Well, I finally got another job. Unfortunately, it's very fast paced and customer oriented, like pretty much all entry-level jobs, and it's giving me a hard time. It stresses me out just thinking about going back to work, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anyway, I'm trying to look into getting rid of anxiety at my job. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this?

I already exercise regularly, but I was thinking about meditation and herbal teas maybe.

The way my job functions, I get a 35 minute break, and a 15 minute break, and the remaining 6-8 hours is almost literally non-stop dealing with customers, so I don't really have any time to find a quiet place and take 10 minute meditation breaks every few hours or so. But maybe I could do some breathing exercises in-between waves of customers?

Also, I'm thinking about drinking some chamomile or lavender tea before work possibly. I'm not sure if that will do much but I'll see what happens. Maybe there are other kinds I can try?

And if all else fails, I was thinking about getting some Valerian root or passionflower for those extremely hectic days (the holidays, which are coming up) to take the edge off. Anyone take any of these?

Or, you know, I could just wank behind the counter or something.

Any advice guys?
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
A reasonable amount of stress is a good thing and will make you perform better. No stress = apathy. Modern society obessess over stress relief and the pursuit of happiness but the truth is there's moments in life we won'tenjoy, that will be hectic and makes us want to pull our hair out. But that's alright, were only human. We need these emotions to make the moments of joy really shine
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
man no experience with anxiety while working sorry :/

Maybe ask if you're allowed to do something while you're not dealing with customers?
like draw or juggle idk
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Meditation is good. Also you'll probably get used to your job after a while so don't worry about it too much right now
cat
anxiety sharpens your mind (when it's not clouding it from you freaking the **** out). as wiegenlied says, it's not a bad thing to be worried about your new job. but once you settle in and learn the ropes, you'll be fine.
Quote by guitarxo
Meditation is good. Also you'll probably get used to your job after a while so don't worry about it too much right now

Thanks , I hope so. My friends say they were a little stressed when starting out, but they're naturally outgoing and high-energy, whereas I'm more reserved and calm, so the transition might be a little tougher for me.

Quote by Obsceneairwaves
man no experience with anxiety while working sorry :/

Maybe ask if you're allowed to do something while you're not dealing with customers?
like draw or juggle idk

Wish I could, but it's always busy as shit. Maybe I could do something on the few breaks I have though. Thanks for the input though, man.

Quote by Wiegenlied
A reasonable amount of stress is a good thing and will make you perform better. No stress = apathy. Modern society obessess over stress relief and the pursuit of happiness but the truth is there's moments in life we won'tenjoy, that will be hectic and makes us want to pull our hair out. But that's alright, were only human. We need these emotions to make the moments of joy really shine

I agree with this a bit. While work is over the top sometimes, I've noticed I'm much more focused on my school work seeing as how I don't want to do customer service for the rest of my life.

You should buy one of those little tiny vaporizers that fit in your pocket and bring it to work with you. Just like run to the bathroom and get insta-lit and go back. Dealing with people goes like 110x smoother if you're not all jacked up about shit. Also, it makes you happy, and whether you know it or not this sort of presence will reflect onto the people you deal with. Yeah, some of them will still be assholes, but those are probably incurable cases.

Oh, and I drink chamomile tea all the time because I heard it helps with eczema (it doesn't) and I like the taste. But yeah, homeopathic tea remedies are a hoax. I'd give up on the idea that that would help. However, chamomile tea is quite delicious. Alcohol, however, is a depressant. Taking a very small dose will make you calm down. #biology (Just don't overdo it. And pop a couple mints). This actually used to be a quasi-accepted practice in the not so distant past.

But honestly, this sort of anxiety has always happened to me when I start a new job. Once you get a few paychecks put away and you've got a bit more financial stability (because knowing that you can't afford to lose the job adds work anxiety), you will feel the anxiety less. Then just over time you'll become jaded to your work and you won't even remember what you did that day by the time you get home.

Also, remember that people who have work anxiety are generally people who care about being a good worker. You and I are minorities. Look at the people around you. I guarantee that like 80% of them honestly do not give a **** about how hard or well they are working. Are they getting fired? No. So you won't either even if you exert yourself a little less. A stoned but dedicated worker works better than a stone cold sober person that's a shitty worker.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by progdude93
anxiety sharpens your mind (when it's not clouding it from you freaking the **** out). as wiegenlied says, it's not a bad thing to be worried about your new job. but once you settle in and learn the ropes, you'll be fine.

I hope so. It's just that the job requires you to smile constantly and be energetic to bring customers to you, but sometimes I get so pent-up I start feeling angry and it's harder to keep in a good mood.

Quote by vilk

Also, remember that people who have work anxiety are generally people who care about being a good worker. You and I are minorities. Look at the people around you. I guarantee that like 80% of them honestly do not give a **** about how hard or well they are working. Are they getting fired? No. So you won't either even if you exert yourself a little less. A stoned but dedicated worker works better than a stone cold sober person that's a shitty worker.

I like this. I don't know how to get access to any goodies right now though But I like the viewpoint. I've been told I'm doing well. Maybe I'm just expecting too much from myself.

Last edited by StopReadingThis at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by vilk
Yo. So you won't either even if you exert yourself a little less. A stoned but dedicated worker works better than a stone cold sober person that's a shitty worker.

Not if you're the type of person who gets stoned and then gets paranoid that everyone you talk to knows you're stoned and then you think everyone is looking at you and then you think you're in the Matrix.
Quote by StopReadingThis
I hope so. It's just that the job requires you to smile constantly and be energetic to bring customers to you, but sometimes I get so pent-up I start feeling angry and it's harder to keep in a good mood.

And once you feel angry and have a harder time staying in a good mood, you feel less able to fulfill the requirements of the job (smiling and being energetic), which then increases your anxiety.

I've worked customer service jobs before. 99% of the people who don't have down's syndrome and who have lots of experience just get really good at putting on a smiley face. Here's the truth: customers are stupid. And they don't really care if you're actually happy. They just don't want someone bringing them down. You'll get good at faking it with a little more experience, and until then you just gotta practice.

This comes from my experience working at a front desk with the receptionists.

Also, if you're having issues like this, don't be afraid to talk to someone about it. I wouldn't go to the boss, but if you go to a more experienced employee who seems like a chill person, you can ask them, "How can you just maintain that warm smile? It's a bit hard for me and I'd be grateful for any advice or insight you have to share."

Not only will you likely get advice from someone with experience (customer service teaches you how to deal with people too, so it's good stuff to know), but that person will also begin to have a more vested interest in you. Whenever we give advice to someone, when we watch them implement it, it's like watching a protege. And everyone wants their protege to succeed.
Quote by chev311e
Not if you're the type of person who gets stoned and then gets paranoid that everyone you talk to knows you're stoned and then you think everyone is looking at you and then you think you're in the Matrix.

I dunno I just kinda figured the guy is an adult. But yeah, this might be an issue if you're like a teenager and you've never done drugs before.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by progdude93

Also, if you're having issues like this, don't be afraid to talk to someone about it. I wouldn't go to the boss, but if you go to a more experienced employee who seems like a chill person, you can ask them, "How can you just maintain that warm smile? It's a bit hard for me and I'd be grateful for any advice or insight you have to share."

Not only will you likely get advice from someone with experience (customer service teaches you how to deal with people too, so it's good stuff to know), but that person will also begin to have a more vested interest in you. Whenever we give advice to someone, when we watch them implement it, it's like watching a protege. And everyone wants their protege to succeed.

Yeah, this might be a good idea. I'm in the process of making friends there, and I could bring this up. Maybe not like "ZOMG ANXIETY how da' fux do u deal wit dis?" but like you worded it.

Last edited by StopReadingThis at Nov 20, 2013,
meditation is pretty cool! essentially all of that mindfulness stuff is great!
try not to think too much, breathe deeply into your stomach etc
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Meditation, uplifting music, and exercise. It works, trust.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
1. 20+ years of the restaurant industry have taught me this....stress is not real.....it´s all in your head....if you can find the level that makes you achieve better and float there without being pushed over the edge than bingo.....but it usually takes experience and knowledge to get you there.....so just hold out.

2. Dealing with humans suck!!....I´m pretty sure you can learn to cope with people but from what I´ve seen from waitstaff and receptionists it will just turn you into a bitter, hating, introvert......keep up your studies, set your goals and have a clear picture of the finish line....knowing that this is just temporary should help bring the anxiety down

3. drugs are not the answer.......yes for recreational use....no for emotional bagage
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Benzos you'll have a great day, be perfectly helpful and affable to the customers and your whole shift will feel 30 minutes long. Plus they last just about that time.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
It's a new job, so you're bound to have some anxiety that comes along with it, there's really nothing unusual that requires remedies or treatment there. Once you become experienced at the job the anxiety should lessen, samne as it does with everyone else, but as Wiegenlied said, "A reasonable amount of stress is a good thing and will make you perform better."
Quote by Blackst4r
1. 20+ years of the restaurant industry have taught me this....stress is not real.....it´s all in your head....if you can find the level that makes you achieve better and float there without being pushed over the edge than bingo.....but it usually takes experience and knowledge to get you there.....so just hold out.

2. Dealing with humans suck!!....I´m pretty sure you can learn to cope with people but from what I´ve seen from waitstaff and receptionists it will just turn you into a bitter, hating, introvert......keep up your studies, set your goals and have a clear picture of the finish line....knowing that this is just temporary should help bring the anxiety down

3. drugs are not the answer.......yes for recreational use....no for emotional bagage

1. lololol stress isn't real lololol
2. Yup.
3. The only workers who do more drugs than restaurant workers are strippers and hookers. This is purely based on anecdotal evidence, but I've assiduously collected anecdotal data from various friends of mine in various places with various backgrounds, and it seems to hold true. I can only say this about America though, because my sample doesn't allow me to generalize.
Quote by guitarxo

Meditation helps a lot. I recommend this.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by 5_Years_Dead
Chain smoking weed every OTHER hour of the day will help.

Trust.

Listen to this guy he speaks wisdom
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Get St John's Wort, 2700mg pills are available. Even doctors will recommend these for anxiety.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
The people you're dealing with are no different from you or I, or anyone else for that matter. Everyone is flawed, and most of these flaws you can just ignore. All it takes is time and patience.

Said differently: behave like the owner of a pizza place.
Quote by snipelfritz
Benzos you'll have a great day, be perfectly helpful and affable to the customers and your whole shift will feel 30 minutes long. Plus they last just about that time.

Or he'll pass out.

I can take like 3 mg of chlomazopam and function and think like normal, some people become total drooling zombies. Then again he'd probably get .25 xanex, even just for use as needed and temporary until he gets into the swing of things at his job.

Herbal medicines don't even touch me, like I don't get how melotonin does anything, but different things affect people different. Than again a lot of herbal crap is partially/maybe completely with some, a placebo effect where people want it to work so badly/think it will work. I've tried everything from st. johns wort, to melotonin, to whatever, they don't beat out pharmacy grade drugs, hell they don't beat warm beer, and do nothing for me.
Also benzo's are ridiculously cheap in a pharmacy, I can get like 60 xanex for 12 bucks, hell that's probably not much more than a lot of 'herbal' medicines.
Last edited by stratkat at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by stratkat
xanex

Quote by stratkat
xanex

Xanax is the right answer.

Probably.

For this guy.
Quote by Nelsean
The world needs more buttmonkeys.

Quote by Eddie4President
The Buttmonkey for best username, most intelligent posts of 21st century.
Quote by StewieSwan
Good. The world needs more of you.
Smoke weed everyday. No seriously. Even just one small hit before work of some indica dominant hybrid. Not ***ugh to get you high and tired but ***ugh to be able to not be phased by the stress. Maybe keep a small pocket vape in your car (google MFLB) unless you work close to home and going there and back during a break wouldn't be a burden.

yeah. Don't do benzos. Either you'll want to passout an hour after taking them, or you just won't give a **** about anything. Not the best drug for customer service jobs.
Last edited by Wormholes at Nov 20, 2013,
Weed makes my anxiety go through the roof. Benzos help me control it, but I have to try to relax when I'm on them or I won't even feel them. Like I said they affect people differently, I have a friend who will pass out and wake up 8 hours later still high off them, I have one that just doesn't give a care in the world and acts like a zombie off it, then there's me who barely feels them taking the edge off and only feels them for about 2-4 hours. That's all my personal experiences/observations.
I've taken Passion flower. It gives you no side effects but it's not strong stuff either. Try it and see if it works.

Don't smoke weed. You'll do worse and more than likely you'll end up freaking out over whether or not customers know you are high and end up feeling like you're gonna die of a heart attack.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Nov 20, 2013,
Surely it's completely normal to be anxious when you've just started a new job...
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
^yes.

Don't do benzos. That's stupid. They'll reduce your anxiety, but they'll also reduce the amount you give a **** to the negatives. You'll give fewer ****s than you previously thought possible on benzos. Which will likely make things worse at your job. Plus, they're incredibly addictive (both psychologically and physically). And when you stop, your anxiety issues will only be worse.

Your work-related anxiety should stop, for the most part, once you acclimate. Deal with it without drugs or you'll not learn to deal with it.
This should fix itself. You're just getting used to a new job, it's perfectly normal. To be honest, you should probably stop reading this thread because it's just making it a bigger problem and portraying it as something that needs to be 'solved'. Anxiety gets worse by resisting it and trying to fight against it. You have to stop resisting and just let it be.

When you feel anxious, pinpoint in your body where you can feel it, and then focus on that feeling without thinking about it. Just 'watch' it. And you'll feel it melt away. Not to say it won't come back, but that's the sort of attitude you should have towards it.

But like I said, it should just fix itself with time.
Quote by Nelshizzle
Meditation helps a lot. I recommend this.

Well it seems like this is the best answer. That and just getting used to the job. I'll save the drugs for later

But does anyone know where I can find different meditation and breathing exercises that I can try? I can't really do the whole "close your eyes and imagine nothing for 10 minutes" because I've always got a steady wave of customers.

If you practice meditation consistently then your brain undergoes changes and the benefits stick with you even when you aren't meditating. Meditation isn't something you can do at the same time as serving customers. Both are competing for your full attention.
Quote by StopReadingThis
I don't really have any time to find a quiet place and take 10 minute meditation breaks every few hours or so

Just go to the bathroom?
FALKIRK

We'll win something someday

Quote by Minkaro
Falkirk is the home of runners up.

Check out my Tunes