Hi guys, I play lead guitar in one of my bands, and I need to know a good pedal that can give me a nice boost for solos. I use a Fender Mustang I I amp (if gear isn't provided), and I'll use the distortion sound on it.

I don't necessarily care if it'll reduce the sound quality, because I'll only use it for soloing.

Thanks guys.
Soloing is when you don't need good quality? Hey what now? That's when you need it the most.

Anyway, MXR 10 band EQ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No guarantee, by the way, that you'll actually get more volume from any pedal. You *may* have already maxed out the volume available from your amp.

That said, be sure to reduce the bass on your amp -- that sucks the most power.
Most pedals are just going to add noise and possibly gain to your sound, not really volume. Get a footswitch for it and work something out with that.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Cathbard
Soloing is when you don't need good quality? Hey what now? That's when you need it the most.

Anyway, MXR 10 band EQ.

i think cath and i said the same thing in another thread. EQ. MXR 10 band, everybody should own one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dspellman
No guarantee, by the way, that you'll actually get more volume from any pedal. You *may* have already maxed out the volume available from your amp.

That said, be sure to reduce the bass on your amp -- that sucks the most power.

My amp is never maxed when I play indoor gigs, I'll usually keep it on 6 or so. We have two guitars (which I'll naturally be a little louder), and whenever I go into a solo, I want a larger volume boost so even the lower notes are audible.

I'm going to go ahead and say that I don't know a thing about pedals (other than that an overdrive pedal when I had a tube)
My amp comes with really good built in distortion and clean tones, so would that MRX 10 band EQ just make the tones even better? Thanks

Oh yeah, last night during one of my harder solos, our bassist had to turn me up really quickly since we didn't have a sound guy at this performance. It looked really tacky so hopefully I can find something soon!
Last edited by ploxxies at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by ploxxies

My amp comes with really good built in distortion and clean tones, so would that MRX 10 band EQ just make the tones even better? Thanks

It all comes down to how well you can dial in an EQ. If you can't make it sound better then it's operator error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It all comes down to how well you can dial in an EQ. If you can't make it sound better then it's operator error.

Okay, so it's designed to give you better tones, not to give effects, right?
It's a graphic equaliser, it's just a comprehensive tone control. The MXR 10 band is a good choice because it has an overall volume control so once you've dialed in your curve you don't have to alter it to change the boost level.
A cheaper alternative if you want to experiment is the Danelectro Fish & Chips. Not as many bands (but sufficient) and it has a master volume too. It's a nice quiet pedal that works well but is not built as well as the MXR.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 20, 2013,
the Xotic EP booster is a nice clean boost. if you want just volume, try a clean boost in the loop. works well.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
EQ is far more important than volume for getting your solos heard. Have your rhythm guitarist lose some mids, then get a pedal that can boost your mid range like an EQ or a tubescreamer style overdrive. You don't need more volume if you can occupy a frequency which has no other instruments in. The 'best' way would probably be a graphic eq on both guitars, so rhythm still gets some presence in the lower mids for riffs but is out of your way for solos, you can also use them to take both guitars out of the way of the singer if you find them not cutting through the mix.
Dude, where's my band?