What is the best mic i can find in thoman for amp recording, metal and clean, for under 100€. I found some nice tbones, but which one?
Save the extra 10 and get an SM57. There is absolutely no point getting a t bone for a 9e difference when it's that closely priced. This mic is used throughout the professional world right to the top, it will last you your entire recording career!
Yeah, SM57 indeed.

If you need to record some vocals too, get an SM58 instead maybe.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by tim_mop
Save the extra 10 and get an SM57. There is absolutely no point getting a t bone for a 9e difference when it's that closely priced. This mic is used throughout the professional world right to the top, it will last you your entire recording career!

Aren't the t.bones similar to shure mics?
Quote by guitarpro2play
Aren't the t.bones similar to shure mics?

Yes, in the same way that Behringer effects are similar to Boss effects.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Yes, in the same way that Behringer effects are similar to Boss effects.

I get it. So.. Searching for a shure
SM57 or SM58 for sure.

I remember a post on here a while ago about someone comparing an SM58 to a mic he picked up in Radioshack for $30. The Radioshack mic sounded pretty damn close to the real SM58 - so close that it was hard to tell the difference. I wish I could remember what mic that was.... If you can find it, I'd go with that.

The SM57 and SM58 are pretty much the exact same mics, the only difference is that one has a windscreen (SM58) and the other doesn't. The windscreen does change the sound a tiny bit.

Edit: Found a video. I think this might be it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwXsbWq5fs
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Nov 20, 2013,
get 2 used 57´s.....one on and one off axis......and your getting there. as I´ve stated earlier...there is no use in buying new...they´re built like frikin tanks
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Rather than a SM57, I use an Audix i5 for live cab/combo micing - because I think the natural sound of the mic has more character and body than that of the SM57 - and in the UK they're commonly sold at exactly the same price. This is for live use though - in a recording scenario there is basically no difference seeing as they are both almost identical in capsule and specs, the only variation would be the EQ curve which can be altered easily.
Quote by ab ovo
Rather than a SM57, I use an Audix i5 for live cab/combo micing - because I think the natural sound of the mic has more character and body than that of the SM57 - and in the UK they're commonly sold at exactly the same price. This is for live use though - in a recording scenario there is basically no difference seeing as they are both almost identical in capsule and specs, the only variation would be the EQ curve which can be altered easily.

I did a shoot out between the Sm57 and i5 once. The low end of an i5 kinda sounded like a rubber boot (like 120 cycles and below). But then for the rest of the response it was pretty darn similar to the 57. Checked on blue cats (freeware, btw) analyzer and they looked almost identical.

I didn't take physical notes but if my memory serves me the i5 was a wee bit more sensitive.