Hi there,

I am a very average guitarist playing a dozen or so chords.
I do not have much technical knowledge of accessories beyond the on/off switch.

I want to purchase a multi-channel recorder so that I can try recording backing chords
to a song, then pick the tune whilst playing the chords back through my Fender amplifier.
I do not have access to a computer in the room where I play my guitar, but there is one in the house.

I obviously do not want to buy something which is professional standard and containing features that I would never use (or understand), but I do want to experiment a bit and maybe add drums etc.

I am confused by the range of product available and the language used to describe the specifications.

Could anyone advise me please?

Much appreciated.

Alf
There are some recommendations for multitrackers in the Interfaces sticky, do you have any specific queries? What have you looked at so far?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
There are some recommendations for multitrackers in the Interfaces sticky, do you have any specific queries? What have you looked at so far?

Hi Gary,

I looked at the Zoom R8 8-track digital recorder on a shop website and asked them a few questions - they said it was what I wanted, but it looks complicated, and of course they are looking to sell the product.
I liked the look of it, but not sure if I would understand the workings......

Alf
That Zoom 8-track would be good for you. Or a Tascam, something like that.

Maybe a guitar processor with a built in drum machine like a Digitech RP 300, that also records digitally.

You'll find that those things are very easy to use and lots of fun.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead

Maybe a guitar processor with a built in drum machine like a Digitech RP 300, that also records digitally.

The Digitech RP 300 does not record. The RP 355 has a USB port so you can record to a computer, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a buil-in record function either.
Quote by 5_Years_Dead

Thanks for your advice and taking the trouble to reply.
I'll look all three and choose one.
Alf
Unless they've added it to their latest models, Tascam don't tend to include a drum sequencer in their multitrackers.

The Zoom R8 is good, but it's designed to be hooked to to a PC for creation of your final mix. You'll still be able to do all the jamming & recording you like with it in your guitar room, but you'll need to go to your computer room to create the final product.

If you go with Zoom, make sure you get either the R8 or the R24, for some reason they didn't put include the built in drum machine on the R16. To hear what the drums are like, check out any of the recordings on my profile (except Man Who Sold The World), they were all programmed on a Zoom drum machine identical to the one built into the R8 & R24.

Boss Multitrackers are also worth looking into as they are fully standalone and have drum machines built in, but they can be a bit pricy.

And archangels is correct, the RP300 isn't a recorder. It can be used as a PC interface, but the interfaces built into effects units are generally considered to be pretty poor and as you don't play in the same room as your computer, it wouldn't meet your requirements anyway.

Finally, with your comment about the R8 looking complicated....I'm afraid you'll have to learn how to use it! Multitrackers are pretty advanced kit these days, so they have to be a bit complicated. The manuals tend to be fairly well written with step by step instructions though, you just have to take your time to go through them.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This - has beats, guitar effects, multi track, pretty damn simple to use, portable and you can hook it to your amp or headphones or whatever as well as your PC.

Can probably find some used pretty cheaply.

Boss MicroBR-80, Boss also has numerous backing tracks and play along lessons that you can download, run through the unit to as an added feature.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1167
Jackson: DKMG w/Zakk Wylde EMGs
Fender: Fat Strat HSS
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom w/SD Pickups
Dean: Performer E Acoustic/Electric
Vox: DA5
Vox JamVox
Digitech: GNX4 Workstation
Digitech: EX-7 Distortion Factory
Boss DR-880
MAudio Bx5a Deluxe