Hi. I have a question about Duff Mckagans Les Paul Bass that he played in the Estranged Music Video. Did he actually use this bass for the studio recording or was it just an endorsement from Gibson for that video only? I know that he used a Kramer Bass in the Sweet Child O' Mine Music Video (Video only though. He used his Fender for the studio recording). He always used his Fender when they did it live.
A Les Paul bass doesn't sound like that at all.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Prob just one of the basses he owns.
I think he always use fenders on recordings (don't quote me on that though)
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
He used the Les paul bass live too.

http://youtu.be/pUGPmOpkQdY?t=1m8s
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
He may have used it in the studio, though on what tracks, who knows? McKagan, like many successful musicians, owns and plays a number of different instruments - guitars and basses. He had a signature model with Fender for a while (they may still make it; I haven't looked at Fender's lineup in a while); a "Jazz Special" that was a Precision bass body with a Jazz bass neck, P&J pickups, and the neck and headstock were painted gloss black. Since he has been seen and photographed playing any number of different basses in the last 10 years, I suspect that his contract with Fender has expired.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
He may have used it in the studio, though on what tracks, who knows? McKagan, like many successful musicians, owns and plays a number of different instruments - guitars and basses. He had a signature model with Fender for a while (they may still make it; I haven't looked at Fender's lineup in a while); a "Jazz Special" that was a Precision bass body with a Jazz bass neck, P&J pickups, and the neck and headstock were painted gloss black. Since he has been seen and photographed playing any number of different basses in the last 10 years, I suspect that his contract with Fender has expired.

Contract???
Quote by devinp17
Contract???

Instrument companies that make a signature instrument for an artist will have that artist sign a contract. It usually stipulates that he or she shall not play in public or be photographed with any other instrument, and that he or she shall not endorse any other instrument or instrument maker until such time as the contract expires. In exchange, the maker will manufacture and sell the signature instrument, and will provide a predetermined number of those instruments per year at no cost to the artist. The artist also gets a royalty payment for each one sold. It is all very standard industry practice.
His contract would look a lot different to most. As would say, Rob Trujillo. Those guys are big ***ugh that they can negotiate for whatever they want, Duff in particular as a reputation for having a very good business brain.
Josh Homme is another good example, he has his signature Maton/s, do you want to try and tell him he can't play any other instruments? I wouldn't.
Those "you can only play and be photographed with" are for the small-medium tier guys.
The larger acts contracts would be more about promotional videos, youtube, ads and interviews in music/guitar/bass magazines.

EDIT: Apparently eno is a swear word now.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by consecutive e
His contract would look a lot different to most. As would say, Rob Trujillo. Those guys are big ***ugh that they can negotiate for whatever they want, Duff in particular as a reputation for having a very good business brain.
Josh Homme is another good example, he has his signature Maton/s, do you want to try and tell him he can't play any other instruments? I wouldn't.
Those "you can only play and be photographed with" are for the small-medium tier guys.
The larger acts contracts would be more about promotional videos, youtube, ads and interviews in music/guitar/bass magazines.

EDIT: Apparently eno is a swear word now.

yeah I was trying to figure out what was bleeped out there and why.

Also keep in mind that artists (especially big ones) can have a signature model and not be bound solely to said company by an exclusive endorsement deal if it's a lucrative enough venture. Rob Trujillo is a good example, he's got lots of basses to play on stage and signature models with both Zon and Warwick (and I'm pretty sure he's currently only affiliated with Warwick, but Zon still keeps his sig on their model list).
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by FatalGear41
Instrument companies that make a signature instrument for an artist will have that artist sign a contract. It usually stipulates that he or she shall not play in public or be photographed with any other instrument, and that he or she shall not endorse any other instrument or instrument maker until such time as the contract expires. In exchange, the maker will manufacture and sell the signature instrument, and will provide a predetermined number of those instruments per year at no cost to the artist. The artist also gets a royalty payment for each one sold. It is all very standard industry practice.

I agree with "consecutive e" actually. He played a lot of non-Fender basses even in the early days of GN'R, and right on through to the mid 90's (and right through to today). His contract would be different than others. Unless his contract only lasted a month or two.
Quote by devinp17
I agree with "consecutive e" actually. He played a lot of non-Fender basses even in the early days of GN'R, and right on through to the mid 90's (and right through to today). His contract would be different than others. Unless his contract only lasted a month or two.

McKagan's contract with Fender for his signature bass may have given him more leeway; if for no other reason than that there was nothing "signature" about it. It was simply a bone-stock Fender Jazz Special (MIJ), There was nothing unusual about it, so it was not a case of having to gear up for something new. Of course, McKagan's personal signature Jazz Specials were made for him in the Fender Custom Shop (a few have turned up recently on the used market), but he was and still is quite fond of his original Jazz Special.
Quote by FatalGear41
McKagan's contract with Fender for his signature bass may have given him more leeway; if for no other reason than that there was nothing "signature" about it. It was simply a bone-stock Fender Jazz Special (MIJ), There was nothing unusual about it, so it was not a case of having to gear up for something new. Of course, McKagan's personal signature Jazz Specials were made for him in the Fender Custom Shop (a few have turned up recently on the used market), but he was and still is quite fond of his original Jazz Special.

Also, I don't think he had a contract with Fender until 2007. Because that was the year that Fender replicated and released his original Jazz Bass Special as the "Duff McKagan Signature P Bass", as a result of him making this said original '86 Jazz Bass Special famous. He only played his original Jazz Bass Special because he loved the sound and feel etc., not because of an endorsement or contract. Although I believe the Les Paul bass (Estranged Video) and Kramer Bass (Sweet Child O' Mine Video) were only just endorsements from Gibson and Kramer for the videos only.