My distortion pedal is beeping.

I thought add a noise gate and it will be fine. Very wrong. before I added a noise gate I heard static with very quite FM radio. After I added a noise gate I start hearing beeping so loud that its almost as loud as the guitar.

It seems to be a combination of long and short beeps.

Almost like morse code.

Not sure if digital or analog.

What do I do?

Would putting aluminum foil on top of the top of my guitar amp to cover the 2 pedals do anything to stop the beeping?

Actually I found out that the distortion pedal is doing this even if there is no guitar connected and with the noise gate not connected. So this has nothing to do with the noise gate and nothing to do with the guitar. I even tried active pickups and it has the same result as passive pickups, so it has nothing to do with the guitar. Even with no cable connected to the distortion pedal it still is beeping. Everything is normal as soon as I turn the distortion pedal off.

Aluminum foil didn't do anything.
Last edited by dietermoreno at Nov 21, 2013,
unplug it if its power from an adapter. stick a battery in it, and see what it does. plug in and come back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
It doesn't have a battery slot, it only has an adapter.

but actually, the problem only did just happen as soon as I bought a new adapter from RadioShack to use the adapter I was previously using for it for a new pedal.

I'll try switching the adapter back to the old adapter and see if that "beeping" is actually the power capacitors motor boating and when the pedal is overdriven to feedback the feedback oscillates on and off at the frequency of the power capacitors, that is a possible theory.

Edit:

That was it!

When I switched the new adapter to the noise gate the noise gate makes the same sounds.

F****** RadioShack.

I don't have a receipt, but I think I'm never going to buy a power supply ever again without a receipt until I have tested it on my guitar amp. I'm going to go to RadioShack on Saturday and try buying another one and see if it works, this time keeping the receipt.
Last edited by dietermoreno at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by dietermoreno
It doesn't have a battery slot, it only has an adapter.

but actually, the problem only did just happen as soon as I bought a new adapter from RadioShack to use the adapter I was previously using for it for a new pedal.

I'll try switching the adapter back to the old adapter and see if that "beeping" is actually the power capacitors motor boating and when the pedal is overdriven to feedback the feedback oscillates on and off at the frequency of the power capacitors, that is a possible theory.

i have no idea. but radio shack adapters suck, i had a problem with one. i would advise on picking up a 1spot, which is a daisy chain with eight outputs. $30.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I looked at that radio shack power supply on an analog multimeter, and I found from the needle moving back and forth that it isn't actually a full wave rectifier, it is only a half wave rectifier. That is that the current only is in one direction, but there is a noticeable gap between the wave peaks that causes the analog audio device to pulse on and off.

I showed it to the employee at RadioShack while connected to the multimeter and I let him listen to it on headphones I brought. The employee told me he didn't know why it wasn't working and he told me to go to a guitar store to find out what power supply I need. He gave me a refund.

So I'm going to try taking my power supply (the one I still have that I didn't get a receipt for), analog multimeter, pedal, and headphones to Sam Ash on Monday and see if Sam Ash can help me.

If Sam Ash can't help me, until I think of a better idea, I'm going to take the Q tip connector that comes off of the power supply cable and solder the electrodes of the Q tip connector to wires for a 9 volt battery.

Edit:

**The daisy chaining from the 1spot you suggested is the better idea when I get the next pay check.**

Edit 2:

Actually, I had no idea what a 1spot was and when I Googled it I saw that Sam Ash sells it so I'll just try that there with my multi meter and headphones to avoid spending almost as much gas money as its worth to make another trip to Sam Ash later.
Last edited by dietermoreno at Nov 23, 2013,