Answer: A self flying car.

Self-flying cars are easier to do than self-driving cars, Terrafugia co-founder and CEO Carl Dietrich said at a conference at MIT over the weekend. And, all going perfectly to plan, we can expect to be able to buy our very own self-flying vehicle with vertical take-off and landing capabilities within a decade, he said.

Speaking at the MIT-China Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum on Saturday, Dietrich said self-flying cars, such as Terrafugia’s in-development TF-X, represent a less complicated technology challenge than that faced by self-driving cars.

Self-driving cars have to worry about things like how to respond to road signs held by workers who are signalling the opposite. They also have to be able to adapt to changing road conditions and visibility. But self-flying cars need only to worry about the vast 3D road in the sky, and take-off and landing. Those challenges are relatively straightforward, Dietrich said. Autopilot technology has been around since the 1980s, and automatic landing systems have been in operation since 1979.

“The technology challenge for self-flying cars is easer than for self-driving cars,” he said.

Article: http://pandodaily.com/2013/11/19/whats-easier-than-self-driving-cars-self-flying-cars/

And the TL;DR

Basically, if you're rich, you can have an auto-pilot flying car in two years, if you're a normal person, you can have it in ten.

The future is upon us gentleman.
two self driving cars?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Seriously, I'm not an engineer, but would that thing really fly?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
A billion self driving cars.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by lolmnt
Seriously, I'm not an engineer, but would that thing really fly?

In theory, yeah. The thing I'm worried about, is if it does work, how will it react to variable weights? Like, could you carry luggage with you? Camping gear? etc.

Quote by angusfan16
The driving flying test for that is going to be a bitch.

Well, not really, cause it flies itself. All you do is punch in coordinates.
Quote by Baby Joel
In theory, yeah. The thing I'm worried about, is if it does work, how will it react to variable weights? Like, could you carry luggage with you? Camping gear? etc.

It just doesn't look like there's ***ugh wing surface area.

But again, I really don't know what I'm talking about.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by Baby Joel

But what if something fucks up and then you have to fly it manually? If i'm gonna be flying through the air i'm gonna wanna know everything possible about the thing that's carrying me from point A to point B
Sail upon the open skies
Unless it has a ridiculously powerful engine there's surely no way that that thing has ***ugh wing-surface.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I hate to be 'that guy' but it doesn't exactly sound like a step forward for saving the planet unless they can invent more efficient/less harmful jet propulsion engines etc.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
I hate to be 'that guy' but it doesn't exactly sound like a step forward for saving the planet unless they can invent more efficient/less harmful jet propulsion engines etc.

Shhh technology
Quote by DisarmGoliath

nah, dude. If make everyone fly, all of the emissions will be higher up and gravity can't trap them and they'll just float up and pollute the moon.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Flying cars can go suck teleportation's dick. By the time this car goes to market, nobody will use it because it will be ludicrously expensive therefore redundant as an alternative to cars.
Quote by DisarmGoliath

Although I hate to be 'that guy' too, this guy is absolutely right. Cars that can't fly is not a real-world issue nearly as much as ecological problems with cars is.

Can you also imagine how OMFGWTFBBQ noisy these cars would be? It would be ridiculous.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 20, 2013,
I doubt that picture is what it will look like.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Flying cars can go suck teleportation's dick.

Teleportation sucks, unless you want to die every time you do it.
Quote by macashmack
Teleportation sucks, unless you want to die every time you do it.

It's still potentially a way better solution than flying cars ever will be, teleportation is about as efficient a method of transportation as it gets. It just requires a shitton of research.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by progdude93
So basically this is a helicopter with autopilot....
No. It's a helicopter to take off, but turns into a plane in the air.

Try to keep up.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
It just doesn't look like there's ***ugh wing surface area.

Quote by Todd Hart
Unless it has a ridiculously powerful engine there's surely no way that that thing has ***ugh wing-surface.

What the fuck is going on here?
***ugh.
Edit: ***.
Edit2: I'm so confused. Why is "eno" censored?

Edit3: Nevermind. I finally noticed the sticky.
Last edited by archangels at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by Baby Joel

Answer: A self flying car.

Other Answer: a car with a manual transmission. HEEEEEELLLLL YEEEEEE

EDIT: ***ugh

EDIT2: that's awesome
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by archangels
What the fuck is going on here?

***ugh.
A company called E N O is spamming the guitar parts of this forum, so the company name was censored. But we didn't think this would happen and now it's being sorted out.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by lolmnt
A company called E N O is spamming the guitar parts of this forum, so the company name was censored. But we didn't think this would happen and now it's being sorted out.

lol
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
OK, that is definitely ***ugh wing surface area for a small 2-person aircraft to get lift, because this thing is the world's smallest airplane, and it flies.

It should be able to deal with variable loads just fine, but there will of course be a maximum load on it, which I assume would cause the thing to not physically turn on.
Didn't the same type of wacko use to say everyone would be flying around in jetpacks in the same period of time?
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's still potentially a way better solution than flying cars ever will be, teleportation is about as efficient a method of transportation as it gets. It just requires a shitton of research.

Teleportation will be used to transport goods and materials, not people.
This:

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
weren't we supposed to have jetpacks like 10 years ago?
I'm gonna suffer for the rest of my life

But I will always find a way to survive
Quote by macashmack
Teleportation will be used to transport goods and materials, not people.

That's still worthy of performing more research. The problem isn't so much that people aren't using flying cars, they're just not driving cars that are ecological.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R