Hey guys --

I recently acquired a Crate stereo 412 cab. It has four 16 ohm Celestion G12S-50s. I pulled the two out from the right side of the cab and replaced them with my Eminence Governor and now a Swamp Thang (both 16 ohm as well). Here is a link to a youtube vid showing what my jackplate looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLBgk1IVT0

So far I have run the cab by plugging into the left "in" jack, and have selected "16ohm mono" on the cab's selector switch. I have run my amp on its 16 ohm setting. By switching it the other way, it says "4ohms mono" OR "8ohms stereo."

The way the speakers are wired is this: On one side, the positive side of the top speaker is connected to the positive side of the bottom speaker, while the negatives are connected to the negatives. The same goes for the other side. The speakers are not connected left to right.

If I'm not mistaken, can I select 8 ohm Stereo, plug into the right or left jack, and hear only ONE SIDE or the other? (I would also have to switch my amp's impedence to 8 ohms). Am I correct in my thinking? I don't want to fry my amp...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Nov 21, 2013,
Quote by KailM

If I'm not mistaken, can I select 8 ohm Stereo, plug into the right or left jack, and hear only ONE SIDE or the other? (I would also have to switch my amp's impedence to 8 ohms). Am I correct in my thinking? I don't want to fry my amp...

Should be, yeah, but you'd need to check the wiring etc. to see exactly which speakers are selected when you go to the stereo setting. I'm guessing you want to hear the two different types of speaker alone.

The other guys here are far better than me on the technical things, so if you have any follow-up questions they'd be getting beyond my pay grade
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks fellas! I just wanted to check before trying it. Indeed, I want to hear just the two Eminence speakers without the Celestions, and vice versa. I just got the
Swamp Thang yesterday and am contemplating another one and a Governor crossed. It's hard to know unless I can isolate just those two speakers.

Overall, it sounds great running all four speakers, and I know I still have AT LEAST 30 hours of break-in time to get the Swamp T up to par. Eminences take forever to break-in...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Well, last night I tried switching the selector to 8 ohms stereo (and also my amp's impedence to 8 ohms), and it still rang out through all four speakers.

So I quickly turned it off and switched everything back. I didn't try the "right" jack on the cab though. Maybe it will only play through the other side of the cab when "stereo" is selected? Any ideas?
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood