Hi all. Looking at buying my next acoustic guitar. Im currently borderline intermediate and looking at spending £300-350 (400 at a massive push)
I play fingerstyle and some blues. I am wanting electrics built in but it is not a necessary just yet. I would prefer solid wood but im aware my budget will not accommodate an all solid guitar.
The ibanez I hear has great reviews as does the walden.
I have done alot of research into other guitars in the area but due to my location im unable to get into a great guitar shop to try them both out as they just dont stock them. Which leads onto my question, does anybody have any experience with either of these guitars and can anybody with more experience suggest some other guitars suitable?
Thank you
Ash
does the walden have a wider nut than the ibanez? 'cause as a fingerstyle player, you might want a guitar with the wider nut. i'm a fingerstyle player, and after years of buying guitars with 1 11/16" nuts do to their wider availability, i finally stopped buying 'em and only buy guitars with nuts 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" wide.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Ah yeah it does have 1 11/16.
I don't think I have ever played a guitar with a wider nut than 1 11/16, is the difference very noticeable?
Thank you for the reply!
for years i played 1 11/16" nut guitars, but it was only when i tried those with wider nuts that i began to really enjoy playing. funny thing, as i'm only 5'3" with small hands, but that tiny bit of extra space made my playing a job. others feel differently, but mostly fingerstyle players i know prefer at least 1 3/4".
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I agree with Patti. I got a guitar for fingerstyle with a 1 3/4" nut and I found the wider nut and wider string spacing a lot less frustrating.

Of the guitars you are thinking of, the Walden is a Grand Auditorium and the Ibanez is a Dread , so the Walden is a bit smaller. In general dreads tend to project more bass and the GA's seem to give a more balanced tone overall. (this obviously varies from guitar to guitar).

You should try to look/play as many guitars as you can, but I know its not always possible. Other guitars to look at for fingerstyle are Seagull, the Yamaha L series, or Sigma OM. these all have wider nuts and should be in your price range(converting pounds into dollars).

Have fun looking