losing motivation. They also don't provide that balanced of a work out.
4. I could go on the Internet and search workout regiments or whatever, but there's a billion of them and who knows which one is actually good?
5. I wanna play GTA V
6. lolz

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
^yes join the ug gta 5 crew ugta!
Quote by TunerAddict
Why install RAM when you can download it?

Get that shit out of ug
Last edited by Ssargentslayer at Nov 18, 2013,
Why don't you just get P90X and a pullup bar?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Dregen
just get a chin-up bar, damn.

man fuck all yall I bet you can't even do one pull up and then you come in here gettin all uppity expecting me to do that

Quote by WCPhils
Why don't you just get P90X and a pullup bar?

I mentioned p90x like 3 times ITT already...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
1. When's the last time any of you climbed a damn tree? Yea that's what I thought.
2. While I do go outside for leisure, during the workdays it's already dark when I come home. Not to mention it's about to get cold as shit.
3. Running/pushups are really monotonous and I can't exactly do either of them for a sustained period of time without losing motivation. They also don't provide that balanced of a work out.
4. I could go on the Internet and search workout regiments or whatever, but there's a billion of them and who knows which one is actually good?
5. I wanna play GTA V
6. lolz

1. The other day at a café that had a huge tree with my gf's little brothers. But I was actually referring to walking/running/pushups/pullups
2. You can still do bodyweight exercises indoors for Winter. If you have a break in your job go for a walk/run
3. Pullups and pushups can create an entire upperbody workout. Exercise is not monotonous if you're intrinsically motivated. Extrinsic motivation like the promise of reward or some shitty digital coach shouting predesignated phrases coded by geeks will never replace the intrinsic motivation you get from actually getting results through the hard yards.
4. Exercise thread. The OP has amazing resources.
5. Join the GTA thread - I play on Xbox with Disarm, Sean, Sgt.Killer, AngusFan.
6. Top lello
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Stay classy, pit.
Tbh, it sounds like you aren't really serious about fitness and more just want to play a game. Which is fine. So yeah an Xbox One would probably be your best option for that, but if you actually want to get fit, you should get a gym membership and find 45-60 minutes out of your day 3-4 times a week to go.
Quote by Xiaoxi

I mentioned p90x like 3 times ITT already...

lol, I aint reading all that shit

but here
http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384830817&sr=8-1&keywords=pull+up+bar

I have this and it's pretty great. Also good for pushups
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by TheChaz
Tbh, it sounds like you aren't really serious about fitness and more just want to play a game.

This is very true. I guess I didn't make it clear enough yet. Let me be 100% clear:

I am NOT fully committed to fitness.

And I KNOW that. So to say go get a pullup bar or run everyday is useless to me. I'm not about to just do that.

I'm not exactly fat, but I'm also not where I want to be health wise. So it's not like some life and death thing that I need to work out. My motivation is just plain not that strong on this.

But I am willing to commit provided that it's stupid convenient and I can gradually work up to a decent level, not like p90x which is just way over the top right from the start. I did that about 3 times and never tried again.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Going for a run 3 times a week is stupid convenient and you can work up to a decent level....
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Then why exercise at all? And speaking of exercises, here ya go: www.bodybuilding.com

Everything you ever need to know

And I mean I understand not having the motivation to do pushups and situps and planks and all that shit. It does get boring. But spending a ridiculous amount of money to exercise just sounds loony to me. If you're not motivated to just go out and run or jog, or hell even walk for 20 - 30 minutes, what the hell is a $500 box gonna do for you.

Edit: actually forget everything I just said. Nicko hit the nail on the head
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Nov 18, 2013,
Page 1 of 3