I made a thread earlier where I was unsure whether my tubes broke or if it was something else. I am now certain it was the tubes and I need new ones. I want to cease the opportunity to get a different brand/type because my preferences have drifted a lot since I bought the amp.

So the JSX can handle EL34s and 6L6s. I assume any of the tubes listed under the names will work? The user leondb listed a review site for me. Some of the tubes have different names like the KT77s I have heard much about. So these will work too, right?
http://www.thetubestore.com/EL34-Tube-Review
http://www.thetubestore.com/6L6-Tube-Review

Next is the wattage. I assume they will all be compatible and just vary in output!?

Then there are all the sets. Matched set, matched quad etc. Does it matter as long as I get 4 of the same tubes or do I have to get a quad set.

Lastly, I thought a long time about what to get because I play pretty much every style out there and I can never have enough versatility. If I had to go for one sound though it would probably be a thick blues sound with lots of vintage in it. Also kind of an SRV and Hendrix touch. When I got the JSX I was more into leads. The question is, is it even worth it to try and get that kind of sound or is it maybe a bad idea trying to get the amp to sound vintage when it really isn't? If you think it would make sense, which ones would be the best tubes?

Money isn't really an issue. I'd prefer not to pay premium $$$ for some boutique über-rare tubes, but I sure as hell don't mind paying 100-200 for a quad set.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I have a XXX II (same thing as your JSX) and I run JJ EL34L's to give me the best of both 6L6 and EL34's. They have a bit more bottom end than the standard EL34's. That being said, the JSX is a modern sounding amp and probably not going to give you a vintage tone without dialing back the gain alot, Its never gonna sound like a SLP '59 or a JMP. You could try running a tube screamer through the clean channel which I have done on occasion for AC/DC type stuff. Your amp is meant for metal and leads. Thats what it does best.
The output tubes don't make a heap of difference unless you are running the amp into power tube distortion. My usual answer is SED =C= if you can afford them, JJ if you can't.
Whether you go for pentode or tetrode is a bit loaded. I need to know, how hard do you run your amp? If you are diming it then go for EL34L (or just EL34 in SED) for Hendrixy tones (shutup people, I know he mainly used KT66's but this is a JSX so ) and 6L6's for SRV. At lower volumes, buy whichever is cheaper.

The preamp, that's where we can do the most good with tube selection. In general with JSX's I'd say JJ ECC83 but you really want to tame the amp so maybe stick a 12AT7 or even a 12AY7 in V1 and maybe V2. JJ ECC83S tubes everywhere else. Experiment.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Nov 21, 2013,
I'm actually driving it pretty hard usually. I have an attenuator and I use it every time I play. The JSX got me some pretty cool bluesy and hendrixy tones in the clean channel with a tube screamer (I'm not using my ts9 atm but sth else which I prefer, I don't remember the name though oO) or the amber channel with low distortion and high volume. It sounds way too thin for the really great blues sounds though. So I guess thick and airy would be what I am going for. While the JSX clean channel is great, it sounds somewhat sterile. Anything that colors the tone is actually appreciated.
I don't remember the Orange channel ever being thin sounding. But then again I mostly ran it with 6L6s which definitely thicken the amp up quite a bit. 6L6s also added a bit more character to the cleans, although at higher volumes they could mud out a bit.

KT77s would definitely be worth a shot as well. They're essentially all the best parts of both the 6L6 & EL34 tubes. Extra beef without losing that upper mid punch.

Also with an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop there is literally nothing the amp can't do.
I had good luck with KT77 in my JSX, 6Ca7 tubes are also worth a look.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
KT77s seem to be recommended all over the place. Gonna do a little more research and then maybe get a set of those. How much of a difference does an EQ really make? I don't think I've ever heard one in action. It's kinda funny, I get endless compliments about my playing, now a shit load about PCs, hardware and science, but when it comes to audio technology I am just one big ****ing noob.
I EQ in the loop on a JSX makes a big diff IMO. If you feel your mids are weak then you can eq those nicely. I use a MXR 10 band and love it. I had a Boss GE-7 but it was rather noisy for some reason.
Quote by jgebhardt
I EQ in the loop on a JSX makes a big diff IMO. If you feel your mids are weak then you can eq those nicely. I use a MXR 10 band and love it. I had a Boss GE-7 but it was rather noisy for some reason.
It was noisy because it was a Boss GE-7.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification