I've been playing with a new band in drop G lately and I'm looking for an extended scale six string. I know the simple answer to my question is "get a 7 string" but I'm just not comfortable playing them. Anyway, for a while I was looking at the Agile Septor 627, but it doesn't seem like they make them anymore. I've recently become aware of the ESP LTD EC-401B which has a 27" scale, but for whatever reason it's really hard to find them, even on MF.com and GC.com. I believe there is another current ESP 6 string model with a baritone scale, but I can't find that either.

So, outside of what I know, do you guys have any other options for me? I'm not a fan of Ibanez RGs, so I'm ruling out the RGD series. Thanks.
Quote by MH400
The LTD Stephen Carpenter guitars, I think?

Those are 7 strings only, I believe.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 20, 2013,
Just throwing this out there, the RGDs are quite a bit different than the RGs, the neck shape isn't quite the same, the body is way different, really they are almost completely different guitar short of the general "super-strat" template, just something to thing about. Put it this way, I hate Ibanez guitars for the most part, but the RGD I had is still one of the best players I have had.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Agile has a ton of 27" scale guitars, including the various AL-627 LP-style guitars, some super strats, etc. In fact, you can find Agiles in 25.5", 27", 28.5" and 30" scales. Moreover, you can custom order guitars in those scales. www.rondomusic.com
Quote by soilent
I've been playing with a new band in drop G lately and I'm looking for an extended scale six string.

There's also the Variax. You can run the individual alternate string tunings a full octave under standard with a turn of the dial. The factory builds in Drop tunings down to Bb, but using the Workbench software, you can actually drop beyond that, all the way to bass tuning.

Come to think of it, you're only three half-steps *above* bass tuning, so why not go with a five- or six-string bass tuned up a bit? Eventually, the drop tuning wonks are going to get there anyway (and perhaps they'll get around to buying amps that actually reproduce any of the bottom notes) <G>
Quote by dspellman
There's also the Variax. You can run the individual alternate string tunings a full octave under standard with a turn of the dial. The factory builds in Drop tunings down to Bb, but using the Workbench software, you can actually drop beyond that, all the way to bass tuning.

Come to think of it, you're only three half-steps *above* bass tuning, so why not go with a five- or six-string bass tuned up a bit? Eventually, the drop tuning wonks are going to get there anyway (and perhaps they'll get around to buying amps that actually reproduce any of the bottom notes) <G>

Did you really just suggest I buy a bass?
Quote by dementiacaptain
Just throwing this out there, the RGDs are quite a bit different than the RGs, the neck shape isn't quite the same, the body is way different, really they are almost completely different guitar short of the general "super-strat" template, just something to thing about. Put it this way, I hate Ibanez guitars for the most part, but the RGD I had is still one of the best players I have had.

I'll have to try one out, thanks.
Quote by soilent
Did you really just suggest I buy a bass?

Just pointing out that you're not far from a 30" six-string which, tuned to Drop G, is getting very close to a flippin' bass. It's a lot closer to a bass than it is to a 6-string guitar.

So...yes.
Quote by dspellman
Just pointing out that you're not far from a 30" six-string which, tuned to Drop G, is getting very close to a flippin' bass. It's a lot closer to a bass than it is to a 6-string guitar.

So...yes.

The man makes a good point.
Quote by jpnyc
The man makes a good point.

If the point is that he doesn't understand modern metal music, then yes, he makes a very good point. Outside of that, it's nonsense.
Quote by soilent
If the point is that he doesn't understand modern metal music, then yes, he makes a very good point. Outside of that, it's nonsense.

I understand modern metal music well enough.

You blew past the part of my post where I noted that I had a Variax JTV-89F that could handle drop tunings down to Drop Bb (these are built in at the factory) with a Floyd in place and could go further, all the way down to a full octave below the string's physical tuning. That makes Drop G a piece of quiche.

I should probably note that I've been doing drop tunings since about 2005 on Variaxes. You probably also missed some of my other posts where I mentioned that Agile has, among a whole lot of others, several variations on the LP type guitar including the 27" scale (24-fret) in this photograph and other scales including 28.6" and 30" (in semi-custom form) as well as a whole TON of extended range guitars including both extra-string guitars up to 10 strings and multi-scale (fan-fret) guitars.

Might want to bear in mind that you're the newb who came into this forum asking for information regarding 6-string 27" scale guitars and I'm one of the people who've had this information (and these guitars) for a very long time. "Modern Metal" indeed.

BTW, I'm not suggesting that you pick up a Precision Bass or anything like that in order to play Drop G. But there are relatively short-scale six-string bass guitars that are entirely appropriate for what you're doing, and that have pickups that are appropriate for the notes that you'll be producing, and that have been around for probably 40-50 years.

You've never heard of the 1960 Gibson EB6, of course, so let's start there (note that there's also the 1964 SG-shape version that's been perverted (er...converted) to a sort of Baritone in several cases):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6WuSxMWaOY

This one was from '61 - '64 and Jack Bruce learned his craft on one, but several were played as baris along the way. Fender Bass VI:

I know you've got your hands over your ears and are yelling "La la la la la" at this point, but I want to introduce the rest of the forum to AC Guitars -- Alan builds some of the finest custom bass guitars in Europe. He *also* builds guitars and can build anything in any scale and the workmanship is just amazing. http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/basses/

You (or someone who *really* understands "modern metal" music) might want to contact him and see what he can whip up for you if you're really descending into the depths.
Last edited by dspellman at Nov 22, 2013,