My guitar amp didn't used to have this problem, but now it regularly gets a lot of static and I can barely hear the guitar. If I move the amp around or pound on it it usually starts working properly again. What might the problem be?
Loose/dirty connections. Check the obvious stuff, like any in or output, including the power cable. Give it all a slight wiggle (except maybe the power cable, that could be dangerous) and also roll all your pots back and forth for any scratchiness.

Also, what amp?
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Lavatain
Loose/dirty connections. Check the obvious stuff, like any in or output, including the power cable. Give it all a slight wiggle (except maybe the power cable, that could be dangerous) and also roll all your pots back and forth for any scratchiness.

Also, what amp?

It's a little tube amp, maybe 15w. I think it's a Crate.

I checked all the cables and tried different ones. Didn't fix it. What would scratchiness or lack thereof from rolling the pots tell you?
You might try tapping on the individual tubes with the end of a pencil and see if that affects the static in any way. To me it sounds like you have bad power tube(s)
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Also make sure the nuts around each input are tight. I had one go loose and my signal kept doing what you just said yours was.