Page 1 of 3
Hey guys.

Just a little note on something. If you, like me, suffer from SAD now that days are getting shorter and darker and wanna kill yourself with a rusty knife, try taking Vitamin D supplements.

My suicidal tendencies have decreased by 80% since taking them.

Give it a go. I went to a homeopath in Germany, she told me about it, and I feel waaaay better.

Thought I might as well pass it on.
Quote by WhiteStripesIII
I get bad SAD some years. Vitamin D and getting up earlier and being outside as much as possible definitely helps.

Hey, look at that, we live on the same depressing island.
Quote by Philip_pepper
I went to a homeopath
Why would you ever do that? I'm surprised he/she gave you actual medical advise. You got lucky this time.
People seriously kill themselves because it gets cold some parts of the year?
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Here in Phoenix, Arizona, we have 300 days of Sunshine. There are only two seasons here. Summer, and SummerLite.
Quote by WCPhils
People seriously kill themselves because it gets cold some parts of the year?

I dunno if some people go as far as that, but towards the end of fall and during winter I always find myself in more darker/angrier moods. Its harder for me to get up early like I usually do, and I could literally spend my entire day in my bed sleeping. Like I would only get up to use the restroom. Which sucks cuz at the same time this is my favorite time of the year.
Sail upon the open skies
Go outside for ten minutes during the day. Doesn't even need to be sunny. Problem solved.
Quote by Wormholes
Go outside for ten minutes during the day. Doesn't even need to be sunny. Problem solved.

This. A good breath of fresh air always makes me feel better. I feel like always being in front of a computer is making us all more depressed as a society.
Amp:
Vox AC30
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster, Fender Jaguar
Keyboards:
Roland Juno 106, Nord Lead 2X, Yamaha DX7
Drums:
Roland TR-707
Quote by Wormholes

shit advice for when its 0 degrees out m8
Quote by angusfan16
I dunno if some people go as far as that, but towards the end of fall and during winter I always find myself in more darker/angrier moods. Its harder for me to get up early like I usually do, and I could literally spend my entire day in my bed sleeping. Like I would only get up to use the restroom. Which sucks cuz at the same time this is my favorite time of the year.

Maybe it's a type of hibernation because you can't really do much in the cold, or your body doesn't like the cold, so your body goes into a slower state. I find myself more tired in the winter/colder months too. Could also be because it's darker more often (depending on where you are).
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

But vitamin D would put more D in SAD

Unless you want the D? In which case I'm not gonna judge.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by seanlang01
Why would you ever do that? I'm surprised he/she gave you actual medical advise. You got lucky this time.

Believe it or not, homeopathy is a big deal in Europe, minus Britain. English speaking countries seem to be very much against homeopathy.
Normally I love winter and snow and all that, but this year I'm really resenting the weather getting colder.

I would blame it on my weird work schedule making me stay inside for all but about 20 minutes of daylight, but I'm a ginger and I prefer nighttime anyway.
The winter actually makes me particularly happy. I always feel nostalgic.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
The winter actually makes me particularly happy. I always feel nostalgic.

yea, this is how I am
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Mr E Meat
shit advice for when its 0 degrees out m8

Get a jacket, a pair of gloves and stop being a pus m8
Quote by Wormholes
Get a jacket, a pair of gloves and stop being a pus m8

My problem is that I don't know where to go. There's nothing around my neighbourhood that is worth walking to. Unless I go to Glasgow. And that's Glasgow.
I say this all the time, but anybody who claims they like winter/cold weather is a liar.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Believe it or not, homeopathy is a big deal in Europe, minus Britain. English speaking countries seem to be very much against homeopathy.

Quote by naedauuf
Maybe it's a type of hibernation because you can't really do much in the cold, or your body doesn't like the cold, so your body goes into a slower state. I find myself more tired in the winter/colder months too. Could also be because it's darker more often (depending on where you are).

That's what I was thinking. Cause literally, no matter where I am, I want to sleep. At home, at work, out with friends, even at the gym sometimes. Some days are worst than others, and some days no problem at all. But I can tell immediately when I wake up If I'm just gonna wanna sleep all day or not. Weather is a strange thing haha
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
That's what I was thinking. Cause literally, no matter where I am, I want to sleep. At home, at work, out with friends, even at the gym sometimes. Some days are worst than others, and some days no problem at all. But I can tell immediately when I wake up If I'm just gonna wanna sleep all day or not. Weather is a strange thing haha

Agreed. My grades have slipped at college quite a bit because lately I`ve just been too tired to get up. I never had this problem earlier this year. Lately, on weekends I just sleep until around 2 pm and am in a daze for the rest of the day. It seems like in winter, going out with friends is just a chore, but maybe that`s just me
Amp:
Vox AC30
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster, Fender Jaguar
Keyboards:
Roland Juno 106, Nord Lead 2X, Yamaha DX7
Drums:
Roland TR-707
Quote by The Spoon
Here in Phoenix, Arizona, we have 300 days of Sunshine. There are only two seasons here. Summer, and SummerLite.

it gets cold as fuck you punk ass
Quote by Sleaze Disease
I say this all the time, but anybody who claims they like winter/cold weather is a liar.

nah, it's pretty sweet
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by Philip_pepper
My problem is that I don't know where to go. There's nothing around my neighbourhood that is worth walking to. Unless I go to Glasgow. And that's Glasgow.

Go somewhere you haven't been before.
Try not get lost, but don't try too hard.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by WCPhils
nah, it's pretty sweet

I love the winter for two reasons

1) Don't have to make an excuse to stay inside. Too cold!

2) Hot chocolate + cuddles with my woman + movie = the best time. Too god damn hot for that shit in the summer.

EDIT: Actually 3 reasons. 3) Going to the gym is so, so, SO much better when it's cold out. You sweat so much less.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Last edited by naedauuf at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by Lost Dog
Agreed. My grades have slipped at college quite a bit because lately I`ve just been too tired to get up. I never had this problem earlier this year. Lately, on weekends I just sleep until around 2 pm and am in a daze for the rest of the day. It seems like in winter, going out with friends is just a chore, but maybe that`s just me

I noticed a big difference this year.

September this year was still surprisingly sunny and I felt full of energy when uni started. It was a "the world sucks but I'm gonna tackle it mercilessly" kind of mood. First two weeks I felt like I could take on the world. Then suddenly it got much colder, much darker quickly, and I felt a major slump in energy and mood. Light depression. There's no point to anything.

Now I'm much better.
Quote by Philip_pepper

Except for a few tax-funded fully homeopathic "hospitals".
Quote by Philip_pepper

I'm not against people who use homeopathy as a medicine, but it pains me for them to not know that it's a scam.
Quote by Philip_pepper

Give it a go. I went to a homeopath in Germany, she told me about it, and I feel waaaay better.

How does homeopathy even work on you if you know that it's bullshit? I'm not saying that the placebo effect doesn't have it's place in psychological therapy, other forms of therapy that use the effect (counseling, hypnotherapy, hell, even nicotine gum) do at least state that they require willpower to work. But instead homeopaths explicitly deceive people into thinking they 'work' by action of the medicine itself. It's an outright unethical use of the placebo effect.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 19, 2013,
Homeopathy is a disgusting "practice".

Also, 0 degrees is nothing, you pansy. It's -25 where I'm at already, and I still walk around.
Quote by soundgarden1986
Screw your bases. If she doesn't let me go elbow deep in her ass on the first date, it wasn't meant to be.

Quote by willT08
Every thread on here to do with audio quality is like walking into a paddock of shit slinging chimps
Quote by Philip_pepper
Hey guys.

Just a little note on something. If you, like me, suffer from SAD now that days are getting shorter and darker and wanna kill yourself with a rusty knife, try taking Vitamin D supplements.

My suicidal tendencies have decreased by 80% since taking them.

Thought I might as well pass it on.

Thanks for posting this.

I am trying this this year after a really really rough winter last year. I've suffered with SAD for years but last year was something else.

Can you elaborate on what dose you took, for how long etc?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Thanks for posting this.

I am trying this this year after a really really rough winter last year. I've suffered with SAD for years but last year was something else.

Can you elaborate on what dose you took, for how long etc?

It's called Vitamind D3-Hevert. Active Ingredient is Colecalciferol 25 Micrograms. I take 4 tablets a day.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I'm not against people who use homeopathy as a medicine, but it pains me for them to not know that it's a scam.

How does homeopathy even work on you if you know that it's bullshit? I'm not saying that the placebo effect doesn't have it's place in psychological therapy, other forms of therapy that use the effect (counseling, hypnotherapy, hell, even nicotine gum) do at least state that they require willpower to work. But instead homeopaths explicitly deceive people into thinking they 'work' by action of the medicine itself. It's an outright unethical use of the placebo effect.

I don't think it's bullshit, but I don't see it as magic. I see it as a "Meh, give it a shot, see what happens" thing.

My mom went to a homeopath in Germany because of the aftereffects she got from her Chemo. She's got peripheral neuropathy, that basically means that her fingers and feet have become numb. It's quite common in diabetes sufferers, but the drugs that they use do not work on chemo-induced neuropathy. Every single doctor that my mom has talked to in Scotland has been completely dumbfound about it. They can't explain it at all. We read up on the internet about it and people have been taking vitamin B-12, alpha-lipoic acid, and a whole bunch of other stuff for it. My mom has been doing that as well now, to no avail.

The homeopath explained it much better than anyone else. She explained that the nerves in her fingers and feet have been damaged by the platinum contained in the chemo drugs and that it's impossible to regenerate the nerves if the platinum and other heavy metals are still present. That made more sense than anything any other doctor said about her problem.

Therefore, she's gonna start a detox to remove all these metals from her body and then start the regeneration of her nerves.

Like I said, I'm neutral on the homeopathy debate. My mom and I have tried many different things to make her neuropathy go away and nothing has helped, it's been like taking shots in the dark. Even if it sounds like witchcraft, at this point, I don't give a damn, I hope that it works, if it doesn't: oh well, at least we tried. If it does work, I'll kiss that homeopath's feet each day.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Nov 19, 2013,
Quote by Philip_pepper
It's called Vitamind D3-Hevert. Active Ingredient is Colecalciferol 25 Micrograms. I take 4 tablets a day.

Is this an over the counter thing or did you get it on prescription?

I am taking a multivitamin containing vitamin D but a quite low dose I think. I will have to wait a bit longer to see if it's worked I think...

By the way, rest of this thread, seasonal depression is a real thing, not just "hurr winter makes me sad". It's a condition where your ability to produce serotonin is linked to the amount of natural light you get. Vitamin d can emulate this.
Well given that the proximate cause of SAD is vitamin D deficiency this isn't a very surprising revelation.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Well given that the proximate cause of SAD is vitamin D deficiency this isn't a very surprising revelation.

Then why does the NHS prescribe SSRIs and light therapy instead of Vitamin D supplements?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Then why does the NHS prescribe SSRIs and light therapy instead of Vitamin D supplements?

I said proximate cause. It's thought that Winter depression has multiple contributing factors, a lack of sunlight affecting the circadian rhythm, a lack of vitamin D reducing serotonin as you said. Depending on the main contributing factor different things will work better. SSRIs seems a bit extreme. I mean, it'll cure the symptoms but I can't imagine it actually addresses any of the real causes.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Is this an over the counter thing or did you get it on prescription?

I am taking a multivitamin containing vitamin D but a quite low dose I think. I will have to wait a bit longer to see if it's worked I think...

By the way, rest of this thread, seasonal depression is a real thing, not just "hurr winter makes me sad". It's a condition where your ability to produce serotonin is linked to the amount of natural light you get. Vitamin d can emulate this.

We got it prescribed, but you should be able to buy some OTC as long as you get 100 mg of it.
Page 1 of 3