I’m what some would consider poor. Being poor and the equipment that comes as a result of being poor is disheartening.

I hope someone can help me. Im pretty illiterate about how things work. I've played guitar for about 3 years, on one of those cheap starter squiers and one of those 99 dollar mustang 1 modleing amps, horrible,

I couldnt stand the tone from day one, and now that I had some money I bought a 800$ guitar in hopes of changing the tone... well I plugged in the new guitar and its the same horrible tone as my 99$ squier!!!! Cannot tell a bit of difference, did i just waste 800 bucks? Makes me sick thinking about that.

Is it the amp? Please help a clueless person
Whether not not you've wasted your money depends on the guitar and how much you spent on it. So what did you buy?

And yes, it's the amp. It's nearly always an amp issue in regards to tone, especially if you have a wank amp.

You now need a new amp, so how much money do you have or will you have for one and what do you want to play?
Yes it's the amp, that was the problem all along as far as crappy sound goes.

A Squier can sound pretty good through a decent amp, but even the best guitar will sound like crap if you plug it into a rubbish amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Crappy amp sounds crappy, no matter what guitar you play through it. But I wouldn't say you wasted money. Better guitar is always a better guitar and it's also important. It's not as important to your tone as your amp is but a better guitar feels better and plays better - it's more enjoyable to play and makes you want to play more. Starter pack guitars usually are crap so I don't think you did anything wrong. But yeah, now you just need a new amp. Maybe sell your old gear to get more money to spend on the amp.

Oh and what guitar did you buy?

^^ Yeah, that's true but guitar isn't all about sound. It's about feel too. And a better guitar will sound better through the same amp. You need both, a good guitar and a good amp to sound good.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by jasondurham88
I’m what some would consider poor. Being poor and the equipment that comes as a result of being poor is disheartening.

I hope someone can help me. Im pretty illiterate about how things work. I've played guitar for about 3 years, on one of those cheap starter squiers and one of those 99 dollar mustang 1 modleing amps, horrible,

I couldnt stand the tone from day one, and now that I had some money I bought a 800$ guitar in hopes of changing the tone... well I plugged in the new guitar and its the same horrible tone as my 99$ squier!!!! Cannot tell a bit of difference, did i just waste 800 bucks? Makes me sick thinking about that.

Hi mate,

Please don't be disheartened about your financial situation and the implications it has on gear. A good guitarist will sound better on your gear than a crap guitarist on top of the line gear. Yes, gear is a factor, but so is skill and technique. All is not lost, so chin up

Sounds like you now have an awesome guitar, so that's definitely a plus! Keep hold of it and keep playing!

And yeah, it will be the amp that is the issue. IMO, tone is 25% guitar and 75% amp. Your best bet is saving for a new amp. Check eBay and Craigslist - decent second hand amps often go for really cheap prices. What style of music do you play?
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by jasondurham88

It's usually the amp! Hold onto the guitar if you want, what guitar is it?

If you have an iPhone or an iPad you should look into getting the "JamUp" app, it's amp modelling but it is vastly superior to the Mustang and won't cost as much. You just need to an adapter to plug your guitar in.
Here's JamUp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYZmOeBD6hI
Definitely the amp. If I were you, I would have split the $800 for a guitar and a better amp.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Mephaphil
Whether not not you've wasted your money depends on the guitar and how much you spent on it. So what did you buy?

And yes, it's the amp. It's nearly always an amp issue in regards to tone, especially if you have a wank amp.

You now need a new amp, so how much money do you have or will you have for one and what do you want to play?

Thank you for responding, The Schecter hellraiser C-1 gloss black, and the style of music i play is mostly around black metal, like Burzum, etc..
Quote by MH400
Hi mate,

Please don't be disheartened about your financial situation and the implications it has on gear. A good guitarist will sound better on your gear than a crap guitarist on top of the line gear. Yes, gear is a factor, but so is skill and technique. All is not lost, so chin up

Sounds like you now have an awesome guitar, so that's definitely a plus! Keep hold of it and keep playing!

And yeah, it will be the amp that is the issue. IMO, tone is 25% guitar and 75% amp. Your best bet is saving for a new amp. Check eBay and Craigslist - decent second hand amps often go for really cheap prices. What style of music do you play?

Thanks to all of you that have replied, I dont feel so terrible now.

In reply to the guitar its a Schecter hellraiser C-1 gloss black, and the style of music i play is mostly around black metal, like Burzum, etc..

I seen a peavey 6505 plus 112 combo for like 399 used. I think they run 700ish new. Should i save up for something like that?

I really do hope its the amp and not the guitar because it really does sound the exact same, such a let down, but anyway thank you all for helping a clueless person, really do appreciate it very much!
The 6505 combo is genuinely awesome. I was looking at one myself, until I went all out and got a Pod set up.

If you can get a used 6505 combo, you'll have pretty awesome gear. To me, thats definitely your best option.
RIP Tom Searle.
I thought the Mustang 1 was supposed to have good cleans, especially the twin reverb setting. For high gain/distortion then i guess Roland Cubes 40xl are supposed to be good for practice amps.
Don't feel bad, my good sir. You got a better guitar. Now you just need a better amp. We can't always buy both at the same time. You got one out of the way, now you just need the other, and guess what? You've already made a very good suggestion for yourself in the Peavey 6505+ combo, so you already have some insight! Good man! Just think, when you have that combo AND that guitar, you'll have some damn good gear!
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Quote by kingking22
I thought the Mustang 1 was supposed to have good cleans, especially the twin reverb setting. For high gain/distortion then i guess Roland Cubes 40xl are supposed to be good for practice amps.

Yeah, but if TS plays black metal, it definitely is the wrong amp. Because it isn't really designed for high gain sounds.

6505/5150 is pretty much The Metal Amp and every time somebody is buying a new amp, everybody in UG suggests a 6505/5150.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by AsOneIStand
Don't feel bad, my good sir. You got a better guitar. Now you just need a better amp. We can't always buy both at the same time. You got one out of the way, now you just need the other, and guess what? You've already made a very good suggestion for yourself in the Peavey 6505+ combo, so you already have some insight! Good man! Just think, when you have that combo AND that guitar, you'll have some damn good gear!

Thank you so much for the kind words, I hope to get there soon
Yup. After 6505 the Mustang I with its puny ass 8" speaker (you really need 12" for metal anyway) will sound like flaccid diarrhea fart.
Well, maybe not exactly but 6505 is a classic amp for modern and extreme metal. I'm not saying there are not better amps around but it is used a lot for a reason.

In hindsight if you were sick of your current gear (to a point it demotivates you from playing) maybe it would have been better if you would have splitted a cost of that guitar and gotten a bit cheaper one and a better amp. But you have one badass guitar now and since you have it in your hands and if you like how it feels and plays, I say keep it and patiently save for the new amp.

If it takes time so be it. But its cheaper in a long run than going through 10 cheap guitars and amps through your journey before finally settling on the one that you had wanted for years.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 20, 2013,
sweet guitar...Think of it this way...If you had choosen the amp first you just might of been sorta happy and kept your current rig......growing tired of the whole setup eventually and decided to start playing tuba instead......

...now you have an awesome guitar and a clear cut goal to what you´ll need next...no short cuts or shallow thrills that really just leave you feeling empty by the end of the ride like a 2 dollar *****
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
It is almost completely on the amp here. I can plug in a $2500 Les Paul into that Fender Mustang and it'll still have a "not so great" tone. An amp would've been a bit of a better upgrade.

Now,, that's not to say that you wasted $800 on a guitar. If it feels great, that's what matters. Your amp just won't do it justice, though.
Skip the username, call me Billy
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Y.

6505/5150 is pretty much The Metal Amp and every time somebody is buying a new amp, everybody in UG suggests a 6505/5150.

Which doesn't necessarily mean it's the best choice. I've mostly gone with modelers (Pod HD, Axe-FX Ultra). You can plug them into a wide range of power amps/speakers or powered speakers or record with them, and your sound won't change a whole lot. Dino Cazares has been recording with Pods for years (one album was done completely with a Pod XT). Could be that a Pod and a set of good headphones (AKG240, Sennheiser 280, BeyerDynamic 770, Sony 7506) would let him wail.
Quote by MaaZeus
Yup. After 6505 the Mustang I with its puny ass 8" speaker (you really need 12" for metal anyway) will sound like flaccid diarrhea fart.
Well, maybe not exactly but 6505 is a classic amp for modern and extreme metal. I'm not saying there are not better amps around but it is used a lot for a reason.

In hindsight if you were sick of your current gear (to a point it demotivates you from playing) maybe it would have been better if you would have splitted a cost of that guitar and gotten a bit cheaper one and a better amp. But you have one badass guitar now and since you have it in your hands and if you like how it feels and plays, I say keep it and patiently save for the new amp.

If it takes time so be it. But its cheaper in a long run than going through 10 cheap guitars and amps through your journey before finally settling on the one that you had wanted for years.

That is a good way to look at it, thanks By the way, love your avatar, great album
Quote by jasondurham88
I seen a peavey 6505 plus 112 combo for like 399 used. I think they run 700ish new. Should i save up for something like that?

Yes, absolutely. I can get some pretty decent Burzum tones from my 6505+ 112. It's one of the best reasonably priced tube amps for metal, imo. I've had mine for a couple years (bought new) and have absolutely ZERO regrets purchasing it.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Quote by gorgthemeatpile
Yes, absolutely. I can get some pretty decent Burzum tones from my 6505+ 112. It's one of the best reasonably priced tube amps for metal, imo. I've had mine for a couple years (bought new) and have absolutely ZERO regrets purchasing it.

Well thats good news, thank you, I hope I get it soon.
Just wanted to warn you that the 6505 has a horrible clean channel, but can do high gain metal well. A good amp but kind of a one trick pony.

A Mesa Mini Rectifier or ENGL Ironball would be a great choice, but you would need to save up more coin for it.