Page 1 of 2
Am I the only one that feels that there is some sort of a connection between me and my own guitar? I know it kinda sounds crazy but sometimes I feel like it isn't just a bunch of wood and metal but something that responds to you in a way that nothing in the world can match.
lay off the weed man, instruments are tools, you can have favourites but it's all down to your playing, the guitar itself doesn't give a shit about you
it's quite literally just a bunch of wood and metal
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I remember my first guitar. An electric black no-name.

I ripped it apart, got halfway through painting it, then lost interest and bought a better guitar.

That thing had action higher than you, anyways. **** it.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

lol instruments? it's almost 2014 you ****ing goober

Quote by Antoniomike7
Am I the only one that feels that there is some sort of a connection between me and my own guitar?

Probably not since I've barely been here half a year and I'm pretty sure I've seen this thread before.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
I'm probably higher than you right now but not really man. I'm a real sentimental sap as well. Obviously there are memories and warm feelings associated with guitars and things that I own but it's not like I feel some cosmic bond between my fender and my soul or some shit like that. If you do that's cool I suppose nothing wrong with it. Some pretty famous musicians have had similar sentiments and feelings I'm sure (although the first that comes to mind is also a terrible racist, so there's that). I think it's pretty apparent that most people who own a guitar or for that manner any instrument for 10+ years would have a lot of memories associated with it and with those some pretty significant emotions. I know that I'd never sell most of my instruments. It's a pretty romantic idea and you are certainly not the first one to have it. Don't mind the abuse you'll likely get from these 'wood and strings I feel nothing but reason' types, don't let some people on the internet regulate what you feel or how you value things.
Quote by MinterMan22

but really

>playing guitar
>2013

i really hope you dont do this
Quote by MinterMan22

+1

maybe next year they'll get it
Thanks for your reply Trashtastic15, honestly, my guitars aren't really expensive at all and my cheapest one is the one I cherish the most, it's a 20 year old squier strat, probably resales for 100 bucks, maybe less, but I would never part with it.

PS: I never did drugs in my life, I just think like that. You might say I'm on a constant natural high.
Quote by willT08
+1

maybe next year they'll get it

Needs a few more years to get the sentimental dinosaurs like me. Circle 2017 on your calender, er, >pen and paper
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Soft synths are still instruments, Christ.
hahahaha

who the fuck uses soft synths anymore?

hello 2008

hahaha
Quote by willT08
hahahaha

who the fuck uses soft synths anymore?

hello 2008

hahaha

>dubstep

>2013

oh my lord
They're very easily replaceable.

There might be some attachment if you build one from scratch though, especially if you paint giant eyeballs and a mouth and name it "cousin felix" or something.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Please explain to me how you're actually making music, are you literally just arranging samples? I'm so confused.

Everyone is

#thinkaboutit

but yeah pretty much
I absolutely feel an attachment to my main guitar. Its just a mid priced Ibanez RG with some upgrades, but its like 20 years old and has been played by me only and played hard. Its got my freaking blood all caked around the pickups and knobs. I couldn't get rid of it if I wanted too. It's a biohazard at this point.

But, it's mine and in this area, where I am somewhat of a local legend, it's instantly recognizable. If I sold it or gave it away it would still be my guitar that someone else is playing. Kind of like if Eddie Van Halen gave his Frankenstein guitar to Slash, it would still be Eddies guitar. Ya feel me, dawg?
I don't care if my guitar doesn't have 'feelings', that doesn't mean I can't have feelings towards it or negate what it means to me or other people.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 19, 2013,
I don't feel much attachment to any of the instruments I have around. I might feel differently by the time I actually get around to buying my own.
I'm with korinaflyingv, 5_Years_Dead and TO0DEEPBLUE, it doesn't mean that the guitar is alive or something, it is just that a piece of wood and strings can make you feel something that no other object in the world can, and you get attached to that feeling, creating a bond with the guitar you spent the most time and best best moments.
I would say the attachment is a mental one, people tend to latch sentiment onto inanimate objects with high meaning, if anything I would say having an attachment to your instrument shows the emotion you feel when playing and anyone who can't understand this plays only the notes on the music rather than feeling them.
I kinda feel my guitars like my girls - yeah I love 'em and stuff and I don't want to replace them, but there are always better ones to be loved more than the present ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I kinda feel my guitars like my girls - yeah I love 'em and stuff and I don't want to replace them, but there are always better ones to be loved more than the present ones.

A guitar is like a woman, you gotta giver her love and fondle her, and from times to times you gotta give her a hard time.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
i have my Lp tattooed on my left underarm and my sg on my right.....so yes
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Quote by shelovemyguitar
A guitar is like a woman, you gotta giver her love and fondle her, and from times to times you gotta give her a hard time.

That was a questionable simile.
Silverburst
I feel attachment simply because it's the one I practice on so I'm used to it's feel and individual quirks. If/When I get a new one and get used to it it'll be the same.
I love my very first guitar (cheap Hohner nylon-string) and my first electric guitar (Schecter Demon).
I bought an Ibanez RG470 with ash body as an upgrade and it can't compare to Demon (that's what I call my Schechter) in terms of tone. As far as playability goes, Ibanez didn't suit my needs. Not to mention I hate Edge Zero II and I still haven't learned to set it up (after two years of owning that guitar).

Despite all its' flaws, I have to say I had hard time letting it go. However, I tried a guitar that seemed right for me (Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy Custom Plus GX) and I just couldn't get it out of my head for the next few days. I decided that day that I'll sell the Ibanez and use that money to buy the Epiphone.

So yeah, I'm very sentimental when it comes to my guitars.
lolrealinstruments

sick wubs m8 yeh
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
After many years of playing and thousands of dollars spent of much better music gear, I still cant bring myself to get rid of my shitty ibanez starter guitar. It's the guitar i learned how to play on, so i guess it has some sentimental value.
I feel you man. Playing guitar is my escape sometimes and I think she realizes that. Kartina and I've been through some times.
Rojam's new and improved band!!!!

Listen a little bit, we DON'T suck!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Please explain to me how you're actually making music, are you literally just arranging samples? I'm so confused.

Haven't you ever listened to dubstep? You record some toilet noises, run them through a filter, and place them on top of someone's music and call it your own when all you just did was (almost literally) shit on their song.

Quote by shelovemyguitar

And you have to remember: she is just a woman and there are plenty of them out there that you could get if you have enough skill or money.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
Haven't you ever listened to dubstep? You record some toilet noises, run them through a filter, and place them on top of someone's music and call it your own when all you just did was (almost literally) shit on their song.

Don't even really need filters. Take your toilet sounds, run them through a vocoder and sit them on top of a sub and you're there. I'm not one for putting all that on top of other people's music because then it all gets a bit much. All you should do is:

1. Bang huge reverbs on any old bloody sound
2. Refer to these as "Atmospheres"
3. Do a little drum beat. If it has bongos in it call your track a "Tribal Roller"
4. big bastard sub
5. vocode toilet noises

and then just make sure you compres the whole thing
Quote by Antoniomike7
Am I the only one that feels that there is some sort of a connection between me and my own guitar? I know it kinda sounds crazy but sometimes I feel like it isn't just a bunch of wood and metal but something that responds to you in a way that nothing in the world can match.

I always feel like people who say things like this are trying to craft some kind of fantasy for themselves, where they become super famous and then people say

"dat antoniomike7, he wasn't like othr gtr players, he always felt like he had a magical connection to his gtrs"

It all seems like cringy BS to me but I may be overly cynical on the matter.

EDIT: Having said all that, I can understand to a certain extent to having a strong connection to a guitar, or any instrument; for many people it's one of the most effective ways they're able to express their feelings and themselves, which would obviously lend a stronger connection to any other material product.
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Nov 19, 2013,
I'm pretty attached to the baby grand piano I got for $100 years ago. Love that thing.

My Schecter too, but I haven't even had it for a year
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Well, yeah, but if someone offered to trade it for a legitimately better guitar, I'd do it (as long as things like neck profile and feel were as good).

It's just that the more I play my guitars, the more I get used to the neck, and the more comfortable they feel. So I bet in 10 years, if the guitar itself is a high quality guitar, it'll be ****ing perfect for me and I'll just be so used to it and in tune with it that I can rip on that shit more than any other.
Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about attachments you had to your instruments? Like, a laser or silencer attached to my violin?
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Page 1 of 2