Kind of a mystery of a title but it makes sense. I like to switch between Drop D and B depending on what I'm playing. This is the 4th time now that my high E string has broken while tuning DOWN to C# from e. The one that just broke is like a week old. It almost always breaks somewhere near the tuning post (if that means anything). What causes this?
Dont do that it messes with the tension

If you want to play both tunings get another guitar set it up to handle B and get a set of strings with a bigger gauge
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Nov 19, 2013,
Ok. I have another guitar (the one I was playing on) but I didnt want to get my good one out to play drop D. Looks like I have to haha
Its better for your guitars that way, but its not uncommon for a beginner to switch between tunings like that I didbut now iI know better
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Also check that you aren't bending the string at or near the post while stringing your guitar. A kink in the string will weaken the string at that point.
You might not have enough wraps around the post. So as you loosen the string you stress the kink created where the string bends to enter the post, which breaks it.
Is it bad to switch from Drop D to Drop C often?
They say when you talk to God it's prayer, but when God talks to you it's schizophrenia.
It's not bad to switch from drop D to C if you use normal strings, but if your strings are thick (.11+) you'll have a higher risk of breaking a string or slightly warping the neck when you're tuning up to drop D since you'll be raising the tension up quite a bit.

To be on the safer side, you should tune from drop D to drop C# first, and then down to drop C, instead of tuning each string down a full tone immediately.
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Dont do that it messes with the tension

If you want to play both tunings get another guitar set it up to handle B and get a set of strings with a bigger gauge

+3.1415

if your second guitar isn't being used in the same tuning, drop tune one and keep the other in E std/Drop D

changing tuning that far is not good for your guitar. to the point of eventual damage.

i don't even see how you could play in both. you would have tight or really floppy strings.

i have all my guitars in Estd/Drop D, but two in C#/drop B, those guitars have been in C# for years and have properly set up for that tuning.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Get another guitar to use so you don't destroy your neck on your main one.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
dont rule out the possibility of any burrs at the post or the bridge. i see it all the time in repairs when the players whine "my string keeps breaking"
Quote by ScalaMania
dont rule out the possibility of any burrs at the post or the bridge. i see it all the time in repairs when the players whine "my string keeps breaking"

that is always good too.

is it by the tuner or by the nut? if you want to dump a little money look into graphtech or better find a GOOD tech, and have him cut a custom bone nut.

if its the tuners having a burr very possible, and if you go up and down so much, that is just stressing the string, potentially over a burr, and thats a factor too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Is the string breaking at the tuner or at the saddle?

I change tunings all the time. Changing once or twice a day shouldn't snap your string immediately. It definitely sounds like you've got a rough edge on your saddle, or you're not wrapping your string around the tree properly.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Don't know if it's been considered but if you're going down in tension you want to work from the thinnest string down. If you start with the thickest string by the time you get to the thinnest it's holding all that additional tension and.. Snap.
All of you saying there might be a kink in the string: there was. Dr's Drop tuning strings say to bend the string with pliers where it goes into the post before you wrap it up to prevent dead strings. Needless to say I wont be doing it again. Also to prevent this I'm just gonna leave each one tuned in each tuning as suggested. How much adjustment would I be safe with though? A half step in each direction seems like it wouldnt have much of an effect on anything.
Quote by 6string_ninja
All of you saying there might be a kink in the string: there was. Dr's Drop tuning strings say to bend the string with pliers where it goes into the post before you wrap it up to prevent dead strings. Needless to say I wont be doing it again. Also to prevent this I'm just gonna leave each one tuned in each tuning as suggested. How much adjustment would I be safe with though? A half step in each direction seems like it wouldnt have much of an effect on anything.

yes kinks break.

why the hell do you need pliers? to cut the excessive off if they have the cutter on the back i understand, but you shouldn't need a pliers for anything else.

leave it in each tuning as in for example E or Drop D (that doesn't matter at all). you could go down to D std if you wanted and be fine, but any lower that that the strings get too flappy (for me anyways).

keep one around E.

keep the other around B. and you shouldn't have an issue.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
yes kinks break.

why the hell do you need pliers? to cut the excessive off if they have the cutter on the back i understand, but you shouldn't need a pliers for anything else.

leave it in each tuning as in for example E or Drop D (that doesn't matter at all). you could go down to D std if you wanted and be fine, but any lower that that the strings get too flappy (for me anyways).

keep one around E.

keep the other around B. and you shouldn't have an issue.

The pliers are for making a new anchor point on the wound strings if you need to trim off the factory made one. I guess crimping the winding to the core helps the strings last longer.