I was wondering is it necessary to be good at legato technique in order to reach very high alternate picking speed (15+ notes in second)? Or not? Since I don't practice legato that much recently
You need to have a very highly developed left hand. To be honest, picking takes even more left hand precision than legato so you will find that most players who can pick 15nps can hammer and pull more.

Even Steve Morse who is famous for picking everything says he can still legato faster.

Think of really good pickers - Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Andy James... all of them excellent legato players too!
Quote by kimi_page
I was wondering is it necessary to be good at legato technique in order to reach very high alternate picking speed (15+ notes in second)? Or not? Since I don't practice legato that much recently

yes it's necessary. Like someone else has said, you need to have an highly developed left hand. This is necessary for speed, no matter what is the technique used. Weak, uncoordinated fingers will make sure that you never achieve a clean speed.
yeah pretty much as freepower said. when you're picking everything you need to have the synchronisation thing down, whereas with legato it's less important. still important (assuming you're not legatoing absolutely everything), but less so.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?