Hey guys, just wondered if there were any Dean users on this forum? Just because there seems to be a difference in Dean lately, with most of their guitars at NAMM were moving away from Dime, Dime, Dime and more Dime and here's a Mustaine guitar... So I'm just wondering if anyone has tried them and if they were decent (Thinking the Six In Lines and Chicago Import series)

Naturally I've noticed a lot of people dislike Dean's on this forum, is it just because of the Razorback (I love playing mine, sounds really thin though) or is there something else I've missed?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have 2 Deans- a Special Select EVO and a Time Capsule Cadillac. Love 'em both.

Dean gets a bad rap for 2 main reasons:

1) their sub-$500 guitar product include some shockingly bad guitars, and others that are simply not as good as comparably priced guitars. (Over $500, they are competitive.)

2) in part because of their contract with Dimebag, they have beat the HELL out of D's (and other guitarists) name with their marketing and product offerings. Many of the Dime products were not as good as they could/should have been.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Really? Now bare it in mind I haven't played very many Dean's minus the Razorback I own (Nobody seems to buy any Dean's except Razorbacks where I am) I mean the whole Dime whoring I can see.

What's so bad about their sub $500 guitars, QC?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I used to own an MLX guitar for a bit and compared to other guitars in the price range it just didn't compare. A few issues i had were sharp frets, inntonation issues even after a set up, and the other deans at that price range had the same issues more or less. I did play a VMNT Angel of Deth V and loved it and the '79 ML was a solid guitar.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
The sub$500s Deans have an array of problems. Some, it's just that there are better guitars for the price- Ibanez & Fernandes spring immediately to mind. Some it's QC. Some are bad from tip to tip with bad materials, bad parts and all that jazz. So I find it's best to just avoid them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Nov 21, 2013,
I took a chance on a first gen Metalman Z bass back when they first came out. $200 bass. Still have it, still play it, still love it. I even recorded with it in my band a few years back. I've never heard another bass that can growl like that one does. Did I get a diamond from the rough? Maybe I got lucky? Maybe it's just not worth getting rid of.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Alright, thanks.

Cause I was very interested in one of the Chicago Flame V's at somepoint, especially considering that they are made in Korea.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I love my Razorback! The only reason i don't play it out is because it doesn't fit my needs as a pop rock/alternative band. I'm trading it for a Fatstrat and cash in a few days. sad to see it go but it'll get more love that way haha.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The Chicagos seem to be pretty decent.