Guitars sound massive and way up front. The drum sound is the weak spot. They are buried under a mountain of guitars and bass. I would be pulling everything down but the drums and re-balancing the mix volume wise first. when you have a good balance it will give you more of an idea what to cut eq wise to make everything else fit sonically.
Quote by SHaun Steel
Guitars sound massive and way up front. The drum sound is the weak spot. They are buried under a mountain of guitars and bass. I would be pulling everything down but the drums and re-balancing the mix volume wise first. when you have a good balance it will give you more of an idea what to cut eq wise to make everything else fit sonically.

I think he said it perfectly. Once I started trying to do my own mixes I noticed that the drums in songs are typically the loudest, next to vocals. Since they're more spaced out it's just not noticed as much. The drums are also very thin sounding, no boom or anything, just weak in general. What VST did you use for the drums? That could make a difference but it sounds more to me like it got the life EQd out of it. The guitars sound PRETTY good, not perfect. The bass is hella muddy though. I'd try and cut some low end on the guitar and maybe even a bit of the higher low end on the bass. One trick I learned as well is EQ the low end of the drums, but add a peak for the kick drum.
Quote by From Your Grave
I think he said it perfectly. Once I started trying to do my own mixes I noticed that the drums in songs are typically the loudest, next to vocals. Since they're more spaced out it's just not noticed as much. The drums are also very thin sounding, no boom or anything, just weak in general. What VST did you use for the drums? That could make a difference but it sounds more to me like it got the life EQd out of it. The guitars sound PRETTY good, not perfect. The bass is hella muddy though. I'd try and cut some low end on the guitar and maybe even a bit of the higher low end on the bass. One trick I learned as well is EQ the low end of the drums, but add a peak for the kick drum.

Thanks! I use EZdrummer with the Metalheads EZX! I used EQs found on the internet as it's my first time mixing! What would you suggest for the bass? I didn't do any EQ or anything on it, just direct in. We also quickly did an EZMix on top of all.
Last edited by Omega Cluster at Nov 22, 2013,
Just to point something out aside from plugins, I would work on the overall fluidity of the drums. Watch drum covers of your favorite songs on youtube to help expand your knowledge of how/where certain parts are actually played on a drum set. A tight rhythm section will do wonders in the perception of professionalism. But overall the sound songs good dude, keep it up!