Hi all,

First Thanks to this wonderfull forum (and excuse my poor English too..)

For the price, I watched 3 all tube head wich interested me. So here is my question: iv'e got a OLP Luke (wich is a copy of musicman luke, I installed EMG on it and changed the mechanics). I can't afford to get a bogner or a custom audio amplifier (TOTO sound-steve lukather)

So wich of these amp (don't laught please !) are the closest sounding to steve lukather sound (bogner ecstasy 101b)

RANDALL RT50H : http://www.thomann.de/fr/randall_rt50_h_guitar_head.htm#bewertung

BUGERA 333:
http://www.thomann.de/fr/bugera_333_infinium.htm

BUGERA 333XL:
http://www.thomann.de/fr/bugera_333xl_infinium.htm

BUGERA 6260:
http://www.thomann.de/fr/bugera_6260_infinium.htm

I know it's just not decent to compare 500 buck bugera (wich by the way, are made for metal, but I heard really good clears on it) to 4k $ Bogner, but according to anyone, wich sound the CLOSEST to steve like that : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouPa5swr610

Thanks !
None are going to give you a very good Lukather sound. The Randall RD45 might work, but it'll be a bit more money. I've always heard the CAA sound when listening to Lukather more than the Bogner.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 or a Laney GH50/100 if you don't need a clean channel, Laney VH100r if you need a clean channel. The XTC is based on a Marshall circuit

If you look used, these amps should fall into your budget.

I own a Bugera 333, yes they sound good but they have horrible QC and they really do just breakdown out of the blue. I will never suggest them to any musician and especially if it is your only amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would like to order on thomann, wich is just besides men (no shipping to pay). My eyes were on the 33XL. Robbgnarly, what do you mean when you say "horrible QC". What's a QC?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get a used Marshall JCM2000 DSL50/100 or a Laney GH50/100 if you don't need a clean channel, Laney VH100r if you need a clean channel. The XTC is based on a Marshall circuit

If you look used, these amps should fall into your budget.

I own a Bugera 333, yes they sound good but they have horrible QC and they really do just breakdown out of the blue. I will never suggest them to any musician and especially if it is your only amp.

The 101B is kinda sorta rooted in the Marshall design, but it doesn't really sound all that much like one. Besides, Luke only started using the 101B in the last year or so. Before that, it was the CAA 3+ preamp for about 20 years, and before that, it was Mesa Marks and Marshalls. But yea, the 3+ is sorta hot rodded Marshall-ish, but the RD45 will do those sounds better than a DSL, though the Laney would probably be cool.

Quote by netdemondir
I would like to order on thomann, wich is just besides men (no shipping to pay). My eyes were on the 33XL. Robbgnarly, what do you mean when you say "horrible QC". What's a QC?

Quality control. The Bugeras were notorious for self destructing around here for a while, though I haven't seen many threads on them in a while.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by netdemondir

Quality Control

Bugeras will breakdown for some of the most trivial reasons. They're are not reliable at all. I have had my Bugera 333 in for repairs 4 times now, it is in right now actually.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ohh ok, yes I saw many problem on these amp, but the seller said that since 2012, these amp were remodded and reweved , and since there was no problem anymore! I also like that the 33xl has got 3 channels, el34 (wich is also in the bogner), and comes with the footswitch. I play mostly TOTO, and sometimes blues, the only point that makes me hesitates, is that the bugeras are made for metal,, du you thing I can have a good tone with these?
Quote by netdemondir
Ohh ok, yes I saw many problem on these amp, but the seller said that since 2012, these amp were remodded and reweved , and since there was no problem anymore! I also like that the 33xl has got 3 channels, el34 (wich is also in the bogner), and comes with the footswitch. I play mostly TOTO, and sometimes blues, the only point that makes me hesitates, is that the bugeras are made for metal,, du you thing I can have a good tone with these?

Don't waist your money on a Bugera, trust me.

The Bugera 333xl is a clone of the Peavey JSX, but they are built very cheap and they breakdown on a lot of people.

Yes they sound good
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ok thank you for taking time to respond, i need to test them in the shop, because, nothing else than sound matters ! Have a nice day !
Nothing matters but sound? Reliability isn't important? How so?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by netdemondir

There is literally no part in an amp less crucial to the Bogner tone than an EL34 output section. The 333XL is voiced about as far away from a Bogner as a high gain amp can be. I also don't know why you're so hung up on the 101B. He literally started using them in the last few years only, though he did use a Fish for a small period in the 90s.

EDIT: This is 50 Euros more...

http://www.thomann.de/fr/randall_rd_45_head.htm
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Nothing matters but sound? Reliability isn't important? How so?

+3.1415 reliability is arguably more important than even a small loss of tone (to a point).

i would rather be playing a gig with a solid and reliable amp.

luckily i have never had major failure at a gig, but most of my gear is pretty reliable.

if you have your bugera start smoking and it fails and thats all you have, do you think you will be offered the gig again if you are out and the other guitarist has to do everything? assuming you have another guitarist. and if you don't you are really f*****.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Hi, iv'me finally made a choice: i will until chrismas and "order to santa claus : D an used bogner xtc 101b that someone is selling for 2000 bucks. i thing it's the most clostest sounding i can get.
Quote by netdemondir
Hi, iv'me finally made a choice: i will until chrismas and "order to santa claus : D an used bogner xtc 101b that someone is selling for 2000 bucks. i thing it's the most clostest sounding i can get.

That is a great amp, but like matt said, his sound is more CAA amps than Bogner if you really want to nail his tones
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
he changed his CAA for bogners (like in the video), i saw him on solo tour in france, he had bogner, i like better the bogner sound, wich is more kind of natural and organic
I think 2000 is a good price for a bogner isn't it?. I don't understand why you're sayng this dementiacaptain?
I am not sure the voicing matches what you are looking for. With that said, the 333XL harmonics have a breakup similarly to that bogner, but the tone is pretty different. If you insist on a Bugera I would say go for the 333XL. I haven't tried any of the newer bugeras, but having owned and gigged with the 333XL I can say it is my favorite amplifier for high gain. Gets more use than my soldano and custom Phaez by a long short.
Quote by nyandres
I am not sure the voicing matches what you are looking for. With that said, the 333XL harmonics have a breakup similarly to that bogner, but the tone is pretty different. If you insist on a Bugera I would say go for the 333XL. I haven't tried any of the newer bugeras, but having owned and gigged with the 333XL I can say it is my favorite amplifier for high gain. Gets more use than my soldano and custom Phaez by a long short.

See post #13
Quote by netdemondir
I think 2000 is a good price for a bogner isn't it?. I don't understand why you're sayng this dementiacaptain?

Because though now he's using Bogners, his trademark sound comes from a CAA.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.