Hey there,

I´ll pick up a sweet hardly used Fender 50s Classic Strat next Saturday

Cause I´m a really big fan of Green Day and have already two LP Juniors to get the sound of their newer stuff (American Idiot, 21st Century Breadown, Uno/Dos/Tré , I´ll mainly use that guitar for their older stuff (Kerplunk, Dookie).

Billie Joe swapped the bridge SC of his Strat "Blue" with a Seymour Duncan SH-4, that´s what I´d like to do also. But I´d also like to have a SC sound on the bridge (I sometimes play calmer stuff like Ryan Adams & the Cardinas, some U2 etc.) why I´ll install a push/pull pot for coil splitting - but I´m now asking if I should rather take a 500k or 250k volume pot? What would be better for especially the old, beefy Green Day tone?

I generally think 500k´s are better for humbuckers and 250k´s for Sinclecoils, too bad I got them both in one guitar

Thanks
Luke
Last edited by Melodyne93 at Nov 20, 2013,
Depends on the tone you want. If you want more of the string vibration for that "woody" sound, go 500K on your SC's. I did that with the Samarium Cobalts in an old MIJ strat and it was very transparent. 250K's are the standard, though.

For what you want to play, though, 500K's seem about right.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I would stick with the 250k pots and get a really bright humbucker to compensate.

250K would take a lot of punch out of his tone, though? The transparency of the guitar sound into an amp is what Green Day's tone is all about.
It would, but that's why you get really bright pickup to make up for it. A Strat with 500k pickups will be excessively bright and more difficult to compensate for. They don't make many pickups that will still sound like a Strat with 500k pickups. But you can also mix and match pots or get 300k pots to get in between.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It would, but that's why you get really bright pickup to make up for it. A Strat with 500k pickups will be excessively bright and more difficult to compensate for. They don't make many pickups that will still sound like a Strat with 500k pickups. But you can also mix and match pots or get 300k pots to get in between.

Eh, we'll agree to disagree. I've had 2 Strats with 500K's that were very Strat-y.
Use a 500, connect one tone knob to the bridge and one to the neck + middle pickups. Then you can dial out any extra treble on the singles, and run your bridge pickup wide open if you want. Better than muddying up the bucker with a 250, IMO. Removing treble is easy, adding it back in is not.

The JB is probably ok with a 250 but if you want to sound like Greenday, you should probably keep all that bite and treble in there, and the 500 is the way to do that.

The other option is to try both. These pots are $5, buying one extra won't kill you.