...someone who hasn't ever heard and been influenced by any music, learned to play an instrument? If he tried to compose, would we get something truly unique and awesome, or would be just get scales that he memorized when he learned to play the instrument(yes, he knows theory aswell)? How would it differ with different instruments?

Yes, totally pointless question, just for fun.
I'm having a hard time imagining a hypothetical situation in which somebody learns a fair amount of theory without hearing or being influenced by the other music. I would say though that we wouldn't hear anything completely unique and mind blowing, but we could see some interesting things happen from this person never becoming familiar with the arrangement patterns or techniques of particular genres. He could theoretically never discover such conventions as putting root notes in a low register, chords in a mid register, then melodies in a high register. He might never gather our traditional ideas of what types of instruments work well together. That kind of thing. I would say though that there are some (not many bands) that do such a good job at avoiding traditional writing conventions that they may as well have never heard any music before.
it most likely wouldn't be awesome to us because music as we know it is so pervasive. sometimes i think that modern art music sounds like it could have been the product of your hypothetical, and not many people like that stuff.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Interesting question. I remember when I wrote some songs when I was 7. And I actually wrote my first riff when I was 10 and I didn't even listen to any music back then (I mean, I heard music but I didn't actively listen to it). But they were really simple songs using like five notes. I think the songs you could write would be based on the pentatonic scale. That's the most "natural" scale there is. Lots of old folk songs use the pentatonic scale. And back then they didn't have radios and they didn't go to concerts or anything like that - they had to write their own songs. So maybe it would sound like old folk songs. Or maybe like some simple children's songs like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or something like that. Nothing too complex. I mean, if you look at how music developed, dissonance wasn't used that much first. The newer the music, the more dissonance it uses (for example today you have atonal stuff). If jazz was played in the 16th century, I'm pretty sure people wouldn't have liked it. People weren't familiar with extended chords and stuff like that back then.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
it'd probably sound like fallout boy
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The result is surprisingly unexciting, at least in the cases that I've heard it.
There's a general consensus that we naturally gravitate towards pentatonic intervals, based on how prevalent they are across many cultures, that' they're somehow hardwired into our brain. That being the case the person in question might ultimately end up creating something that centres around those intervals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne6tB2KiZuk
It's an interesting question, sadly until someone dumps a baby on a deserted island with nothing but a strat and a pignose for company I doubt we'll ever truly know the answer. It's impossible to not be influenced by music, simply because we're constantly exposed to it on a daily basis from birth...even if you never actively listen to "music music" there's nursery rhymes, hymns, tv themes, christmas carols, doorbells, advertising jingles. All those things are going to influence someone's perception of what music should be and what sounds are supposed to come out of an instrument.

Even outside of western culture there's things that will have an influence, birds, animals, the sound of the wind and the sea, the sounds your parents make at you when you're a baby.

That being the case it's impossible for someone to approach a musical instrument as a "blank slate", but it certainly would be fascinating to see the results of such a situation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com