Hi Guys,

I recently purchased a Fender Hotrod Deluxe III and I am finding the volume very loud at low levels!

It seems that from 0 to 2 on the volume is very low and then jumps up very quickly to super loud at 2.

I have read somewhere that if you plug the speaker into the external speaker socket(and a open plug in the main speaker socket) that this will lower the overall volume.

I have tried a Big White Monkey attenuator that reduces the volume by 12db's but it is nowhere near what I expected.

Is anyone else having this issue? What was your solution?

Thanks
Supposedly those amps shipped with a wrong pot for the volume. The symptom is exactly what you describe. It's an easy fix for someone comfortable soldering on a PCB. Maybe a local tech could do it for you?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
What he said ^. Sounds like it has a linear pot instead of a log one. Swap it out.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
This amp is fairly new. I thought Fender changed the pots?

What about trying the 8ohm speaker through the external speaker socket with a open plug in the main speaker socket. Doing this reduces the impedence to 4ohms.

Thanks for your replies
If you're up to the task, open it up and tell us what is written on the pot then we can confirm it or not.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I recently bought this amp too, and have had the same experience.
I'm an electronics engineering major, and long story short, the guys above are right. fender put a linear taper potentiometer in for the volume adjustment. Most amps (or anything that controls volume) have an exponential taper potentiometer, and this is what your used to.
To fix the problem, just take it to a local guitar or amp shop and tell them to swap out the volume pot for a one with a exponential taper.
Personally, I like the linear taper. I have the blonde tolex amp and its an early issue. I think it might be worth some money some day (like 50 years down the road). So I wouldn't change it out, because the original linear pot could someday be a dead give away that your amp was an early model.
PM if you have any questions. I can try to answer some of the more technical questions if you want to know.

edit: technically, the pot is called a logarithmic taper, but the average person without any technical knowledge can just think of it as exponential.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
Last edited by fagelamusgtr at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by fagelamusgtr
edit: technically, the pot is called a logarithmic taper, but the average person without any technical knowledge can just think of it as exponential.
That's a very, very bad way to generalize logarithm functions, as a logarithm is the inverse of exponentiation
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 20, 2013,
Quote by Flux'D
That's a very, very bad way to generalize logarithm functions, as a logarithm is the inverse of exponentiation

Snap.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
This is from a post on another forum about the Hot Rod Deluxe III

ll three volume controls (clean, drive, master) are log (audio) taper pots. Replacing them is a waste of time and money. Replacing the 6L6GC power tubes with 6V6 type tubes will lower the overall power output by about 3 dB. Not that big a change in volume. If all you want is better range on the volume control, replace the 12AX7 in V1 with a lower gain 5751 or 12AY7. The amp will still be loud at max volume but the volume controls will have a smoother sweep to them. Keep in mind that the drive channel will also be affected by the lower gain tube in V1.

Is this correct?
That's incorrect. The clean and drive volume controls are log pots, yes, but the master volume pot is a linear. That's the one you need to replace.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but on my hot rod deluxe, the master only operates on the drive channel....

Very confused!!!
Quote by cheekysnake
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but on my hot rod deluxe, the master only operates on the drive channel....

Very confused!!!

Right, however you are getting away from the point. The generic fix to have a "more controllable volume" on this amp is to replace the master volume linear pot with a log pot. You can pick them up for pretty cheap, around $8 from what I've found.

http://www.guitarpartssite.com/0047540000-p/0047540000.htm

The pot is soldered in, so unless you have experience with electronics and soldering, I would request some assistance from somebody with experience.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I mainly use the clean channel, so I am talking mainly about the volume knob, not the master(as this does not effect the clean channel).

Thanks for the input.
You will most likely have to resort to making micro-adjustments then. You could buy a passive volume pedal or something to make it easier, or even use the volume pot on your guitar to tame it. IIRC, the drive channel with the gain dialed back could be used for cleans pretty effeciently, so there's that.

Hopefully this helps.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger

Taylor 414CE
Well, logarithmic pots actually don't exist. They're more like stepped slope linear pots that approximate a logarithmic curve. So you'll get imperfections like that. It's just the nature of real word components.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Flux'D

yes, this is true. but the slope still moves in an exponential fashion (since the log is the inverse of the exponential function). Therefore, most people just think of the pot working in this manner.

anyways, none of this technical stuff really even matters. All that matters is that the HRD III has a linear taper, which is different from the norm.
-Andrew H
band: syncopated groove punch
I really hate to derail this, but that's not correct in the slightest. Nothing about a logarithm moves in an exponential fashion, it's actually less than a linear graph of the same value. C'mon now, being an EE you should know this

Thinking about it, it wouldn't be possible for a pot to act in an exponential way without being some sort of active trickery, since you would be adding more signal throughout it's limit

Exponential

Logarithm vs linear
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Nov 21, 2013,
I have the Blues De'Ville 4x10, it has the same issue. I only use the clean channel with pedals. If you plug into the 2nd input jack the volume is reduced somewhat, I use that on about 2 for home use and plug into input 1 at about 4-5 with the band. Not sure if the Hot Rod has 2 jacks though.
Hi,

Would it hurt the amp to run an 8ohm speaker through the external speaker socket with a open plug in the main speaker socket. Doing this reduces the impedence to 4ohms. Would this reduce the actual volume?
I had a look at a website www.eurotubes.com and they had some great information on there about replacing the power tubes to reduce the output. Might give this a try also. They also have a great video on how to bias the tubes. http://www.eurotubes.com/eurotubes-Hotrod-Deluxe-How-To-Bias-Video-6L6-6V6-millivolts-mA.htm

Any help on the question about speaker ohmage would be appreciated.

Cheers
Quote by wowlace
Not sure if the Hot Rod has 2 jacks though.

It does.

You could throw one of these in the FX loop. I don't have one myself, but it looks like it would do what you want it to. You could certainly make one, if you're comfortable with electronics work. It doesn't appear to be very complicated to make one (given it's a pot and two jacks)
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
It's a pot in a box.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
cath ninja'd me.

Quote by bassmastamitch
It does.

You could throw one of these in the FX loop. I don't have one myself, but it looks like it would do what you want it to. You could certainly make one, if you're comfortable with electronics work. It doesn't appear to be very complicated to make one (given it's a pot and two jacks)

if it is similar to the one i foolishly bought for my splawn, don't wast your money. it is litterally a pot wired in reverse stuck in a plastic box. not much use. you can get a nice metal box a pot two jacks and 8" of wire and likely be a better pot and jacks, but also metal in stead of plastic
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Doesn't the amp have an FX send knob? If so you could just use a patch cable from send to return - but if Fender have foolishly used a linear pot on that too you'll be in the same boat.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Seriously, if OP tries the 2nd input he'll be ok. It's "heaps" quieter. Low enough for anyhow me anyhow, my neighbours never complain but the missus does.
Im going to try changing the 6L6 tubes to 6V6, and muck around with the 12AX7 tube with other brands as the dirty channel is very harsh. I have heard the JJ tubes are best for this. I understand that I will need to bias the power tubes. It doesn't look to hard.

Has anyone had any experiances with the tube change? Do you like the difference? Did it make much difference?

Please dont start the old argument about not changing factory specs as that was how they were made and should be left that way. I think everything can be improved or at least personalised.
Quote by cheekysnake
Has anyone had any experiances with the tube change? Do you like the difference? Did it make much difference?

Unless you have a faulty tube, it won't make a very pronounced difference. That OD channel is utter crap, there's not much you can do to save it. I've heard that a speaker change to something more modern like a V30 helps, but that takes away some of the goodness from the clean channel.

Quote by cheekysnake
Please dont start the old argument about not changing factory specs as that was how they were made and should be left that way. I think everything can be improved or at least personalised.

No one here will argue that (and I've never seen that argued, except for maybe renowned vintage gear.)
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
You sure you can replace the 6L6's with 6V6's in that amp? Those are really different tubes that just happen to share the same socket. I think they require a much lower bias and maybe a lower plate voltage... Cath or Matt can chime in there and correct me.

6V6's are a much smaller tube than 6L6's
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Yeah, JJ 6L6's will work in a HRD, often without even rebiasing them. Don't think it is going to achieve what he wants though. The reason you run 6V6's in a HRD is to get power tube breakup at lower volumes - not create lower volumes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hi Guys,
This is part of what Im after. At the moment with the 6L6 there is no way I can crank the amp and acheive some break up. Hopefull y this will acheive part of what I,m trying to acheive.
I have been able to try an attenuator and this has helped. I prefer not to try the volume in the effects loop as I want the tube drive when possible.
Will the different tubes in the pre amp help with the dirty channel or am I wasting my time and best just using a pedal for that?
You will already be running preamp tubes with the maximum gain available so no, changing preamp tubes won't help.
Cranking it into power tube distortion with 6V6's will still be damn loud. Like really ****ing loud.

Have you checked what taper pots are in it yet?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by cheekysnake
At the moment with the 6L6 there is no way I can crank the amp and acheive some break up.

What do you mean "no way?" Do you literally mean that completely cranked the amp doesn't distort or there's no way to get breakup at a sane volume?

This is a different problem from what you originally expressed, which was that the amp was just too loud, not too loud for breakup.

The best solution I've found is to try out a bunch of overdrive/distortion pedals find one that gets the tone you want, and utilize the volume control on the pedal to get bedroom volumes of good distortion. It's not the same, of course, but it's still the same essential tone, which is different from turning down the preamp gain simultaneously with the master (which is what the HRD's clean volume is, sadly.)
YouTube

Facebook
Twitter
I know this is different from my original question, but I thought it may be best to keep it in one thread. Yes the amp goes from nothing to loud from 0 to 1.5 on the volume knob. I have tried an attenuator and this helps a little for practice, however if I try the 6V6's I will be in a sweeter spot when rehearsing/gigging at a a reasonable level.

What do you mean "no way?" Do you literally mean that completely cranked the amp doesn't distort or there's no way to get breakup at a sane volume?

There is no way I can turn this amp up enough to get break up without having a 1000 foot long lead so I don't go deaf.LOL

Sorry for confusing people. I am trying to do 2 things at the same time.
1. Use the amp at a reasonable volume at home.
2. Crank the tubes at a reasonable gigging level.

Thanks to everyone for there input.
6V6's will make it more useable for power tube breakup at drummer volumes.

Did you check what taper your volume pots are yet? That is in reference to the original problem of course.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification