hey guys
just been asked to play bass for a band after selling my bass rig as i figured i wouldnt need it anymore.
So my plan for this would be to use some stuff i have around the house to make a rig up for now. The main question is will this damage the amp.

Blackstar HT-20 head --> Wharfedale 1 x 15 ---> Built in crossover 150Hz ----> Orange 2x12

i was thinking that with having the built in crossover in it would take away any problem with breaking the guitar speakers.
My main question is will it damage my head?

nobody dies a virgin, life fucks with us all

(\_/)
(o_o)
_(u u)_
this is the bunny,
add this to your signature
to help him rule the world

come to the darkside.......................we have cookies.
Amps are amps. I don't think it matters whether it's a bass or guitar amp. The amp doesn't recognize if you are playing a bass or guitar through it. But it may have a "wrong" kind of EQ (so that guitar amp's bass knob controls the same frequency as low mids on bass amp and guitar amp mids are high mids/highs on a bass amp) and it may not be that well voiced for bass.

But just make sure you are playing through bass speakers. Guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the lows that well, and playing the bass too loud through guitar speakers can damage them.

Yeah, and with the crossover thing, I think you won't damage the speakers because it's the lows that the guitar speakers can't handle.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Would I be right in assuming that the Wharfedale sub is an SW150?

If so, I don't think the setup will work too well. Firstly, how are you going to connect it? Subs have line level inputs and/or speaker level inputs. Line input is fine if you have line level output from the amp. If it's pnly speaker level inputs, you need stereo jack to bare wire to rig it up. Then you have the crossover. Assuming you have a line output from the Wharfedale, it may only output after the crossover, so you lose everything over 150Hz- goodbye to your tone right there. But then again, line level output straight into speakers (your orange cab) probably won't drive them anyway.
The wharfedale is an EVP - X15B which has mono (TS) jacks and Speakon connectors in the back for input and output. The output includes the crossover so the bass bin will just take all the low end away from the orange 2x12.

Its also 20W valve head so it's a lot louder than it says.

(\_/)
(o_o)
_(u u)_
this is the bunny,

Last edited by the_origin at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by the_origin

Its also 20W valve head so it's a lot louder than it says.

it's hybrid (though hybrid in such a way that it's probably more like valve in terms of loudness).

but yeah i mean as ziphoblat implied, bass amps use bazillions of watts even when they are all-tube.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
20 watt tube isn't any louder than it says. It's a fact that bass needs more power, no matter if it's tube or solid state. Also, watt is a watt. Why tube amps are usually louder may depend on the speakers or they may overrate solid state amps or something like that. And also, tube amps sound good at really loud volumes, solid state amps don't. That's why solid sate amps need higher wattage - they need to stay clean at high volumes. And that's why it may feel tube amps are louder - you just can't play that loud with a solid state or it sounds bad.

Also, you want your bass tone to stay clean. 20 watts may be enough to be heard but your tone will be distorted. For guitar it's OK - and many people are after that power amp distortion - but the ideal bass tone is usually pretty clean. You only want bass distortion when you really need it. That's why bass amps are high wattage - the tone stays clean at really loud volumes.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 19, 2013,
yeah

also tube amps (for guitar anyway) are normally rated at their clean output, whereas when they overdrive they put out more wattage, whereas an SS just kinda gives up the ghost.

plus the whole impedance thing- if you're not using the minimum SS impedance you're not getting full power transfer whereas with a valve amp you are as long as the impedances are matched.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks guys used it at a practice and it worked great. could be heard over drums and everything without even turning it up half way

(\_/)
(o_o)
_(u u)_
this is the bunny,