Dear Gentlemen,

I would say that I'm a little more than a beginner with regards to my playing.

Could you please let me know as to how I should effectively utilize the volume knob of my guitar ? When on OD, I never crank the guitar volume full but may be 75-80%. I've just heard that you should always keep your volume and tone controls at its maximum, and bring them down as and when needed. I recently got myself my first ever tube amp which is a Blackstar HT5R. However I'm yet to find that sweet tone of it. Now I feel that the reason I'm finding it hard to chase that tone because Im trying with a lower volume on my guitar? Of course I do crank the Gain to it's heights.

Also it is worth mentioning that I came across some settings diagrams used by bands like metallica, megadeth for my amp (HT5) and I realized that the gain level I have set is too much but still not getting any satisfactory tones that I'm after.

Please can you advice??

Many thanks in advance

/Bindo
Have you tried running with a boost in front of the amp? A hotter signal going into the amp will produce a thicker tone as the tubes are overdriven.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
For metal, always keep the volume and tone maxed out unless you want to reduce the gain, for example calmer parts. Turning the volume down attenuates the signal from pickups to guitar. Tone knob maxed out means no change to signal, turning it down darkens it. You want no hinderance between the pickups and the preamp of your amplifier when dealing with this kind of music.

Some bands have gone extreme ways and ripped out the volume and tone controls out of their guitars (Nile for example) and have the bridge pickups wired directly to the output jack. At best they have a killswitch to turn the guitar off. While volume control is maxed out it still affects the sound. Having no pots in signal chain makes the sound brighter.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Nov 20, 2013,
If you're using high gain/distortion then it odesn't matter because the tone from the guitars pickups are lost anyway in the all the distortion. If you want more gain then put the volume to 100%.
Quote by kingking22
If you're using high gain/distortion then it odesn't matter because the tone from the guitars pickups are lost anyway in the all the distortion

Sorry but thats simply not true.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Sorry but thats simply not true.

Do a blind test and see. When it comes to distortion it's mostly all down to the amp and setup. The pickups are important in terms of gain but not for tone..

So yeah I stated 95% of the guitars pickups tone is lost and I agree with that. I think people listening won't even be able to tell a difference but maybe the guitarist will think there's more of a difference than there actually is because of placebo.
Last edited by kingking22 at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by kingking22
Do a blind test and see. When it comes to distortion it's mostly all down to the amp and setup. The pickups are important in terms of gain but not for tone..

So yeah I stated 95% of the guitars pickups tone is lost and I agree with that. I think people listening won't even be able to tell a difference but maybe the guitarist will think there's more of a difference than there actually is because of placebo.

Pickups sound different even under high gain. I have different pickups in my guitar and they all sound noticeably different in my experience. If you cant tell a difference between Dimarzio Tonezone and X2N (both really high output but almost EQ opposites) you have tin ears.

Hell, I let the vid do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZYDYiOIuC8

In the last vid the SD Alternative 8 sounds almost hilarious compared to others.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
^ Yeah, if you can't hear a clear difference between those pickups you are tone deaf. There's a clear difference even through my crappy computer speakers. In real life the difference would be even bigger.

Also, when I was buying my Charvel, I tried different guitars, also another Charvel (San Dimas) that sounded different. That's why I bought the So Cal and not the San Dimas. Both cost the same, had the same features and felt the same in my hands. The only difference was the tone. And it was pretty clear difference (and I played with distortion).

I understand the comments about woods not making a difference but pickups not making a difference? Are you nuts?

I could even tell difference between my old Epiphone that I sold and my Charvel through a Microcube (with distortion again), even though people say everything sounds the same through modeling amps. They just sounded way different. I also have recordings with both guitars (also using distortion) and the difference is clear. I can't achieve my old Les Paul's tone with my Charvel. The Charvel has more highs, the Les Paul sound was more focused on mids. And it sounded duller. If you want to hear the recordings, I can send them too.

You are pretty much saying that EQ makes no difference. Different pickups kind of have different EQs. Some sound brighter, some have more mids, some sound more scooped. Changing pickups is kind of the same as changing your EQ settings.

But if we stay on topic, for heavier styles you may want to keep your volume and tone cranked. Because that way you get most distortion. Think your guitar volume knob as a pre-gain control. The amp's gain control is a volume knob and controls the input level. The guitar volume knob does the same. You can achieve different sounds with different settings but usually when you roll your guitar volume off, you lose highs and the tone also gets kind of thinner. You can of course try experimenting with them but for heavy music I don't see a point in it.

Volume and tone at full is your guitar's natural sound. So that's why people advise you only to turn them down when you really need to do it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Nov 20, 2013,
Instead of just walking over to your guitar and turning the volume from 8 to 10, you decided to make a thread asking if you should turn the knob to 10? And then you say your gain is too high, but it doesn't sound good. Have you tried lowering the gain? Do you really need someone to hold your hand while you try different settings on your amp?

Go try it yourself and form an opinion. If you have an actual question, come back and ask it, but don't waste everyone's time asking permission to turn a knob.