I love the cleans on the Orange Dark Terror and ended up passing mine off to the guitarist in my girl-band (she uses a MIM Strat in E and plays almost exclusively cleans, sometimes light OD).

We are looking for a nice warm speaker to put in a 1x12 (a Krank 1x12). I like this amp with a V30 of course but am looking for something with relatively similar voice but a little less of the aggressive aspects. Would WGS ET 65 be a good option?

As a point of reference here are the speakers that I have owned/know the tones of well: Legend V12, G12K, V30, Swamp Thang, Texas Heat, Governor, GT-75 (only good for making fizzy amps unbearable IMO).

I know nothing about GT-65 style speakers or Greenbacks... or basically anything that metal players wouldn't normally be interested in.

For those who don't know of the coolness of the DT cleans here is a clip of it using my Emperor 2x12 with Eminence Legends and an Agile 727 (in an odd super low tuning F# B F# B E G C).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnI5Yhh7OTk
You might like the WGS Veteran 30. It's the same voicing as the Celestion V30, but a lot less harsh sounding.

My other recommendation would be a Creamback.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
shoot WGS an email stating you are looking to buy andneed suggestions, give a rundown of your rig, type of music, and the tone you want and they can make a pairing.

i have a reaper and veteran 30, which is basicaly a clone of a classic pair from celestion, the vintage 30 and i think the G12H30. the combo sounds great for just about anything. and, i paid about 50% of the cost of celestions.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
what type of cleans do you like? warm/middy or more scooped fender/blackfacey? british or american?

do you want some versatility in the speaker?

how did you like all those speakers you listed that you'd tried?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ev
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
what type of cleans do you like?
For this application, looking for jangly chimey cleans without being piercing on the top, versatility not important, higher SPL a plus. The DT does this well already, that's part of it's charm (present/detailed highs which manage to stay warm at volume)... looking to enhance this a dash. I might be splitting hairs, but it's fun for me to take things a little further.

I find that the cab that speakers are in makes a huge difference. Once I A/B'd a Legend V12 in my Krank cab with Legends in my Emperor 2x12. Surprising difference- the Emperor was way bigger (expected) with filled in lows and a nice 3D kind of resonance, tons of detail across the board. In contrast the Krank sounded like a small box and a bit dry, with highs tending to be more emphasized and less of the low/low mid warmth. The Kranks are alright cabs though and they reveal a speakers voice pretty obviously, they dont offer much in the way of mojo/magic.

In Krank 1x12:

Legend V12 - Good all around speaker with decent lows and lots of mids, slightly too-piercing highs. Legends are the bomb for metal IMO, they do have slightly boosted highs (4-5K range) relative to say a V30.
G12K - Overall punchy with dryness in the mids (that flat midrange profile), controllable highs. It's a little too tight and "forward" for what I'm looking for. I have an extra will probably try this again before giving it to her, just to be thorough. You don't think of chime when talking about G12K usually.
V30 - Worked well, I don't have spare on hand and would be looking for something cheaper.
Swamp Thang - Dark and boomy with silky smooth highs. Not a good jangly speaker and also noticeably heavy weightwise.
Texas Heat - A lot like the Swamp but smaller sounding with no additional benefits
Governor - Havent tried in 1x12 specifically. I like the ones I have (in an Emperor 2x12) but they are still breaking in, it's all midrange and I'm waiting for them to warm up. Govs are a bad-a** speaker.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Any idea why an ET-65 might not work for what I'm looking for? I just keep thinking about 'em cause I have no idea how they sound. Milder V30 clones will probably get the job done though.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Nov 21, 2013,
Thanks

I'm kind of a bit wary of suggesting anything, because your opinions about those speakers are almost the opposite from mine If I were to recommend something I liked, from the sounds of that, you might hate it.

I'd have said an et65 was more of a distortion speaker than a clean speaker- bit like a more modern greenback (sort of). Though i know a lot of TGPers seem to like it for cleaner tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'll admit my ear/brain is generally tuned to modern high gain tones (for example, "awesome" 80's tones confuse me) and I am not much of a guitarist, bassist primarily. I don't know much about traditional stuff, for example I never much got into stuff like 12-bar blues or blues in general but that's because I cant remember the chord changes. I don't own or know much about single coil guitars either. Prog metal and odd time sigs... that's my home.
normally i'd like a speaker with fewer mids for cleans

I should add i haven't tried the dark terror. i'm assuming it's british-voiced. i'd probably go with a british-voiced speaker, sometimes US-voiced speakers with british-voiced amps can sound weird (though some people like mixing and matching).

personally i'd probably try a g12h30 (if it has enough wattage and is modern-sounding enough) or a classic lead.

as i said, though, you seem to like totally different sounds from me, and your descriptions of the tone of the speakers you listed are almost the opposite of what i think, so it's probably not the best idea to listen to my suggestions
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
personally i'd probably try a g12h30 (if it has enough wattage and is modern-sounding enough)
Thanks for the thought... investigating Eminence Wizard as an option now (it's super-loudness should get the most out of the 15w DT).

You should play around on a DT if you ever have the chance. It can cover a wide range sounds has generally amazing tone for the price if you can find one used. For example, she hates her (relatively upgraded and nice sounding) Blues Jr. now because of it. Tung Sol RI in V1 takes DT a step further too (more detail and sustain).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?